• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 8 (max) Custom Sets For Link

Swingshift

Smash Rookie
I'm not a tourney player, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I've never felt comfortable going deep offstage, so I naturaly gravitated towards Link, who lacked the recovery to even try going deep, and also had the projectile game to gimp people safely from the stage. Call it sub optimal, but I also gravitated towards getting all up in my opponent's face. I had a sword and shield, dammit! I was gonna stab some fools. Clearly, Link was meant to harrass enemies with all the projectiles, but I couldn't help getting aggro.

Finally, I have a Link who can be as aggressive as I've always wanted.

X33X is my favorite setup, and I alternate between regular and power bows, and giant and meteor bombs at whim. If pressed, I'd probably go 2333, but I like being able to toss out a giant bomb and say "this is my space; get out". I recognize its weakness in recovery, but I love being able to wreck faces with shocking spin. As I mentioned before, I don't go deep. I get in people's faces and hit them as hard as i can.

Ripping Rang to tipped dash attack, or rang to meteor bomb, or jab jab shocking spin just feel so good, and are certainly different from the spam happy Links most players are familiar with.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
I just used the normal Boomerang (finally unlocked it), and honestly I'm finding it worse than the Gale. Sure it does a whole 2% when returning to "break a combo", but who's going to be comboing Link where the normal Boomerang is returning anyway? I guess they can't ride it inwards? I'm noticing the normal Boomerang's knockback is more horizontal, whereas the Gale's knockback is more at 45 degrees. Is that the advantage? If anything the Gale Boomerang has a more N64 like knockback to it, blocks more projectiles on the way forward, and goes farther. @ Elessar Elessar since you seem the most passionate about it.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
You an combo the normal boomerang into dash attack at any percentage, which means that if you land one in close quarters at about 70% dmg you can combo into a tipped DA for a kill. The knockback seems to be fixed as well, or at least really low. The combo potential for the boomerang is extremely high because of the set knockback, which is always low and results in a wobble, and because even if you miss it's an incoming hotbox your opponent has to keep in mind. You can extend your combos like this, by throwing the boomerang behind your opponent and getting it to hit on its way back so you can get that last punisher in.

My guess if that you're just not used to it so you're struggling with using it, though I can't figure out why since you have a Gay icon as your brawl main, and he had a normal boomerang in brawl. Play around with it and you'll see that it's superior in every way to the gale. Conversely if that doesn't work, tell me then, why do you think that the gale is better?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Actually, just ftr, the non-gale custom boomerang doesn't have set knockback, and what I found extra surprising is the fact that the returning hitbox doesn't have set knockback either (this was surprising because Gay's returning boomerang does have set knockback).

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
For me the two biggest advantages of the melee rang over the gale are:

1) the melee rang actually deals damage at max range instead of giving a gentle nudge

2) the returning melee rang demands respect. Probably my biggest issue with the gale is that the wind box can be shielded at any time, even as its pulling an opponent. Nine times out of ten, if an opponent gets caught in the gale they'll get pulled for a few feet and then shield it. With the melee rang, when it hits you it deals damage and hitstun. You can't shield it after its already hit you. This leads to the returning melee rang actually being useful because it connects more and it gets in people's heads more.

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
You an combo the normal boomerang into dash attack at any percentage, which means that if you land one in close quarters at about 70% dmg you can combo into a tipped DA for a kill. The knockback seems to be fixed as well, or at least really low. The combo potential for the boomerang is extremely high because of the set knockback, which is always low and results in a wobble, and because even if you miss it's an incoming hotbox your opponent has to keep in mind. You can extend your combos like this, by throwing the boomerang behind your opponent and getting it to hit on its way back so you can get that last punisher in.

My guess if that you're just not used to it so you're struggling with using it, though I can't figure out why since you have a Gay icon as your brawl main, and he had a normal boomerang in brawl. Play around with it and you'll see that it's superior in every way to the gale. Conversely if that doesn't work, tell me then, why do you think that the gale is better?
After playing with it a bit more, I did encounter the fact that I could do a dash attack off of it fairly easily. Like Fox said though, I don't think it's a constant knockback, but like you said, it's probably more comboable than the normal rang (maybe I just didn't notice since I was messing around with computers). I do agree I find the gale's return pretty useless. Was Gay's Brawl 'rang really the same? Maybe that's why I didn't notice anything huge lol.

