• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for handling Marth in PAL?

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
I have trouble dealing with Marth, because I get scared approaching him because of his tippers and disjointed hitboxes so I find it hard to get in and deal damage, I find camping needles would leave sheik very vulnerable because of the lag after throwing. And I can't approach from above because Marth destroys sheik in the air, when he's below her.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Stay grounded and moving. Look to punish his laggy moves with prefferebly Boost Grab below CC percent and Dash Attack above. Look up Marth' frame data to find the moves you want to directly whiff punish (the ones with the most landing/ending lag. Good examples are Fsmash, Dair, Counter and grab attempts). At close quarters you wanna CC at low percents or shield his attacks (aerials and grounded), Nair OoS or Shield Grab him or if they are well spaced you want to WD OoS Ftilt.

Learn your options from grab, and how to edge guard him (including The Marth Killer)

Btw. if any of those words/abbreviations are new to you feel free to say so and I'll explain

Last edited:

Seal

Smash Journeyman
Your grabs are incredibly important against Marth. Try and bait out the f-smash, then dash in and grab em. Try and keep the combos flowing from there. Sheik can do some pretty awesome stuff against Marth.

Seal

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure exactly how the down throw was changed in PAL, but I'm sure if you look up "sheik grab combos on mid weights (or marth specifically) in PAL", you'll find a couple of good follow ups.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
grab always, never jab his shield or do stupid things that he can shield grab. your spotdodge is faster than his

use helluvalot needles in the neutral game and edgeguarding

cc a lot but beware as his tippered moves cannot be ccd

boost grab is good, so is dash attack

Scroll

Smash Ace
Could you please explain CC to me?
CC means holding down while standing on the ground. Crouch Cancel.
If you are at 0% and holding down you won't be knocked over by most of anything Marth throws at you.
Yes you do still take damage (same amount) but you can emediatly retaliate with say a grab which leads to a guaranteede knock down and so you come out on top.
Most people know all about this and the specific percentages and thresholds and so they won't go for "weak" attacks when the opponent is still at CC range.
You see many newer sheiks Dash Attack an experienced player at 0%. They simply crouch and grab the sheik.
Depending on what character you are up against you need to wait using DA until it lift them off the ground even if they hold down.
This is why needles are so important. And Sheiks grab game.

Timmay08

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Timmay08
CC means holding down while standing on the ground. Crouch Cancel.
If you are at 0% and holding down you won't be knocked over by most of anything Marth throws at you.
Yes you do still take damage (same amount) but you can immediately retaliate with say a grab which leads to a guaranteed knock down and so you come out on top.
Most people know all about this and the specific percentages and thresholds and so they won't go for "weak" attacks when the opponent is still at CC range.
You see many newer sheiks Dash Attack an experienced player at 0%. They simply crouch and grab the sheik.
Depending on what character you are up against you need to wait using DA until it lift them off the ground even if they hold down.
This is why needles are so important. And Sheiks grab game.
Yeah, I play with a bunch of guys who have CC implemented into their game. My punish game is terrible but at least CC will give me more opportunities to punish. Is there a data sheet somewhere of the percentages and whatnot of when CC will work?

Timmay08

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Timmay08
Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Thanks mate, will do. Do you know if there are any differences between PAL and NTSC when it comes to CC?
There is no difference to how CC works on it's own, BUT in PAL some charatcers weigh more or less than earlier versions.
Or some moves deals more or less damage. Those two factors are indeed relevant

Top Bottom