• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for Olimar vs. Olimar?

kungfurabbits

Smash Apprentice
So I'm trying to main with Olimar. I'm doing pretty good online against everyone I've faced.
I am 16-0 vs non Olimar opponents whereas I faced another Olimar for the first time which felt weird and I lost all the matches to this guy (he was very good with him though) and they all were close matches).

So are there any tips that anyone can provide when facing another Olimar? I really want to get better. I'm trying to use air neutral A more b/c my opponent was using it and it was overriding a lot of my air moves. He also edge guarded in the game and while I'm not against edge guarding (I did it in SSBM), I haven't quite gotten it down yet in Brawl (it hasn't even been out a week yet so give me a break :/ )

zelazon

Smash Apprentice
The deal with oli vs oli matches is that the faster one to attackes is going to win. Also in my olimar vs olimar matches, there seems to be times where certain pikmin overpower one another, as purple are the strongest, and white (I'll have to do more research on this as I play more oli vs. oli matches) so in this sense, if you both do a smash attack and someone's is throwing a purple pikmin, not only will your attack be cancelled, but you'll still get hit by the pikmin.

The best thing to do in situations like this is to see what your opponent is doing and counter it. If you can manage to keep this up the whole match, then you'll be able to effectively dodge all of your opponent's attacks and deliver the blow needed to finish the match.

Another must for this match to make things easier is the wistle armor. As your opponent does his Fsmash, wistle armor, then punish him for it.

Also, if your opponent is spamming, the best thing to do is stand back and just hit a to knock the pikmin away from you, but dont be inclined to stand there for too long as ur opponent will take the opporitunity to punish u for standing there.

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
Watch your Pikmin order and that of your opponent. It's as simple as that. Counter the range of your opponent; whenever his heavier Pikmin come up, switch to your lighter ones and jump when you throw to make sure you hit him and he doesn't hit you, but if he's got lighter Pikmin out, just stay away, dodge, and discard your short-range Pikmin to pluck some longer-range ones. When you win the ranged war and your opponent's damage is high, _then_ you can go in close and start smashing for a quick kill. Go for a horizontal kill and edgehog him if necessary; Olimar's heavier than he looks, so vertical kills aren't so easy. Don't forget that Olimar's Utilt or Nair (which are pretty much the same move) is the most effective way to shake off any Pikmin trying to latch on to you.

Zori

Smash Champion
Also you want to sneek in grabs your opponent wont see it coming with 12 pikmin on the stage and use that to start a short combo. Also edgeguard but remember if your hit with a pikmin chain at a decent percentage it could mean the loss of you and the other olimars stock.

Top Bottom