• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

top level game play

zeta

Smash Journeyman
Every time i come onto the falco board i don't see anything useful. As a result of this I decided to make a thread about falco game play. This will be a list of moves and combinations of moves that work well. Of course things that work well now may not work well as the game evolves or may not work against every character or person you play.

Nair- I have found this move very useful. This move strikes multiple times and knocks back on the last hit. I've used rising nair to do massive amounts of damage on falling characters as well as characters on a platform above me. I've also comboed this move into jab jab repeated spin. If this hits expect thirty percent or more on the opponent. Once the opponent di's away shine time. This will space your opponent away from you. After the shine throw a few lasers out there since the opponent will now be away from you.

Uair-much like the uair from melee. It kills fairly well and is easy to combo into. Up tilt to uair still works well, so does up smash to uair.

dair-i found the easiest way to get the meteor is to us a rising dair from either up tilt or up smash.

Falco has the highest initial jump in the game. While his nair, dair and fair have changed falco sitll has a mean air game. Falco has three good launchers dtilt utilt and up smash. Then the air game. Multiple bairs work great. Nair to bair works well too. Double up air.

More too come....

2-23

fair-i have yet to find a use for this move as nair is very similar and has like four times less lag if it ends on the ground.

bair-great move overall very similar to melee. great for keeping enemies off the stage.

forward smash-i'm liking the range on this and the knock back but the start up time is way too long for me. due to the start up time spamming this move is not pheasible.

up smash- tons more knock back then melee. up smash from dash works pretty good and then falco's arieal game can come in. like i said earlier great launcher for falco.

down smash-haven't used this move to much it doesn't seem to have the range it did in melee. it has good knock back however. because of auto sweet spot and the more focus on arieal game in brawl i don't see this move being on the front of anyone's arsonal.

more too come...

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
people trying to be useful and making guides for everything. oh well

uair bair combos at some percentages on some characters, can't tell you anything more than that at the moment since mine isn't turned on right now. but i've done it on training on surprisingly it actually does combo even wiht low hit stun

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Using Up B in the air as an offensive move.

It does around 30 damage if timed properly, and I'm wondering why no one uses this trick. I think it would be fairly effective as a damage builder, especially if you short hop out of your shield and up b next your opponent while tilting left or right.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Hm...it seems pretty punishable though. We'd be smart though to test out ALL of Falco's moves again, though. Without bias of how they worked in melee.

Starting with up-b? ;P

master_link12

Smash Cadet
man I also thought las day why there wasnt an advanced play thread for falco. Good work unfortunately I cant contribute since I dont have the game.:(

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i think the up-b is a good move now actually since it has multiple hits, it's pretty powerful now it seems. but its probably not easy to just hit people with.

Also, phantasm can be used pretty offensively now. There is really low lag if you land from it. So instead of just forward-B on the ground, do a very very very low jump, forward B and at the end the ground almost sucks you in and you can move again lol.

It also does the same for platforms i'm pretty sure. if you forward B on the ground from left to right (or vice versa) platforms on battlefield, you'll land with little lag on the other platform as if you jumped and did it.

Jesi

Smash Ace
Played falco a lot today for the first time.. Got the game recently.
What I noticed:

The shine's hitbox is kinda small comparatively to melee falco's shine. Harder to hit with of course, and doesn't stop your momentum when say, you're recovering from off stage. I'm used to dodge-shine when someone goes for a grab and misses me... can't do that anymore.

Down smash, however, is a nice alternative to the shine when ppl are close to you and say, miss a grab. Bout the same as in melee.

Up smash, as the thread starter said, is a lot better in brawl. Similar to fox's and can be used as a kill move.

F smash can also be a kill move, but needs to be used in moderation...has good range though!

Up tilt, *****. I loved it in Melee and was easily spamable for 2-3 times and more if the person doesn't DI correctly. In brawl, it's great for starting up combos, pop's ppl right in the air... and seems to have a little more range in front of the character - looks like more of an even arc over falco's head. It can kinda pull in a bit because of that..

F tilt, bout the same as in melee, less lag than a f smash however, which means it's also safer, if you think your f smash might not hit, has decent knock back.

Down tilt, is a good combo starter, because like in melee, it pops you straight up. Opponent needs to be kinda close however...

Bair is amazing, can even kill upwards if you're high enough in the air. Great for ledge guards as stated. Also, forward moving bairs are very very useful, little tricky to learn, but good.

Up air seems good, has I think three hits to it? Can kill, but I think back air's hitbox is bigger and has greater knock back. I used bair way more to kill than upair. I think Up air has more potential as a combo move.

I have yet to form an opinion on fairs and nairs, they seem to have decent priority especially in the air and okay spacing...need to look into a little more.

Wanted to make a note about falco's neutral A jab. Much like Pikachu in brawl, if you get someone in a corner, can be spammed until desired percent really... it's pretty brutal, and catches people pretty easily...

Oh! His over B, is amazing comparatively to in melee. Sooo much farther and faster, less lag when hitting the ground too.

His up b, although hit hits a little more seemingly, it's still not as good as fox's. And even fox when he falls out of his up b seems to move forward a little. Falco's is shorter and doesn't seem to have any momentum after the move is finished... hard to explain. But I'd probably choose over b for recovery, esp since the lag is far lessened.

Down throw works nice, can chain it for some chars.

Up throw is a lot like in melee, but because of the floatiness in this game it's even harder to combo off it, it SEEMS.

Didn't use back throw or forward throw a lot, because down throw, owns. lol But they seem relatively similar as in melee.

Lastly, I mostly played against darkrain's captain in brawl today. And the I got a few combos out. Down throw chain was pretty easy, unless he rolled out, but his roll wasn't 100%. Think there's a thread on it somewhere. Also, down throw tech chase to dash attack, then up tilt to bair/u air to whatever else works really nice. First three moves of the combo are pretty guaranteed it felt like.

I was a falco main (peach second) in melee, figuring out falco is really fun in brawl. I am still looking for a good combo to include shine in, as it looks way too cool to leave out. :) Peace!

Winnar

Smash Lord
I didnt know my thread wasnt useful, LOL. Pretty sure you're nib.
Hm...I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about in that respect. D:

And joke or not, I'm not going to be the one that discounts a move for no reason other than that it was crap in Melee.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Thanks for the useful info. I've been trying to incorporate fair into my edgeguard game below the stage but i'll attempt the nair instead.

Top Bottom