• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Touhou Smash Game?

ScarletRed012

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScarletRed012
3DS FC
2079-4334-7623
So I'm unsure if anyone here is really familiar with the game The Touhou Project but personally I've always LOVED it's cast of characters, and wondered to myself: How would it fair as a Smash Game itself. I can't really program as of yet nor know of any engine that would be good to make a smash game in anyway, so I guess I should leave a character concept down below.

Sakuya Izayoi
Speed - I feel Sakuya would be among the faster characters the game has to offer. Maybe around Lucina's speed.
Jab - Simple three hit attack. Punches once, then brings out a knife for the second hit that's a simple slash, and the third attack is sort of an up-motion that can possibly make them launch (depending on the percent of course)
Dash Attack - Would dash forward and push her knives outwards, which can launch the enemy a good bit diagonally upwards.
Up-Air - A back flip mid-air. She would pull out her blades and swipe above her during this animation, which would shoot the enemy even more up. Personally I would give this move as much power as a Robin up-air with the chance of KOing.
F-Air - Kicks the enemy towards the direction, nothing too fancy here.
Back-Air - Hits behind her with a knife, sort of like a "quick react" attack.
Down-Air - Slams both her blades down below her, like a pushing animation (only with her knives)
Neutral B - Throws a knife around the length of half the screen, so it would be a bit difficult to camp with this, but it would probably deal a steady amount of damage if it hits (nothing ridiculous but like maybe 3% or so)
Side-B - Throws a circular ball of green energy at a direction, and leaves it down for about 2 - 3 seconds. If an enemy is caught walking it it, they freeze, as well as anything being tossed in it is frozen in time as well. But Sakuya is immune to this time-field.
Down-B - I feel a counter would work well with her (given her time manipulations) so maybe when they're about to hit her, her counter animation would be: Gets out a stopwatch and if hit, she clicks a button that would stop time, and she would counter the attack. (if you understand what I mean by this)
Up-B - She would spin with her blades above her and shoot upwards in the direction of your left stick.
Forward-Smash - Would have her look like she's precisely aiming where to land the blade, as she slowly moves it backwards (her charging) and then she would shoot forwards a small distance (kind of like Lucina/FakeMarth in Fire Emblem Awakening).
Up-Smash - I feel something like Lucina's Up Smash would work just fine for Sakuya. Except it being a sword, it's a knife of course ^^
Down-Smash - Something similar to Robin's down smash, where she slams her blade downwards in front of her.
Forward-Tilt - A simple sweeping motion in front of her with her blade, knocking the enemy up a tiny bit.
Up-Tilt - A knife uppercut. Depending on the percent it can shoot the enemy up a great deal (for a tilt anyway) that you can probably combo off of with some up-airs or something else.
Down-Tilt - Simply pokes at the feet of an enemy but will be able to trip them in this process.
Grab - A simply grab that wouldn't be much different from normal.
Down-Throw - Would slam you to the ground which you send you flying upwards.
Forward-Throw - Would simply toss you in the direction she is facing.
Back-throw - Would spin 180 degrees with you close to her and then power-punch you to the side but up in the air.
Up-Throw - A simple launch up in the air
Throughout all of these throws, the background would grow dim signifying a slowdown of time (maybe slow the background animations too).

Unsure if anything like this has been posted before since I'm actually new here... but I felt like this would be a neat character concept to see in Touhou-Smash game. If anyone has any ideas to balance a character or even input your own ideas and character concepts entirely I would give you credit for everything. (I'll probably add a change-log and give that person credit)

Character is not created by me... http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Touhou_Wiki for more information on characters and maybe if you don't know the game but want to contribute, pick a character and take a look around ^^

I wonder if something like this could be made anyway, lol

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
FromSoySauce had a working prototype for a TouHou fighter awhile back, but since he started on it without full consent from ZUN it was canned.

he's now trying to build a doujin Smash game over that instead, so that may be worth a look.

Last edited:

ScarletRed012

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScarletRed012
3DS FC
2079-4334-7623
FromSoySauce had a working prototype for a TouHou fighter awhile back, but since he started on it without full consent from ZUN it was canned.

he's now trying to build a doujin Smash game over that instead, so that may be worth a look.
I know all about this ^^ still would be cool if a group of non-profit developers could make a fan smash game. I would be down to play that. But I really want to see the official touhou Characters make it into a smash-like game. Because it's interesting to see how something like that would work. But either way I think I'll still give the Doujin Smash game a shot.

