• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TO's ruining tournament experience regarding Mii rules

T0MMY

Smash Master
I posted about the debacle of a SSB4 tournament that was the dec '14 PNWR the TO of that event DQ'd players with a "Mii ban" put in place last minute after attendees had already registered AND paid.

Well, so what, that was a stupid mistake by a newby TO that didn't know what he was doing with a new game just a month old you may say.
Well, now things hit home.

There are two different weeklies in my town and neither one of them ban Mii fighters nor limit them. The UO Smash Club who run one of the weeklies throw a big tournament. When asking about which Stages were going to be used I was told Apex rules were in place.
Such a sudden shift in rules that we've been using this whole time. Then I start hearing complaints about the bracket - but they had the locations of everyone, it shouldn't be difficult to seed it properly. That's when I find out the same TO from PNWR was running SSB4 and the same problems are happening as there - seeding completely whack, people facing their own crewmates, and last-minute rules decisions.

But the most ridiculous thing is that the TO decides that Apex rules are to be used, so that means only a 1-1-1-1 default Mii can be used, yet does not tell anyone to set up their consoles with the default Mii to use! So if anyone wanted to use a Mii they could not.

Wait, did I say that was the most ridiculous thing?
Actually, the most ridiculous thing was that the TO himself was competing and when he played against my brother who chose a 1-1-1-1 Mii Gunner he cried about Mii's were banned and he'd be DQ'd. When my brother informed him Apex rules allowed Miis he denies it and instead of checking the rules he asked some random person and they said Mii were banned - obviously the attendees were told something completely different or so confused at this point they didn't even know the rules.
After many tears were shed the rules were finally brought up showing that Mii were allowed with 1-1-1-1 sets.
Utterly ridiculous that this TO was allowed to host at the event after PNWR.
At least I didn't have to pay nearly $50 to get DQ'd like at PNWR.

I quit playing competitively after 2011 and just play to have fun. Now I feel like I can't even do that. After the Greninja nerf Mii was the only character I really enjoyed playing with only a couple other characters on the side. So this was my last tournament as a Mii main. Probably just going to play Diddy 'cuz why not.

Anyone else got similar story?
I'm wondering how Apex went regarding the Mii rule and what people think.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Don't do it, never go full Diddy :(

If it's the exact same guy, then screw him. From what you've told us, he's obviously and idiot who has no business organizing tournaments, even if he has experience. I've been playing Mii Brawler as my secondary for a long LONG time. Everyone I know has already played against my Mii Brawler and they know it's a kickass character who doesn't deserve to be banned. Same thing goes for all the TOs I've met (none of them think Mii has to be banned, it's ridiculous)... although I've mainly used Captain Falcon when I'm going serious business, heh.

I'm actually just realizing that I didn't see ONE Mii being played at Apex. Figures, considering the 1111 rules :\

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
Limiting the Miis is ridiculous.

Honestly this is one of the things that could actually stop me from attending any major tournaments like EVO. I really hope they don't ban Miis, and let them use 1111, 2222, 3333 loadouts.

Everyone in Panama is clear on the fact that Miis shouldn't be banned and we reached a decision that they could use 1111, 2222, 3333 loadouts since it could be used with Customs Off and as long as the Miis were default height/weight (Guest Miis). It took a little convincing from my part but soon after everyone realized that there was no reason to ban Miis, especially when there are characters that are noticeably more OP than the Mii Brawler.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Miis should be allowed regardless if customs are legal or not the weight and height differences can be easily adapted to though Miis would have to have 1-1-1-1 setups just like the rest of the cast if customs are off.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I hope we get to a point where Mii Brawler can use whatever custom it wants to use, because right now, limiting them is sort of ridiculous. I don't mind using guest miis forever (creating a mii in front of your opponent is basically assuring them that there is no equipment equipped on your mii, whatsoever) but forcing us to use a loadout that is not ideal for everyone is... well, idiotic.

I don't mind 1111 2222 and 3333 loadouts but it's obvious that they're not ideal.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Limiting the Miis is ridiculous.

Honestly this is one of the things that could actually stop me from attending any major tournaments like EVO. I really hope they don't ban Miis, and let them use 1111, 2222, 3333 loadouts.

Everyone in Panama is clear on the fact that Miis shouldn't be banned and we reached a decision that they could use 1111, 2222, 3333 loadouts since it could be used with Customs Off and as long as the Miis were default height/weight (Guest Miis). It took a little convincing from my part but soon after everyone realized that there was no reason to ban Miis, especially when there are characters that are noticeably more OP than the Mii Brawler.
People are just salty about Miis being in the game nothing wrong with them though they should always be 1111 if customs are off it would be unfair for the rest of the cast if the Miis have access to more than one set of moves when they don't.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
I hope we get to a point where Mii Brawler can use whatever custom it wants to use, because right now, limiting them is sort of ridiculous. I don't mind using guest miis forever (creating a mii in front of your opponent is basically assuring them that there is no equipment equipped on your mii, whatsoever) but forcing us to use a loadout that is not ideal for everyone is... well, idiotic.

