• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for L-cancel, Fast Fall, or Short Hop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon011

Smash Rookie
Okay, so recently I've found out about the "advanced techniques" that are a staple around the SWF, I've tried Wavedash, although i can't do it consistently I can do it so that's just a matter of practice. However I've tried L-canceling and have not been able to do this with Young Link. Additionally, is there any reliable way to short hop then fast fall using the control stick and not the x/y buttons?

Apologies for any incoherency in my writing, it's 11:09 and I'm tired, bored at my computer trying to get to work writing this thing for school :ohwell:

halfDemon

Smash Lord
All three just require practice: there's really nothing else we can say.

For l-canceling: remember that you must press L, R, or Z right before you hit the ground, not after. Also, you just might not be noticing it, but in fact still l-canceling. At first, especially with faster moves like his neutral A, it's hard to notice. It's really easy to tell for his DAir, so I recommend trying that for practice. Also, Ganon's and Bowser's attacks are pretty noticable, especially their DAirs, so it wouldn't hurt to practice with them.

For fastfalling, you have to use the Control Stick. Just press down at the peak of your jump.

As for shorthopping with the Control Stick, yes, it is possible. I, however, don't recommend it. I used to use the Control Stick, too but I got in the habit of using Y and it's really beneficial and MUCH easier to do consistently especially with harder ones like Fox and Sheik. If you still really want to, though, my advice is to remember that it's not how lightly you press up with the stick, but how quickly. Just do very quick flicks; you'll get the hang of it. I still say you should switch to Y/X ASAP.

Hope I helped. Remember: practice, prcatice, practice!

Anon011

Smash Rookie
Thanks, I know practice is the name of the game, just wanted some kind of confirmation or validation on the kind of method I should use in the execution of these moves. Otherwise you run the risk of practicing what you think does it only to realize that you're really just doing nothing (And I want to emphasize that fast-falling out of a short hop is what i didn't know how to do, fastfalling out of a full or double jump is as easy as a rolling dodge)

Once more, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom