• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for my friends G&W

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
it's okay for the quality, as long as it's visible lol
i'm assuming your friend just picked up G&W or just started playing the game
if not, i'm sorry,it's just from his playstyle that i think this:p
because there's a lot that he didn't do
i saw only the vs marth one

he needs better spacing,a lot of it:(
more back air for sure,especially against marth
less predictable forward airs and downairs
he did a lot of forward airs,when he was literally right next to you lol
that's only the major improvements he needs
but that's all for now
More brawling/experience is the only way for one to notice their own flaws:p

anyway goodluck

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Overall he has a lot of bad habits. Not saying he is bad, just that he becomes overly predictable and needs to kick some bad habits.

Like every single time he is up in the air he throws out a Dair. Every time he was above you I immediately knew he was just going to Dair back down and hope to hit you. At one point in the second match he used like 3 Dairs right after each other until he got back down to the ground. It is a pretty laggy move when it lands on the ground and most players will shield or get out of the way and have something waiting for an obvious Dair.

And he loves his Dsmash too much too. It is a great move, but when the opponent is in your face throwing out a faster move like Dtilt is a much better option. Dsmash shouldn't be used so much until in killing percents. He tends to use it as a spacer but a high damaging move =/= as something like Dtilt or perhaps Utilt which will put the opponent in a bad position and open for something like a Nair which deals great damage while opening up for even more options.

He also spams Fair when he is really close to the ground which is very laggy on landing. If you want to use a Fair then it has to be used when you know the opponent can't punish the lag, from a full hop so the move is finished before landing or off stage. The last option generally being the "best" but it can be a good kill move on stage if nothing else is open. For on onstage kill though G&W has much better kill options. It also looks like he tries to approach with Fair but G&W has much better approaches. In most matchups Bair is a monster and Nair can do wonders from under a platform.

DI needs some work too and if he can pick up on bucket braking (using Nair to cancel out the flying animation after being hit and then Down B to halt G&W's movement) then G&W will live to just ridiculous percents. I have personally gotten to over 200% before being killed, and nothing is worse to the opponent's morale than not being able to kill the second lightest character in the game.

Soapeh

Smash Rookie
Haha, don't know why you recorded/posted those o-o; I wasn't really trying yesterday o:

Also, to those commenting, I don't own a wii/brawl, I only play every other weekend when I go by his house xD

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
ahhh there ya go then,
if you don't plan to be competitive(not just rl tournies,overall) it doesn't really matter how you play
just have fun,you'll figure all this stuff out along the way if you want to be good with G&W

AmazingXeno

Smash Cadet
ahhh there ya go then,
if you don't plan to be competitive(not just rl tournies,overall) it doesn't really matter how you play
just have fun,you'll figure all this stuff out along the way if you want to be good with G&W
I agree completely, besides, you don't try to maindgame very much with his DownB, or try to chain grab enough.

Top Bottom