• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for Toon Link?

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
I've used him in the past, and thought about making him my secondary (or maybe even my main, but I'm not sure about that). But I would need some tips first, please. I also love speedy play styles for characters, so does that mean TL is good for me? My current main is Fox and my secondary is Pikachu.

I also have a few questions:

1. How exactly should I approach, I usually jump a my opponent and use a projectile such as the boomerang.
2. What are some combos for Toon Link?
3. Is his speed good for close-combat and running away from opponents?
4. Is his dash dance good?
5. How often/when should I grab?
6. Finally, is using bombs for recovery reliable? It doesn't seem so because it takes too much time to prepare.

Other tips would be nice, thanks! :)

Tehtigerfist

Smash Rookie
I've used him in the past, and thought about making him my secondary (or maybe even my main, but I'm not sure about that). But I would need some tips first, please. I also love speedy play styles for characters, so does that mean TL is good for me? My current main is Fox and my secondary is Pikachu.

I also have a few questions:

1. How exactly should I approach, I usually jump a my opponent and use a projectile such as the boomerang.
2. What are some combos for Toon Link?
3. Is his speed good for close-combat and running away from opponents?
4. Is his dash dance good?
5. How often/when should I grab?
6. Finally, is using bombs for recovery reliable? It doesn't seem so because it takes too much time to prepare.

Other tips would be nice, thanks! :)
I had these same problems when i first started maining TL so far what i've learn is that
1. his boomerang is a really good tool for manipulating where your opponent goes and is also a really good combo set up
2.my favorite and imo the most trolliest combo is when you have time toss out a super close range boomerang and forward smash, another one is up smash into air up-b. his up-b is basically regular links ground up b, so it has a lot of knock back. TL ground up b is basically a blender and comes out in like 3 frames.
3. well he isnt like young link, you dont really play him campy (or at least thats how i do it) his moves are really strong and easy to land if you have good set up/punish game.
4.Yes, his forward smash is really strong and so is his dash attack so use it.
5. shield grabbing with him is really good, and its also deceptively long, so you can trick people up with it, but if you dont land it, you can be punished super easily. (side note with his grab, when you off the edge and dont want to be edge hogged, what you do is air dodge and grab immediately and you will grab the ledge, like samus/ivysaur's up-b
6.if you practice bomb jumping enough it is a very good recovery, when you cant make it back with air dodge tether or up-b. other than that dont use it.
any more questions, i love this character and id love to talk about him

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
Ok thanks! This helped a lot!! I would love to discuss TL! :)

EDIT: quick question, sorry. When you say he has a good DD do you also mean baiting out and punishing, as well as an offensive DD? To me most fast characters ave good DD, namely Fox and Falcon, and maybe TL.

Tehtigerfist

Smash Rookie
Ok thanks! This helped a lot!! I would love to discuss TL! :)

EDIT: quick question, sorry. When you say he has a good DD do you also mean baiting out and punishing, as well as an offensive DD? To me most fast characters ave good DD, namely Fox and Falcon, and maybe TL.
I'm sorry i feel kinda dumb, whats DD again?

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
Np, it's Dash Dance, when you dash left and right repeatedly to play mind games with your opponent.

Top Bottom