• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To the people who have been reported: How do you know?

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
I see a lot of threads that are all like, "THIS GAME SUCKS, WHY AM I BANNED?" how do you even know? I don't know if I have ever been banned or not so I wouldn't know.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
No one knows for sure, but I explained it to you in my post, I think.

We're deducing.
Recently a lot of players have been dealing with an issue where it's hard to find other players and when we do, they're the same ones. You can leave, come back, leave, and come back and can run into the same person multiple times. I encountered someone again 14 hours after I had played them the night before.

I called Nintendo and they said I was banned. I could only play with people who have also been reported.

The first red flag that it's due to reports is that explicitly forbidden rules found on Nintendo's website (quitting a match, targetting a single player), when broken, will alert the player.
If you quit from a match, the game will tell you. If you target a single player, the game will tell you.
We believe that because the game doesn't alert us when we are banned, the only logical explanation is that we're being reported by other players. Two out of four Nintendo reps confirmed this when I called them. The third didn't believe me. I spoke with a supervisor who also thought that didn't sound right. Further evidence that something is not right.

The second reason we believe we're being reported is that after leaving the ban land, players have claimed that they tend to end up back in the ban land soon after.
Many claim that they tried not to break any rules and yet still made it back in.

This leads people to believe that it isn't the game banning people, but human action. And the only thing a human can do to ban someone else, is to report them first.
Nintendo claims that fraudulant reporting can get you banned, but considering that the game doesn't ask you what the other player is doing wrong and the game doesn't tell the reported player what they did wrong, we believe no one checks who is reported and rarther, once you've been reported a set number of times, you get banned.

It could easily be a glitch. It could be an incomplete update that is having problems. Smash online is due for maintenance this August 31s, so perhaps we'll see this problem fixed.

But overall, no one knows for certain they're being reported.
It's currently the only explanation that makes sense and one that SOME Nintendo reps have claimed to be true. The woman I spoke to said "if you are reported, you play with other reported players until your ban is over".

Last edited:
Top Bottom