• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips For Improvement?

Madcatz McGee

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone,
I have recently began to transition to Smash 4 as my game of choice over Melee due to hand problems affecting my play in Melee. I have played Smash 4 for around 3-4 months now (Lucario/Rosa main), but I am not progressing much and I feel that I am approaching the game wrong. So like, with Melee I could grind tech for a bit and I would be fine, but I don't feel like Smash 4 should be approached the same way.
Anyhow, does anybody have good suggestions for a player fairly new to Smash 4 on improving? Any advice would be appreciated, as I am fresh and fairly new to this game. Thanks again.

D

Deleted member

I keep hearing that Smash 4 isn't nearly as technically demanding as Melee. But here are a few prerequisite tips:

1. Read and/or watch guides on your characters. Once you've absorbed as much as you can, practice these techs for yourself. Now, I personally like to see some matchup videos on Smashvods with my girls :4peach::rosalina: (my mains) and :4bayonetta2::4lucina: (my secondaries) in action and deviate from there.
  2. Seriously, now, practice. That's what any of us here will tell newcomers. It doesn't have to be everyday but you have to be willing to put forth the time and effort.
  3. Avoid using CPUs to practice. They do come in handy to practice some techs and combos but they pitifully underutilize the characters. For example, a low-level :4luigi: doesn't make the best use of recovery options or a :4ganondorf: never attempts to Ganoncide you. Now, humans can anticipate you, they know combos, have matchup knowledge, all that good stuff.
  4. Save your replays and seek advice. Folks can tell you where you went wrong and how to improve on it.
  5. Study everything. There are (video) guides that cover general things like advanced techs, the neutral game, character matchups, etc. Yes, Smash has quite the learning curve but knowing the general things goes a long way.
  6. Just enjoy yourself and don't worry overmuch about winning. Now you may think you're not getting anywhere but you really are. Remember, no one's blessed with a skill. They earn it.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
You can read as many tips and watch as many videos as you want... from personal experience, your attitude about the whole matter will be the biggest factor in how good you get, and I can say that cause personally I gave up long ago. Too many frustration issues. If you can work through that frustration and become an emotionless gamer and just not give a crap, then competitive gaming may be for you!

I can't though, so I gave up. I have 7 dents in my wall to prove I just can't handle the frustration. All forms of competitive gaming are not for me. And that's the decision anyone has to make, never force yourself.

Last edited:

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
I'm not very good myself, but I've found that I was able to improve a good deal after watching high level videos and noticing the combos and matchups. As long as you approach the game with an open mind and don't get too bummed out, you will notice improvement.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
For Lucario, there's a Youtuber named Izaw that did a video called "The Art of Lucario." Man goes real in depth and theorizes based on making analysis and deductions on every part of the character, starting with a breakdown of each move. Tsu's also a competitive Lucario player in Sm4sh that you could follow.

For Peach, I think at the time being, there's a player called Samsora who plays Peach in a competitive commitment. Watch their sets to get an idea of how they should be played.

If you look up and click on Guides, you'll notice that Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U have the most out of all four (591), with Lucario (8) and Peach (39). Those are worth looking over too.

And there's Anther's Ladder too. Also check out DMG Alliance on Youtube. I don't know if they feature Lucario or Peach, but their montages are amazing.

flamer180

Banned via Administration
Hello everyone,
I have recently began to transition to Smash 4 as my game of choice over Melee due to hand problems affecting my play in Melee. I have played Smash 4 for around 3-4 months now (Lucario/Rosa main), but I am not progressing much and I feel that I am approaching the game wrong. So like, with Melee I could grind tech for a bit and I would be fine, but I don't feel like Smash 4 should be approached the same way.
Anyhow, does anybody have good suggestions for a player fairly new to Smash 4 on improving? Any advice would be appreciated, as I am fresh and fairly new to this game. Thanks again.
Do you use your shield?

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
Go to your local tournaments, and just play friendlies with people until it closes (you don't even have to join, just play some games)

You'll find that people will give you tips on how to beat their mains if you ask.

Top Bottom