• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips on Pikachu

Hachibimaru

Smash Rookie
Hi, first off I'd like to say I'm still a bit of a n00b at the whole smashing game but I'm working at getting good. Been practicing my short hops, dodge rolls and all that jazz and soon I hope to have it down packed.

Now, when playing a bit of smash and checking out characters to see who'd I think of maining, and I tried out Pikachu, and when I saw that he played so much more like his N64 self I was overjoyed seeing as, well, I guess you could call him my "main" in the N64 games so I'm looking forward to getting good with him.

So, do you guys have any tips on not only helping a n00b of a smasher get good, but help a n00b of a smasher get good with Pikachu? Any and all help would be appreciated, thanks!

Darth Ace

Smash Rookie
Perhaps combination specials. Like linking "Quick Attack" with "Thunder" to either escape quick before you get comboed or to get yourself in a position to use the tech more effectivly. And feel free to use skull bash, you can still recover after using it, plus it's great for extra horizontal recovery. (If someone's edgeguarding, you might be able to send 'em flying on the way in.)
Oh, and preactice Volt Tackle alot.
That's really all I got. Check out Smashbros under Pikachu. Sakurai-sensei knows everything about everyone's favorite electric rodent.

think13

Smash Cadet
Here's a few tips:

B moves:
Neutral B can cause them to charge you, if you are playing someone w/o range.
Down B is a great kill move. If a character is near the top of the stage, this will nearly always kill. You can also use it on the edge if your opponent is recovering from above the stage.
Side B has good horizontal recovery.

Smashes:
Fsmash has nice range, and is good for spacing. It can be used to kill
If you are dashing, you can use the c-stick to upsmash. This isn't a kill move, but is good for setting up combos.
Down smash is really powerful, and racks up damage.

Aerials:
Fair is his best (imo). Good damage, basically no lag on landing.
Dair can be used if your opponent is not shielding.
I've also had some success with a running short hop nair. It has pretty good knockback and can be used to set up combos.

Vaseline

Smash Cadet
Here's a few tips:

B moves:
Neutral B can cause them to charge you, if you are playing someone w/o range.
Down B is a great kill move. If a character is near the top of the stage, this will nearly always kill. Practice aiming the thunder so that way you can hit them even if they are off-screen. If you played Pikachu in the previous games this should be second nature. You can also use it on the edge if your opponent is recovering from above the stage.
Side B has good horizontal recovery. If close enough to the stage aim for the ledge since you will grab if anywhere near and possibly hit the edgehogger if he doesn't expect it

Smashes:
Fsmash has nice range, and is good for spacing. It can be used to kill
If you are dashing, you can use the c-stick to upsmash. This isn't a kill move, but is good for setting up combos.
Down smash is really powerful, and racks up damage.

Aerials:
Fair is his best (imo). Good damage, basically no lag on landing. Agree on this :).Great for rack up damage
Dair can be used if your opponent is not shielding.
I've also had some success with a running short hop nair. It has pretty good knockback and can be used to set up combos.I like to do that also. But my favorite is when its short hopped out of shield. It is one of my top killing moves.

Grabs:
Pikachu is now blessed with the ability to chain grab a lot more characters compared to just the fastfallers in Melee.
His forward throw is the same as Melee's and by watching Anther videos can chaingrab DDD.
His back throw is the same as can be used to throw opponents off the stage to set up a thunder guard (my term for using his buffed thunder for edge guarding:))
His down throw is the best one of them all (imo). It is the one that can chaingrab many characters. From my Brawl experience (which is not much:laugh:) spacies, DDD, DK, Diddy, and Wario make the list.

Let me just add on to yours. To anyone else feel free add on or discuss.

Top Bottom