Ham371

Smash Rookie
I popped in here real quick to post that quickfire bow and ripping boomerang deserve a set. If you haven't tried either o these in match, I highly suggest it. The bow can act essentially as a short range laser wall. The bown becomes such a strong mid range tool uncharged. Oh and the boomerang leads to some interesting follow ups

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I popped in here real quick to post that quickfire bow and ripping boomerang deserve a set. If you haven't tried either o these in match, I highly suggest it. The bow can act essentially as a short range laser wall. The bown becomes such a strong mid range tool uncharged. Oh and the boomerang leads to some interesting follow ups
While the boomerang could be agreed, the bow can't be a wall since it has no hitstun nor knockback. It's like saying that Fox's laser can put up a wall.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
So I was messing around with Links custom sets and reading these post, so here's my thoughts. A lot of Link's customs seem just as good as his defaults, which is good as it gives him a lot of options. So here are my thoughts on what the sets should look like

Is that what the general consensus is? Am I missing some amazing set?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
surprised NOBODY mentioned 2211. for upB, not having a hitbox is really not an option in competitive play, so the only true option is shocking spin. Bombs is personal preference. Boomerang and Power Bow are obvious choices, with Boomerang being (almost straight up) better than Gale Boomerang which one ups your long range game, giving you room to run Power Bow.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Take note, this part here's a copied and pasted message! But please read it anyway:
As we begin to approach the deadline for creating 10 custom sets for each character, we believe it's time to make sure that your conversations are staying on track, and that we evaluate the progress of your discussions. As such, we have prepared a preliminary lineup of custom sets based on what your conversations have led to. Feel free to adjust and update this list as necessary. After all, we want each character to be brought to their best potential!

We are going to begin to create the finalized sets on March 17th, so make sure you conclude any discussion you're having by then.

Preliminary Custom Sets:
Link:

1/2, 2/3, 1, 1/3 niche: XX3X, 3XXX

1211, 1213, 1311, 1313, 2211, 2213, 2311, 2313
niche: 1231, 3211

This seems to me to mostly encapsulate the discussion and what you guys are looking for, but please do let me know if we need to do some re-arranging to cover anything that may have been missed. In particular, do Giant Bombs warrant sets over what we have at the moment?

SFA_Relic

Smash Rookie
NNID
SFA_Relic
As far as I know giant bombs are still pretty useless. Quickfire bow needs to be in at least one set though.
It is too strong in a few match ups to not be used. 3211 is great for the megaman and rosa luma match ups which considering their placement and popular flavor status is very necessary. Arrows go straight through most of Megamans's projectiles (and cancels them out) which severely limit his options. And QFB being one of the few projectiles that ignore the wall that is luma makes that match up almost seem fair.

Last edited:

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
While the boomerang could be agreed, the bow can't be a wall since it has no hitstun nor knockback. It's like saying that Fox's laser can put up a wall.
Elessar... The bow has a little stun... it can stop a run or a falcon kick...

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Elessar... The bow has a little stun... it can stop a run or a falcon kick...
It is different than the 3ds version then? I recall it having to hitstun when I tested it on the 3ds. I haven't checked it on the Wii U, but then having different properties is a possibility. After all, that's what happened with the power bow.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
It is different than the 3ds version then? I recall it having to hitstun when I tested it on the 3ds. I haven't checked it on the Wii U, but then having different properties is a possibility. After all, that's what happened with the power bow.
Idk about 3ds, but in wii U, it has a very tiny hitstun. I could say it is similar to a single metaknight jab.

Here is a video about that: https://youtu.be/fhanK-GQQMY?t=2m5s

Hey guys, i would like to talk about counter customs (at least against standard chars).

I likely think that there is some options to use against certain characters, and options that can not be used against another (as an example, Power Bow is not recommended to use against Fox, Falco and such, or Standard Bomb is more useful against Diddy, as its duration is larger when planted).

Something I think it could work is use 3211 or 3213 against rush in characters, as quickfire arrow is quick, it disturbs and it can cancel some nasty approaches of our opponents (falcon quick is totally negated). Against spam characters, 1211 seems to be the obvious choice, and against light chars or with bad recovery, could be a good idea to use 1213 or 1221 (i think shocking spin AND meteor bomb is too risky).

At least in my experience, i could not use Power Bow in an effective way. I use arrow to much in my spam game AND my mid range game, therefore Power Bow just simple take out an important part of my game for just a tiny possibility of kill.

My recommendations are:
1211 Against General or spammy chars
3211 Against rush in chars (Diddy, C. Falcon, Fox, ...)
1213 Against bad recovery chars
1221 Against light chars
3213 For our flashy and rush in gameplay (i know there are times when we need it!)

Crazy adds:
3313 More Flashy pls!
3323 Way too offensive man!

Last edited by a moderator:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Any thoughts on the ripping boomerang? I realize it takes out of a lot of the range, but it seems like it could be a good harassment tool in the short range?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Any thoughts on the ripping boomerang? I realize it takes out of a lot of the range, but it seems like it could be a good harassment tool in the short range?
Imo, it should mainly be used in teams because of how well it locks people down. It has quite a lot of potential there. But in a 1v1, ripping boomerang is easily punishable, and with its heavy end and startup lag, conversions are scarce and hard to land.

Last edited:

link-a-link

Smash Cadet
NNID
Linkaden
I agree with 1211 as the all-around best link set, personally I would add shocking spin (1221) since I use it out of shield a lot and can KO at relatively low percentage.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
1213 is probably Link's best set, especially with the removal of Jab 1 canceling. Meteor bombs make up for that a lot.

Last edited:

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I likely think that there is some options to use against certain characters, and options that can not be used against another (as an example, Power Bow is not recommended to use against Fox, Falco and such, or Standard Bomb is more useful against Diddy, as its duration is larger when planted).

Something I think it could work is use 3211 or 3213 against rush in characters, as quickfire arrow is quick, it disturbs and it can cancel some nasty approaches of our opponents (falcon quick is totally negated). Against spam characters, 1211 seems to be the obvious choice, and against light chars or with bad recovery, could be a good idea to use 1213 or 1221 (i think shocking spin AND meteor bomb is too risky).

At least in my experience, i could not use Power Bow in an effective way. I use arrow to much in my spam game AND my mid range game, therefore Power Bow just simple take out an important part of my game for just a tiny possibility of kill.

My recommendations are:
1211 Against General or spammy chars
3211 Against rush in chars (Diddy, C. Falcon, Fox, ...)
1213 Against bad recovery chars
1221 Against light chars
3213 For our flashy and rush in gameplay (i know there are times when we need it!)

Crazy adds:
3313 More Flashy pls!
3323 Way too offensive man!
I agree with all of this as far as it goes, but I'd also point out that "rush in characters", "bad recovery chars", and "light chars" are not distinct categories. C.Falcon is both rush-in and bad recovery, for instance. So:

1211 -- basic build, modified by:
3xxx -- vs. rushdown
xxx3 -- vs. bad recovery, predictable recovery, horizontal recovery (since bomb toss can go horizontally easily)
xx2x -- vs. light chars????
3xxx -- for counterzoning (because arrow destroys/nullifies other projectiles, so spam it)

Having said this, I feel the same about Shocking Spin as the Power Bow: its drawbacks (archery joke!) aren't worth the merits. Normal grounded spin hits light characters hard enough to kill as-is, and if the light character has a wall of pain or other carry that gets Link offstage, I'd prefer pretty much any other upB to SS. And none of the spins are at all spammable, just like Power Bow.

Does anyone has setups or uses for Power Bow other than hope the other player stands still and not dodge for 2 full seconds? Or even for SS for that matter.

I might add:
xx3x -- vs. characters who get Link offstage for a gimp, but lack moves that KO outright. (Sheik, Pika w/o Heavy Skull Bash)

I'd love to find a use or matchup for Ripping Boomerang. It's fun. Forward SH RB into grab?

ZeekLTK

Smash Cadet
Does anyone has setups or uses for Power Bow other than hope the other player stands still and not dodge for 2 full seconds? Or even for SS for that matter.
I find power bow useful when you are able to knock someone off the platform and it is going to take them a few seconds to recover. Rather than try to go for a risky KO in the air, or try to hit them with meteor bombs (difficult IMO), you can just back up, draw the bow, and wait for them to land. The bow can be held indefinitely, so you can just sit there and wait (as opposed to most other weapons, like Pit or Bowser Jr. which auto-fires after it charges up). Eventually they have to land on the stage, and the split-second they do, you fire the shot and KO them. The power bow takes a while to charge, but it actually travels pretty fast once you shoot it.

Or you can hide behind the other projectiles. I like to throw out a bomb, then the boomarang, and then draw the bow. By the time the boomarang makes it back to you, the bow is already charged.

If you use the gale boomarang and manage to push them away with it (rather than pull them in), that would give you more than enough time to charge the shot.

