• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Balance Discussion Thread!

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
Hello my fellow Tink Players! So, I recently decided to make a thread discussing Toon link balance, buffs, nerfs, etc. This is for the most part, due to this thread popping up. I was hoping here that we could consolidate our issues with Toon Link and come to an agreement to what should be changed. There has never been a huge following on Toon Link so, unfortunately, his representation isn't very extensive. I hope this thread can shine some light on him and get him noticed. Hell, its my hope that Toon Links start posting in that Community Patch project thread with some great ideas for changes (with good reasons, of course).

Try to stay constructive and make sure you don't pull info out of your arse.
Also, make your points very clear.

I'll start the thread off with some of my ideas for now.

Pogo dair needs to return. I'm baffled by the removal of it. Our current Dair leaves you completely vulnerable, the only time it sees any use, is due to a missed input. It makes less sense that Link keeps his even though he is the heavier character. You'd think Link would have gotten this change and not Tink.

Aerials need some work. I'm not sure if its just that the hitboxes are too small or his landing lag is to much. Nair is actually alright, not good for approaching or spacing for that matter, but its still good for strings. Getting forward airs and back airs tend to miss and they lag tremendously. You would think Toon Link and Link for that matter, would be the jack of all trades. Though when it comes to approaching, Toon Link gets his *** wrecked like Johnny Bravo. I would understand the landing lag on his aerials if you didn't need the precision of a surgeon to actually hit someone.

Last edited:

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
This thread is going to be biased and generous with the buffs but I don't care. TL is far from the best character, and with no techs god knows he needs a helping hand.

Definitely need dair pogo back. It's way too unsafe even when you hit which is ridiculous.

I find the range on nair is abysmal. Zair > nair is very prone to whiffing. A slight hitbox increase would be nice.

I'd love bair to be reverted to its Brawl version, but that would be broke with airdodge landing lag. I'd be okay with less landing lag, maybe shorter duration.

A simple invinci-bomb would be helpful.

Not sure why but when I buffer a zair after an aerial it'll usually result in an airdodge. Get rid of that.

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
This thread is going to be biased and generous with the buffs but I don't care. TL is far from the best character, and with no techs god knows he needs a helping hand.

Definitely need dair pogo back. It's way too unsafe even when you hit which is ridiculous.

I find the range on nair is abysmal. Zair > nair is very prone to whiffing. A slight hitbox increase would be nice.

I'd love bair to be reverted to its Brawl version, but that would be broke with airdodge landing lag. I'd be okay with less landing lag, maybe shorter duration.

A simple invinci-bomb would be helpful.

Not sure why but when I buffer a zair after an aerial it'll usually result in an airdodge. Get rid of that.
Yea, bias is inevitable when you main the character in particular. Though, I'm trying to look at things from the outside in, before I bother posting things.

I was under the impression that all of his aerials (except uair/dair of course) tend to whiff sadly. The hitboxes just aren't long enough, ( I think, since I know nil about hitboxes and stuff) but they just don't connect like they should.

Yea, I don't know why that airdodge comes out after an aerial. I think this is just a problem with every character though. I don't know why they added that I mean, obviously I pressed grab so I want to grab. I think they added this, due to not every character having a zair, so that it does something in midair. I don't think they thought it completely through.

LinkLuigi

Smash Rookie
NNID
LinkLuigi
We also need to get bair strings back because I don't know any combos/strings better than that.

stripheR

Smash Cadet
my air game was SO much better in brawl, at least I feel like it is. so much harder to have a good airgame with smash 4 toon link....

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
I don't need any other buffs other than the pogo and double back air. I would be perfectly happy to see them make a return.
From my understanding, ( feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) Toon Links bair had far less landing lag and you could follow up with inputs out of it much faster. Since the knockback from it was increased, it also lacks the ability to combo or string into anything else like before. I'd like to hear some detail on how bair worked in brawl and more on his other stuff as well.

I've found most of what I know now from the wiki. So if anybody would like to elaborate on some of these things, that would be awesome, or if they could point to a source of some good info/data on toon links brawl days, that would also be awesome.

D

Deleted member

I think TL mainly needs his old recovery, reduced landing lag, the old pogo dair, and his old arrow tricks back. It's a bit dumb how his spin attack is worse than Link's, and his aerials being the way they are makes it often way too risky and unrewarding to approach. Also, it's hard to find a use for his arrows now. I always find myself forgetting they exist, and end up using the boomerang or bombs instead because I can control the direction they go in.

From my understanding, ( feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) Toon Links bair had far less landing lag and you could follow up with inputs out of it much faster. Since the knockback from it was increased, it also lacks the ability to combo or string into anything else like before. I'd like to hear some detail on how bair worked in brawl and more on his other stuff as well.
With the increased hitstun, TL's bair should be able to combo just fine with less landing lag. I played around with the equipment that decreases landing lag a little bit when the game came out, and bair combos worked very well with it. Bair combos can also work well high in the air where landing lag isn't an issue. So yeah, bair would be just fine with less landing lag.
:170:

Top Bottom