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
A Touhou Smash Game popped up a while ago but the Dojin Circle killed it for using Crowd Funding. I'm pretty sure it's still being developed but in a more secretive area.

In my own Smash Fan Game, Reimu was being considered, but I dropped her from the roster since the creator of the game hates her being in crossovers. So she's probably scrapped or being added last. If you wanna know more it's in the Dev Studio area under 'Super Smash Bros. 3D'.

ScarletRed012

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScarletRed012
3DS FC
2079-4334-7623
A Touhou Smash Game popped up a while ago but the Dojin Circle killed it for using Crowd Funding. I'm pretty sure it's still being developed but in a more secretive area.

In my own Smash Fan Game, Reimu was being considered, but I dropped her from the roster since the creator of the game hates her being in crossovers. So she's probably scrapped or being added last. If you wanna know more it's in the Dev Studio area under 'Super Smash Bros. 3D'.
That's quite interesting. Personally I'd like to see some sort of "modded" type (or non profit) work of touhou. With constant updates and multiple characters being added. It's probably impossible but something like crusade would work (they may run in donations) with graphics similar to an official smash game. Probably can't be done but I can dream xD

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
That's quite interesting. Personally I'd like to see some sort of "modded" type (or non profit) work of touhou. With constant updates and multiple characters being added. It's probably impossible but something like crusade would work (they may run in donations) with graphics similar to an official smash game. Probably can't be done but I can dream xD
Yeah that's how it is.

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
Is it still being worked on?
Touhou smash game would be really cool, but complicated to do.
I'm not entirely sure in all honesty. It got hammered by the Dojin Circle because of crowd funding. They said they'd refund everyone and continue working on it, but no videos have been around for a while. You can find the videos by doing a little googling. It used Melee Physics and looked like it'd be stupid fast.

NightmareViperSlash

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemonGamer1996
3DS FC
4441-9480-1382
I'm not entirely sure in all honesty. It got hammered by the Dojin Circle because of crowd funding. They said they'd refund everyone and continue working on it, but no videos have been around for a while. You can find the videos by doing a little googling. It used Melee Physics and looked like it'd be stupid fast.
Well I did find there channel, apparently their last video was two days ago so maybe they're still working on it?

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
Well I did find there channel, apparently their last video was two days ago so maybe they're still working on it?
Oh? I haven't viewed it in a while, and at the time the last one was a while ago. Seems they're still alive. I'd suggest viewing the dev copy videos.

ScarletRed012

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScarletRed012
3DS FC
2079-4334-7623
That seems to be their other doujin spirit game. I really would prefer a touhou one just because of the characters and possibilities but maybe I'll give this a shot. HOPEFULLY they will continue the touhou game under non-profit circumstances. Would be nice..

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
That seems to be their other doujin spirit game. I really would prefer a touhou one just because of the characters and possibilities but maybe I'll give this a shot. HOPEFULLY they will continue the touhou game under non-profit circumstances. Would be nice..
I hope one comes up - I was considering Touhou characters for my fan game based on the Touhou Fan Game, but the creator HATES crossovers. Out of fear of the Dojin Circle and how vigorously they defend the creators, I asked him if it's possible to happen. Let's just say I can't speak to the guy again.

The fan game? Right here:
http://smashboards.com/threads/super-smash-bros-3d-devs-and-modelers-wanted.414555/

ScarletRed012

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScarletRed012
3DS FC
2079-4334-7623
I hope one comes up - I was considering Touhou characters for my fan game based on the Touhou Fan Game, but the creator HATES crossovers. Out of fear of the Dojin Circle and how vigorously they defend the creators, I asked him if it's possible to happen. Let's just say I can't speak to the guy again.

The fan game? Right here:
http://smashboards.com/threads/super-smash-bros-3d-devs-and-modelers-wanted.414555/
Damn... well wouldn't it be possible to make a touhou-ONLY game (which really isn't a crossover considering there is touhouvania etc... meaning like a completely touhou styled smash bros in of itself and count it as a fan-game) that'd be cool imo.

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
Damn... well wouldn't it be possible to make a touhou-ONLY game (which really isn't a crossover considering there is touhouvania etc... meaning like a completely touhou styled smash bros in of itself and count it as a fan-game) that'd be cool imo.
I'm hoping to add Reimu and Chen as the final characters so I can slip away as they're added. Idk though.

Top Bottom