I don't mind 1111 2222 and 3333 loadouts but it's obvious that they're not ideal.
It would be unfair for anyone else using different characters when customs are off for Miis to use any of their custom moves since the other characters do not have access to their other moves anything goes if customs are on though except equipment.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
First off, that TO sounds like a Class A moron. Second of all, that TO sounds like a Class A moron. Sorry but it had to be mentioned twice.

While I'll admit using vanilla Miis isn't ideal, it is blatantly unfair to allow them access to customs while other characters don't have the option to do so. Height and weight differences could easily be compromised by having players use guest Miis, as others have said. But just because a character is customization-based doesn't all of a sudden mean they get a free pass on the current no custom moves ruleset (God that sentence sounds redundant. Can we just let custom moves be legal already?)

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
How is it unfair for Miis to use other loadouts apart from 1111 when you can still use them with customs off, while every other character needs you to have customs ON for them to use their custom moves. Basically this contradicts everything since the actual game is telling you that the Mii moves are not considered custom and are a part of the character, they were made with those intentions.

While I am pro-custom moves, it is true that every other character has to have "Customs: ON" in order for them to use their custom moves, and Miis can use them with "Customs: OFF", this basically means that the game developers intended for the Miis to be used in a default/neutral setting. If they are intended for default/neutral settings, then why are you going to ban/limit them? - It may be a while for other characters to get their Customs Moves approved, but Miis shouldn't even be thought about limiting their repertoire.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
How is it unfair for Miis to use other loadouts apart from 1111 when you can still use them with customs off, while every other character needs you to have customs ON for them to use their custom moves. Basically this contradicts everything since the actual game is telling you that the Mii moves are not considered custom and are a part of the character, they were made with those intentions.

While I am pro-custom moves, it is true that every other character has to have "Customs: ON" in order for them to use their custom moves, and Miis can use them with "Customs: OFF", this basically means that the game developers intended for the Miis to be used in a default/neutral setting. If they are intended for default/neutral settings, then why are you going to ban/limit them? - It may be a while for other characters to get their Customs Moves approved, but Miis shouldn't even be thought about limiting their repertoire.
Just because the Customs option is Off when selecting a Mii's moveset doesn't diminish the fact that the different moves are custom moves. And since other custom moves are present for other characters--the only difference in them being that you must turn on Customs to use them--wouldn't that mean that custom moves are intended for everyone? It's sound logic to say that Miis were made in this game to be customizable. It's not sound however, to allow them to use custom moves while barring the rest of the fighters from doing so. How is that fair at all? Especially considering some characters (Palutena) have much better options when using different moves? While I agree with you in the facts Miis were made to play as custom characters, allowing them special benefits while withholding them from the rest of the cast is quite discriminatory, and only levels the playing field for them.

Simple solution, why can't we just have custom moves?

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
Just because the Customs option is Off when selecting a Mii's moveset doesn't diminish the fact that the different moves are custom moves. And since other custom moves are present for other characters--the only difference in them being that you must turn on Customs to use them--wouldn't that mean that custom moves are intended for everyone? It's sound logic to say that Miis were made in this game to be customizable. It's not sound however, to allow them to use custom moves while barring the rest of the fighters from doing so. How is that fair at all? Especially considering some characters (Palutena) have much better options when using different moves? While I agree with you in the facts Miis were made to play as custom characters, allowing them special benefits while withholding them from the rest of the cast is quite discriminatory, and only levels the playing field for them.

Simple solution, why can't we just have custom moves?
How are these "special benefits" if the actual game allows you to use them under default settings? - Remember I'm talking about a default guest mii with avarage height/weight and 1111, 2222, 3333 loadouts.

With the other characters the game doesn't allow for their custom moves to be used in a default setting, instead you have to have customs on which is what I was saying.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Just because something is a default setting doesn't mean it's good. That would mean people would be playing with items on, all stages, with 2-minute stockless battles. Team Attack wouldn't even be on.

I understand that the game allows Mii Fighters to use customs by default--but that principle doesn't hold water, and gives them access to entirely different moves. Even if those moves don't help them that much, it's still an unlevel playing field.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Just because something is a default setting doesn't mean it's good. That would mean people would be playing with items on, all stages, with 2-minute stockless battles. Team Attack wouldn't even be on.

I understand that the game allows Mii Fighters to use customs by default--but that principle doesn't hold water, and gives them access to entirely different moves. Even if those moves don't help them that much, it's still an unlevel playing field.
You can use Miis. If you don't want to, oh well. Plus we can use it as a start for getting customs allowed: If people become fine with Mis having loadouts, why not allow the rest next? Baby steps, my friend.

Shakyy

Addicted to Ice.
NNID
Shakyy
I've been arguing since the release that Mii's and Palutena should have access to their customs as they're uniquely unlocked from the start and alter the moves in a major way, there is barely any negatives other than people complaining about adapting.

RoboTek

Smash Rookie
These issues will likely naturally be ground away as operators gain more experience and understanding with the situation.

Until then, however, it might be a bit rough.

Top Bottom