• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link - Best Tactics and Specials.

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
Wondering what the pro's think in terms of how to get the most out of Toon Link in terms of best custom specials to equipt? and how to effectively chip at opponent's health and then finish them off?

Theodrassil

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't really call myself "pro", but i'll add my 2 cents anyway.

Toon Link's custom moves are mostly inferior to his default moveset, there's a few interesting things you can do with some of them such as some insane recovery utilizing the short fuse bombs and some stage control with fire arrows, although the default moveset is generally considered to be more effective overall.

In general the most effective way to deal damage as Toon Link is to abuse his ranged options, spamming boomerangs, bombs, and arrows, and making good use of zairs, aerials, chain up tilts at low %s, neutral 3 hit combos, grabs etc.. when forced to get up close.

With Toon Link, you'll usually need to get opponents to a bit higher % before you start thinking about killing as he doesnt have the greatest KO power, although when you are ready to go for the kill, his fair, bair, smashes and back throw are all effective ways to land a kill.

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
Cheers dude, lots of useful information there!

Possibly a stupid question but what is Zair?

Last edited:

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
Yeah ive been playing TLink like any player i would play: trying to be aggressive, just instinctively spamming different moves.

Ill be trying to change my tactics a bit and focus on getting percentages up before going for smashes and risky kill moves (unless a punish is available)

We'll see how that goes

D

Deleted member

If you want to approach, I've seen a lot of TLs toss a boomerang and/or bomb at the opponent, then grab the opponent if they shield. I keep forgetting to try it out myself, but it seems to work for other people.

Top Bottom