• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too easily left helpless?

Krauserlols

Smash Cadet
Hey there i here is something that has bothered me for a while now. I have been playing Brawl ever since it came out and all the older ones as well (Still got my old Melee disk) and something that i always remember are the stressfull but amazing moments when i toss my enemy to a side and wait to see if they can jump back or i can start taunting until my pad keys break.

Now i played Project M an entire day with my Smash commrades and something that keep nagging us was the fact that our characters kept being left helpless in the air leaving us to die as we furiously mash our jump keys. I dont know if this is a thing in the old smash but as i remember in Melee and Brawl and even in the WiiU no matter how hard we are hit we can still attempt to go back my combining jumping and special moves, that is when we dont get our face caved in by a Falcon Punch or using the Wario bike as warioman and not jump off it. Yes there is a chance you are left helpless but its not that often.

However in Project M it seems like we are left helpless 99% of the time, leaving our controlers on the ground as our character falls to its death with nothing we can do. Is there a way to manipulate that? cause we do enjoy the changes to the characters (specially Squirtle and Samus) and the increased speed overall but this helpless thing is killing us. It doesnt even make sence, as far as i know part of the fun in tournaments is watching those pros fighting on ground or air then one is tossed out of the map and you see what clever ways the defender blocks the guy or the other tricks him and meteors him and lives to fight another day, those amazing moments where you dont know if you can make it out in time and have to do split desicions on how to avoid your foe and survive or even kill them instead.

Is there a way to modify this, in game or in code? i want to continue playing Project M but this Helpless thing is stopping us from enjoying it.

Narpas_sword

I'm really not understanding your problem. Can you take a recording?

No move puts your opponent into special fall, so they can't attack you and remove your ability to recover.

Are you guys air dodging? You only get to do that once in PM.

Krauserlols

Smash Cadet
I'm really not understanding your problem. Can you take a recording?

No move puts your opponent into special fall, so they can't attack you and remove your ability to recover.

Are you guys air dodging? You only get to do that once in PM.
Ok i probably didnt explain it properly. You know that when your tossed out of the stage you can still jump and then use a special attack to recover? well what i mean is that most of the time we get tossed out of the stage we cant jump leaving us unable to recover even with a recovery move like Screw Attack or Waterfall. As i know its called a "Helpless state"

Krauserlols

Smash Cadet
well, that doesnt happen. unless you're airdodging offstage.

looks at some PM videos, you can always attempt recovery when hit offstage.
hmmmm so what you say is that if you airdodge you are lleft helpless? thats kinda sad but i will give it a shot

Y-L

Smash Champion
hmmmm so what you say is that if you airdodge you are lleft helpless? thats kinda sad but i will give it a shot
Yes, if you air dodge you are left helpless until you hit the ground. The air dodge mechanics from melee were adopted, where you can directionally air dodge, and air dodging leaves you helpless. It forces you to be smart with when you choose to air dodge, also reimplements the wavedashing mechanic from melee.

Krauserlols

Smash Cadet
Yes, if you air dodge you are left helpless until you hit the ground. The air dodge mechanics from melee were adopted, where you can directionally air dodge, and air dodging leaves you helpless. It forces you to be smart with when you choose to air dodge, also reimplements the wavedashing mechanic from melee.
huh maybe thats why. Say what if you guys make it so you can change that like it was in brawl in the options? just for those who like multiple airdoges, just a though.

Thanks for the responces btw

Top Bottom