• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips on applying frame data?

Jacuzzi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jaccuzi
3DS FC
0748-3832-8660
I've been thinking about studying frame data, and how to apply it and what not, but I don't know how I'd do that exactly. Like, would I start trying to apply the best possible move/action to each scenario, based on the frame data? Or do I just have to be M2K? (lol). But, yeah, any help is appreciated!

(Also, I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I figured it would be here because it seemed like the most logical.)

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I mostly use it to know what moves are however safe on shield and to know what followups you have guaranteed out of aerial flame choke on the cast.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Frame data is useful mostly to compare options and pick the best ones. No one consciously goes "Alright, I'm going to knee here because it's +0 on shield" or "I'm going to use Sheik's fair because it hits frame 5 and autocancels on frame 11." The data has been used by experts to determine the best options in a scenario, and teach us what to look for when trying to push the metagame of new characters. When all else is equal (which is approximately never true) we can turn to frame data to pick between two similar options that are different in terms of frames.

To put it more concisely, in most cases frame data supports what we figure out in the field, and only after an established baseline is determined do we use it to figure out new ideas to try out in the field. If you're new to the game, you're likely not executing precisely enough in the first place to where frame data is particularly relevant. For example, a move that's -2 on shield is only -2 on shield when perfectly timed, and will probably be much worse for you in practice.

Jacuzzi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jaccuzi
3DS FC
0748-3832-8660
Frame data is useful mostly to compare options and pick the best ones. No one consciously goes "Alright, I'm going to knee here because it's +0 on shield" or "I'm going to use Sheik's fair because it hits frame 5 and autocancels on frame 11." The data has been used by experts to determine the best options in a scenario, and teach us what to look for when trying to push the metagame of new characters. When all else is equal (which is approximately never true) we can turn to frame data to pick between two similar options that are different in terms of frames.

To put it more concisely, in most cases frame data supports what we figure out in the field, and only after an established baseline is determined do we use it to figure out new ideas to try out in the field. If you're new to the game, you're likely not executing precisely enough in the first place to where frame data is particularly relevant. For example, a move that's -2 on shield is only -2 on shield when perfectly timed, and will probably be much worse for you in practice.
Yeahh, I know that no one does that consciously, and that it's just used to study the best options. That's basically what I'm tryin to do, :p not try and be frame perfect in every scenario haha. And I'm not all that new to the game, I'm just trying to learn new stuff. Lol. But, thanks for your insight!

JOE!

Smash Hero
I look at frame data to compare similar moves for duration and iasa. For example, your ftilt and dtilt have similar range and speed at a glance. However, through frame data you see that while ftilt may hit harder, dtilt is active for twice as many frames and thus possibly more reliable to send out to "catch" somebody.

Top Bottom