• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for new player?

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
Hey all,

Got back into melee a lil while ago and decided to give Project M a shot with the 3.0 release.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice for a new lucario player in PM. A lot of videos to watch but not sure what works with current version. Kind of lost as to what I should pick up from these videos.

Any particular bread and butter combos I should know or any tactics I should be working on?

Just worried I'm going to pick up some bad habits if I dont do my research or get a bit of guidance.

Thanks all!

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
most of the changes from 2.6b > 3.0 were relatively modest buffs (and one nerf - he can't wall cling out of up-b) so a lot of the guides and videos from 2.6b should still be pretty helpful. i myself am pretty new to PM and picked up 2.6b lucario so i'm still learning a lot but my main thing would be once you get the hang of on-hit cancelling, do not let yourself get locked into the same combo strings. lucario has nearly endless options and is a lot of fun to play. it's so satisfying to get those combos.

learn the super system too. when you have aura (his hands are glowing), a side b + A will result in a really powerful throw that KOs a lot of characters at high percent and can be easy to get if you react to shield. B+A = aura bomb, and try cancelling the down b with various A moves or smashes. this can be used to recover as well, especially with dair or fair. up b can be cancelled with A for an air stall you can act out of and is great for recovery as well. i'm still getting the hang of that.

sorry i'm not the most helpful person, like i said i'm still learning myself so a lot of this is what i've learned from my friends and guides. again, most of the 2.6b guides will transfer fairly well to 3.0 as most of the changes werent super major.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
Thanks for the help man. I'll keep that in mind.

Anyone got any suggestions for any particular guides? I havent rly been able to find any. Only been able to find matches. Haven't found anyone really explaining or discussing lucario tech.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Thanks for the help man. I'll keep that in mind.

Anyone got any suggestions for any particular guides? I havent rly been able to find any. Only been able to find matches. Haven't found anyone really explaining or discussing lucario tech.
Look up the his official demonstration vid made by the PMBR themselves.

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Jabs into forward tilt or side B. then dash attacks into smashes

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
reading the character discussion threads could be a good start, and even the SSBPM subreddit has a couple of halfway decent lucario tips :p

recently i've been watching a lot of vanguard's matches when they get uploaded to youtube. he's pretty much my lucario idol and i've been learning/picking things up from him by watching the vids. here's a listing of most or all of his youtube videos. even when he loses they are still so great to watch because he plays really well. down-b chasing is one thing in particular i'm working on, as well as aura sphere cancelling. lots of work goes into playing lucario well but i think hes extremely satisfying to play because of that.

Vanguard

Smash Cadet
First of all, don't really refer to the PM Lucario demonstration vid. To understand OHC, sure, but it's insanely out of date. Some of what he does there is not possible, and new things ARE possible. Check out the responses to the other threads here asking for newbie tips! I'll post again with some copied tips of my own.

Hey gang. I'm working on a Lucario guide/tips/framedata thread. Hopefully we can has out the Lucario essentials there.

@Bequerel.
Also, great to hear you like my Lucario play becquerel. It's a good feeling. Not to sound cocky, but I definitely am playing sloppy in most/all of those videos. I guess I get nervous. I tend to perform a lot better in a more intimate environment, but I guess that's what I get for not frequenting more events.

I have a highlight reel Im working on as well from recorded friendlies during PM2.6 > 3.0 development. Losing some good stuff because I can't show off some of the dev build stuff, but I still thought, if I can reasonably show some, it'd be neat for people to see highlights of Lucario during development.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
@vanguard
i can totally understand that. i've only been to one tournament so far but i was so nervous i kept missing simple stuff that definitely cost me matches. now i'm really curious to see how you play in friendlies and the like cause your tourney matches blew me away when i first started watching them.

but yeah i always get kinda excited when i see there's a new video of your matches up so i'm totally stoked to hear you're working on a highlight reel. can't wait to watch it! i am loving 3.0 lucario, definitely glad i picked him as my main when i started playing 2.6.

AkashSky

Smash Apprentice
Alright lets say you are being edge-guarded and you have aura, (which happens ALOT). Usually, I almost always use my aura defensivly to recover back into the stage because saving yourself at a higher certainty (if you use the aura cancel to make your recovery unpredictable) is always worth it because you get the chance to start a new combo on the opponent, wheras if you don't you risk dying and losing a stock. In other words its better to be safe than sorry.

Unfortunately it will take you a while to get the aura cancel timings down. Just keep at it and you will be able to cancel whenever you want after 30 or so games.

What i like to do is cancel Down B's to get extra accelleration forward, sometimes its not the greatest thing to do but I like to get back on the stage faster sometimes. Its also a great way to run away from somebody. You can also Cancel the extremespeeds to get an air dodge up for a bit more vertical recovery.

@vanguard

How do you cancel down b into neutral air exactly? Whenever I try I always cancel into down air or forward air only.

Vanguard

Smash Cadet
@AkashSky
You can buffer a move out of downB super cancel. So for 'Super.Aerial.DownB.x.Nair' you simply Down-B in air and hold A. It will automatically activate when the cancel window begins.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
^ thats a really neat trick. thanks for the tips guys.

@Vanguard sick matches man, i been watching them over and over to try to see some of the things you do. awesome lucario plays

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
^ thats a really neat trick. thanks for the tips guys.

@Vanguard sick matches man, i been watching them over and over to try to see some of the things you do. awesome lucario plays
..... Did you play DN?

Itazuki22

Smash Rookie
How do you go from an USmash into a Nair or anything, what is th time on this combo. Or a sideB

madluk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Madluk4745
How do you go from an USmash into a Nair or anything, what is th time on this combo. Or a sideB
I've just recently started playing lucario (yesterday actually), but i do know what you're talking about. I was experimenting with it last night and i noticed that it is only able to be cancelled when you make contact with the up smash on the enemy. After hitting them, you jump to cancel the USmash and then input the desired aerial attack. Lucario is mad fast for his size, i gotta say that

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
you can cancel usmash with a B move or jump after any hit on contact or on shield. the timing varies depending on how many hits you want to get in. it can be cancelled with the first hit, last hit, or any hit in between.
definitely go into training mode and continually usmash a cpu to get a feel for the timing and options out of usmash

Top Bottom