• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for playing against Ike?

Scrafted

Smash Rookie
I'm fairly new to the smash scene and this might just be inexperience, but I've been having a lot of trouble playing against my friend's Ike as Dedede. He always seems to be able to deny my recovery by just dashing and charging a smash attack. I also have some trouble getting out of Ike's combos whenever they start.

Could you guys offer a newbie some pointers for the Dedede v. Ike matchup?

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
side b to keep them out of quick draw, also ike is an easy target off stage for dedede so thats what i go for if i play him.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
side b to keep them out of quick draw, also ike is an easy target off stage for dedede so thats what i go for if i play him.
Ike doesn't have the best recovery options available to him. The only way he can get back is through his side b and up b. Depending on his situation, usually he only has one option. The best way to edge guard him is to find out what he does. Usually on a side b (taking out the fact it's a stage with a pillar in the middle) he will not attack out of it if he's trying to get back to the stage. This is your chance to knock him off and make it possible. Because the hitboxes on D3 are pretty big, dair, bair, and fair are all pretty reliable options.

If Ike is using an up b and his only chance is to reach the ledge, you can of course try and edgehog, but another approach may consist of you doing a dair. His hammer seems long enough to get through the initial sword part of it.

You'll learn that D3 is pretty good with making it hard to get back to the stage. Fly destroyed me by doing that constantly. Watching some of his and other good D3 people may help you on this technique.

RecklessGreen

Smash Rookie
Here's one I can give you. Don't spam that Side B a lot. He's gonna throws those back at you hard if he uses his side-B.

Top Bottom