• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Torterra: The Continental Pokemon Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Torterra is the final evolution of the grass starter Pokemon Turtwig. It is a grass and ground type.

Why should this Pokemon be in Smash Bros?
People think that there might be a grass final evolution starter Pokemon to complement Charizard and Greninja.

Playstyle
Torterra would work like any other heavy weight character, being slow and powerful, but with a terrible recovery.

Moveset (by Fortanono)
B (Absorb): Torterra charges a projectile like Lucario's Aura Sphere, except it heals Torterra half the damage it takes away.
Side B (Leaf Storm): Torterra sends a flurry of weak leaves from his tree. These fly in the direction he's pointing.
Up B (Wood Hammer): Torterra lunges upwards, his tree doing massive damage and knockback to whoever it touches.
Down B (Withdraw): A different move from Squirtle's. Torterra hides in his shell, making him more damage resistant. However, he cannot do anything and when getting up after the move, he gets up slowly and is very vulnerable.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I love Torterra a lot but I don't see him happening. There's no way to downsize him without doing him an injustice. He'd have to be the biggest character in the game to be legit

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
Torterra would be pretty fun, he was my favorite 4th gen starter.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I love Torterra a lot but I don't see him happening. There's no way to downsize him without doing him an injustice. He'd have to be the biggest character in the game to be legit
I don't think he'd have to be that big. For the record, Torterra is 7'03'' tall, while Ganondorf is 7'06'', and he fits just fine. In terms of overall body length, Torterra would probably only be as wide as two Bowsers at most, which is massive, yes, but not out of the realm of playability, especially if Torterra can be made into a unique "ultraheavyweight" fighter. Incredibly slow, incredibly large, and incredibly hard to kill.

I support because I want a Grass starter, and Torterra is both my favorite and perhaps the most unique option we have. I'd love if we had a legitimate Mighty Glacier fighter. This will never happen in a million years, however. How would Torterra hold and use items? How would it grab ledges? It doesn't learn any vine-based moves, like Ivysaur, so that's out of the question.

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
While i can't begin to describe how awesome it is that that my favorite pokemon is even a valid candidate for smash, I unfortunately think the grass starter assuming of course there indeed is one will more than likely come from an unrepresented gen Meganium, Serperior, or of course Sceptile. That said toreterra getting in as the heaviest character in the game who takes forever to kill would be sweet

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
As much as like this character, I don't see this working.

Also Greninja and Charizard did not get in by some stipulation by their own merit. I don't see any other grass starter other than Ivy getting in. We already have four pokemon representatives fighting for that potential fifth pokemon slot as is.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Torterra is one of my favorite Pokemon. I support, even if he's unlikely!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

One of the best starters. Shame that Sceptile is probably the frontrunner for a grass starter.

Torterra would easily be the heaviest, slowest and most powerful character in the game.

Torterra would be really interesting and I would welcome it into the cast. Unfortunately I don't really know how he would fight. He's massive and is constantly on four legs. He's the continent Pokemon after all.

I always imagined him as Pokeball Pokemon. He pops out but doesn't attack, instead his body acts as a part of the stage. You can run along his back and jump onto the tree. He sticks around for a minute or so occasionally taking a few steps left and right; just long enough to change things up.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I really dig Torterra's design, but it seems rather unlikely. I don't doubt it could be made to work; it could hold items with vines.

I doubt we will get two large, shelled monsters in one game. Bowser probably hurts Torterra's chances.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I really dig Torterra's design, but it seems rather unlikely. I don't doubt it could be made to work; it could hold items with vines.

I doubt we will get two large, shelled monsters in one game. Bowser probably hurts Torterra's chances.
Torterra doesn't learn any moves making use of vines, though, does it? I think the closest thing is Grass Knot.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about Torterra's vague similarities to Bowser affecting its chances (not that they're existent to begin with). Greninja is a second lithe, blue-colored, speedy ninja like Sheik. Rosalina is another floaty, magic-using princess like Zelda. At least Torterra has vastly different abilities from Bowser and a completely unique body type. Besides, Squirtle got into Brawl besides also being a turtle, and Nintendo seems totally fine giving us a turtle overload in Mario Kart 8.

No, I'm not just saying that because I like turtles.

onjai_x3

Smash Cadet
NNID
onjai_x3
As much as I love the final evolutions off all 3 generation 4 starters, I couldn't see him being picked over Empoleon, and especially Infernape.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Torterra was my first gen 4 starter. He's cool. Don't put him in smash. That is all.

He'd be ril cool though <3

Last edited:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
If there is to be a fully evolved grass starter to complete the triad, Torterra would definitely be my choice. He reminds me of that one Colossus at the lake from Shadow of the Colossus.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
To be perfectly frank, as much as I love Torterra, I would sacrifice him in a second if I could get Ivysaur back...

Though I'd be very content if they were both present.

TheLegendOfVenusaur

Smash Apprentice
Good Points
1unique - he'd be the heaviest, largest and slowest fighter in the game
2.He completes the fire/water/ grass thingy

Bad Points
1 Importance- with gen 3 remakes around the corner, he's completely overshadowed by sceptile
2.Feasible? Ivysaur was always on all fours but he had vines to attack with. Torterra, however doesn't use vines so it might not be completely possible to put him in and stay true to the character
3. 4th gen is already represented by Lucario
4. Popularity. Most people would defiantly prefer Sceptile or Serperior over torterra as the grass rep and Torterra is easily the least popular 4th gen starter (but my favourite!)
5. Jigglypuff still hasn't been announced and people still want Mewtwo. It's most likely that only one more pokemon will be in the game and torterra just isn't anywhere near as important as these two or the previously mentioned Sceptile and possibly Serperior.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Find this thread the same day I evolve my shiny Grotle:estatic:

But seriously, while this obviously won't happen, I'd absolutely love for it to. Torterra is my 2nd favorite starter other than Blastoise and I'd be ecstatic to have him in. *sigh* if only he was the Greninja of Sinnoh..

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Find this thread the same day I evolve my shiny Grotle:estatic:

But seriously, while this obviously won't happen, I'd absolutely love for it to. Torterra is my 2nd favorite starter other than Blastoise and I'd be ecstatic to have him in. *sigh* if only he was the Greninja of Sinnoh..
Slightly off topicish but I really wish that shiny Torterra was an autumn version like the shiny Breloom is. Imagine the glory.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
He's also completely irrelevant! he has not starred in a game since what, like, 2008?
Then again, Koffing and Chandelure are back in Smash Run, so he could be in; but theres a big pokemon in it as a boss, so it's probably him.

Last edited:

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
Torterra is my most favorite Pokemon ever. I'd love if he were in!

Realistically I don't really see it happening of course, but I support!

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
We'll Greninja's my favorite water starter and Charizard's my third favorite fire starter, so my favorite grass starter would be a great addition. Sceptile can stay in ORAS fourth gen needs some love.
Torterra can be THE heavyweight. He can grab and hold items in his mouth. I have a moveset for him.
Neutral B: Bullet Seed Torterra shoots a seed out of his mouth, if charged several seeds will be shot quickly.
Side B: Iron Head chargeable Torterra ducks his head in and lunges. It has high priority
Up B: Leaf Storm leaves swirl around Torterra and quickly shoot upwards, it doesn't boost if Torterra is on the ground.
Down B: Earthquake Torterra smashes the ground with his front legs. It has high knock back, Torterra will slam down quickly if in the air. It's not jump cancelable.
His new mechanic can be his specials leave hazards on the field leech seed latches onto the opponent and saps their health, Stealth rock is buried and pops up when an opponent walks on it, and grassy terrain causes the opponent to trip and heals torterra slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom