• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Guide

Anton Koetzler-Faust

Banned via Warnings
Anyone want to teach me how to play Toon Link. I've been playing PM for like 3 weeks and I think toon link will be my main, so if you got any tips tell me!

The Soap

Smash Apprentice
If you don't even have the motivation to look through this forum then you most likely don't have the motivation to get better.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Guys, you don't have to be so mean! The information on Toon Link is pretty scattered, and I think a straight up Gameplay and Strategy Discussion thread should be made and stickied. Maybe I'll make it IDK.

So to be good with Toon Link, like with any other character, your fundementals should be second nature. Make yourself SHFFL or wavedash or JC grab 30 times in a row in training mode. Toon Link does have a pretty big sword, but what's the point if you don't space your attacks? Spacing is attacking with the very tip of your attacks to make them safer and more effective at stopping faster characters from rushing you down. The only attack you want to hit as close as you can is dair so you can perform Toon Link's fire spike. Watch Even Matchup Gaming's videos to learn all the advanced techniques you need to know.

Another fundemental of smash is mindgames, covering options, and reading. Mindgames is making your opponent unsure of what you are going to do or tricking him by making him think he knows what you are going to do. Reading is predicting what your opponent will do based on history. Covering options is pretty self explanatory. I like to think of it as a paper-scissors-rock cycle: Mindgames beats Reading, Reading beats well...scrubs?, and Covering options beats Mindgames. Yeah just ignore the whole paper-scissor-rock thing lol. You can mindgame many ways. First one is movement. Dash dancing in and out of an opponent's range is an effective bait on players. Now here's where I have to clarify range and covering options. Let's say a smart Sheik and a aggressive scrubby Fox are playin. Fox shoots some lasers and then starts dash dancing like a crack addict. Sheik can tell he's looking for that approach. That up smash or nair or dash attack, whatever. Now, in this matchup you'd think Sheik has more range because of her long skinny legs, right?

Fox has much better mobility and a much better SHFFL, so technically, more range. So Sheik starts dash dancing to weave in and out of Fox's nair range. Fox thinks he's smart so he dash attacks into Sheik's dash dance, but Sheik just wavedashes back, grab, down throw, a really long combo, and there goes Fox's stock. So don't think of it as predicting, but more in case he does this. In fact, without all the dash dancing, run up wavedash back covers a lot of options. If he tries to approach, wavedash back grab. If he's shielding because he expects an attack, when you wavedash back, he thinks you won't do anything so you just run up grab. If rolls back, just follow his roll and grab. If he wavedashes back too, then the situation is reset. You effectively covered all his options.

Now more on mixups and reading. Mixups is when you do X in situation Y until your opponent counters it and you do something different in situation that counters what they were already conditioned to do. Another way to put Reading is learning their habits and punishing accordingly. For example, a Falco forward throws a Fox and he rolls back everytime, so Falco follows him and shines him. Another thing is that your punishes should be as safe but as strong as possible. Falco is not gonna go for an forward smash! His shine can still lead to a 50% combo so why bother risking it, ya know?

As for Toon Link specific stuff, well he has no shortage of bomb techs that's for sure, but the most important one is aerial glide tossing ( AGT )/ bomb jumping. To perform it press:
:GCN::GCLT::GCCN:
It pushes you in the direction you airdodge while you throw a bomb in whatever direction you want which is why the C and control stick aren't pointing at any direction. It's useful for many things. Bomb jumping is pushing both sticks upwards and up b-ing immediately into your bomb so you can up b again or even DI the bomb. Extremely useful for recovery along with wall jumps which you should do too. Other bomb techs are glide tossing, bomb shielding, etc. I'm too tired to list them all lol.

Learn how to set up his aerial up b, space down tilt to spike em, use boomerang to cover options, up b out of shield is very good, and watch Lunchables's Toon Link lol. Just look in the forums already!

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Oh, and a pretty useful technique is spin dropping. You cancel your jump with up b so it's like performing an aerial up b without any upwards momentum. Could be used similar to Bowser's fortress hogging and stuff. Also another technique is performing really quick arrows from a short hop. Shoot the arrow right before you land, and you'll have minimal lag. Pretty good for combos.

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
Oh, and a pretty useful technique is spin dropping. You cancel your jump with up b so it's like performing an aerial up b without any upwards momentum. Could be used similar to Bowser's fortress hogging and stuff. Also another technique is performing really quick arrows from a short hop. Shoot the arrow right before you land, and you'll have minimal lag. Pretty good for combos.
This should be a legit guide js

B.W.

Smash Champion
Everything he typed can be found on this forum without much effort. Just saying.

Top Bottom