It's also ideal for teams because along with the bomb and boomarang to give you time to draw, your teammate(s) should also be able to help give you some time to charge it. Just make sure you don't hit them if friendly fire is on! lol

Last edited:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
It's also ideal for teams because along with the bomb and boomarang to give you time to draw, your teammate(s) should also be able to help give you some time to charge it. Just make sure you don't hit them if friendly fire is on! lol
Sorry, but no. The fact that you're putting your own teammate at risk isn't acceptable in a team match. Leaving them to take on two other players by themselves while you charge an arrow that may or may not hit the opponents is a waste of time. Obviously another player on the opposing team is going to break off and attack you while you're standing there. Then what? You're going to be punished by high level players. Also, your team mate has to worry about when you'll loose that arrow. That shouldn't be something he needs to contend with.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Sorry, but no. The fact that you're putting your own teammate at risk isn't acceptable in a team match. Leaving them to take on two other players by themselves while you charge an arrow that may or may not hit the opponents is a waste of time. Obviously another player on the opposing team is going to break off and attack you while you're standing there. Then what? You're going to be punished by high level players. Also, your team mate has to worry about when you'll loose that arrow. That shouldn't be something he needs to contend with.
The only way power bows can have any practical use in teams is when a partner has grabbed the opponent in a 2v1 situation. Even then, there's loads of other ways to end a match.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Patch 1.11 dropped. Shocking Spin received a damage buff and a new hitbox. I'm unclear on whether it's on the air or ground variant, or both.

I still think the move is useless. Link has no problems with damage or kills, so gimping his recovery for another damage/kill option doesn't buy him anything.

Unrelated news, I used Giant Bombs in some Sheik matches since she can't just catch and throw them back at me and blow me up; GBs only detonate on timer. And have a big blast radius, sometimes big enough to catch the person comboing Link off of their downthrow. In a few matches it led to a reversal where Link wanted to be close to Sheik but she did not. (Rage messes up her combos but its generally a good think for Link.) This is anecdotal of course but I thought I'd throw that in.

Any custom moves seem particularly effective against newcomers Lucas, Roy, Ryu, Mewtwo beyond what we already know?

Edit:
From the Custom Sets main thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/offi...t-summer-2015-edition-evo-sets.395721/page-30

Yeah, our local Link player (who isn't very loyal to Link, but that's neither here nor there) really prefers the 3211 set, and it does seem best overall to me. Realistically most Links are going to want 3211 or 3213 depending on how comfortable they are with Meteor Bombs or perhaps the MU (default vs meteors on down-B seems like a roughly even trade-off to me). Either way though, that leaves 8 more possible sets for Link, and I was mostly trying to suggest that Shocking Spin Attack probably has enough merit to warrant consideration for those. I'll bite and suggest that true comboing into either spin is not very realistic; the 3f difference is handy for more pseudo-combos for default, but Link doesn't seem likely to convert a small hit into a kill by comboing into up-B in general. Shocking Spin Attack uncharged does 16%, and kills Sheik in training mode from the center of an omega at 97% while default does 14% and kills Sheik at 113% from the center of an omega. The extra 2% damage doesn't really matter, but killing 16% earlier does (an effect I suspect will be multiplied with the 1.05x freshness multiplier and being closer to the edge). On hard reads, Shocking Spin with a substantial charge is going to kill silly early.

I suppose the conclusion I'm going for is that Link does need revision since 3211 and 3213 are his clear best sets, facts I imagine we agree on. I just see Shocking Spin Attack as his most appealing option outside of those two (default Bow is trash, Power Bow is mostly a teams move, Gale Boomerang is "okay" but mostly just worse, the third Boomerang is really unappealing, Whirling Leap is giving up way too much for a recovery that honestly isn't meaningfully better, and giant bombs seem bad all around to me).
Yes to 3211 and 3213. I still prefer default Bow against slower characters, so I definitely would want to keep 1211 and 1213. I don't think these four sets are at all controversial.

I have a use for Whirling Leap. There are chars whose gameplan is to carry Link off stage and/or gimp him, cause it's easier than trying to kill him outright. Usually it's the lightest characters in the game: Jiggs, Kirby, Metaknight, Pit & DPit, Mewtwo, Villager, G&W, and (odd man out but fantastic aerial speed) Wario. Link isn't too gimpable with tether recovery, but these chars will meet Link way out beyond tether recovery range. For these I like 3231. Meter bombs do next to nothing to these guys; I've hit Kirby with two MBs in a row and he still made it back. So I would never pair MBs with Whirling Leap. Whirling Leap can get Link back to the stage before the puffball trio can. But this is the only set I'd run with Whirling Leap.

Beyond that I dunno. Shocking Spin and Power Bow have their devotees but I don't know what set they like to run with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom