• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for going against Yoshi

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if it's just me, but this character gives me hell. It feels like every time I try and punish they manage to get out just in time. Eggs really hinder my edgeguarding game too. Even if I avoid tons of damage from their juggle setups, I usually get punished on landing too.
This MU just feels obnoxious.

I only encountered one Yoshi but the the lag was horrendous.... so idk

Only thing I know is that you can't counter his eggs at all. You'll get hit out of the attack anyway

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I can't really help you here. However, the Egg Toss portion above is true, because AFAIK about Yoshi, the Egg Toss still has a initial hit-box from the egg itself, & the egg's detonation is a 2nd hit-box, so Vision is kinda boned there. (If that didn't change from Brawl)

Yoshi is obnoxious in Sm4sh, but if you can read their recovery movement, then a MArt Jump moment of walking off > DJ aerial connecting can be do-able while they use Egg Tossing as their go-to horizontal means, because a smart Yoshi won't use their DJ so early when they can just use horizontal air speed + ET's. The bad yoshis are the ones who waste their DJ too early.

One tricky way of bypassing their Egg Tosses, is having MJump on, RAR + FH over the assumed area they'll Toss Eggs, then have your FF + B-air ready for edge-guarding on the way down. In case you whiff, DJ > an aerial to cross-up. Hope that helped ya @ Madolche ♦ Procione Madolche ♦ Procione

And finally, Yoshi is still susceptible to footstooling in this game, so MJump or MSpeed are your friendly Marts for this. Increasing your own air speed by MJump or MSpeed, will serve Shulk well.

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
I can't really help you here. However, the Egg Toss portion above is true, because AFAIK about Yoshi, the Egg Toss still has a initial hit-box from the egg itself, & the egg's detonation is a 2nd hit-box, so Vision is kinda boned there. (If that didn't change from Brawl)

Yoshi is obnoxious in Sm4sh, but if you can read their recovery movement, then a MArt Jump moment of walking off > DJ aerial connecting can be do-able while they use Egg Tossing as their go-to horizontal means, because a smart Yoshi won't use their DJ so early when they can just use horizontal air speed + ET's. The bad yoshis are the ones who waste their DJ too early.

One tricky way of bypassing their Egg Tosses, is having MJump on, RAR + FH over the assumed area they'll Toss Eggs, then have your FF + B-air ready for edge-guarding on the way down. In case you whiff, DJ > an aerial to cross-up. Hope that helped ya @ Madolche ♦ Procione Madolche ♦ Procione

And finally, Yoshi is still susceptible to footstooling in this game, so MJump or MSpeed are your friendly Marts for this. Increasing your own air speed by MJump or MSpeed, will serve Shulk well.
Speed really does help me, but I definitely need to incorporate more Jump in this matchup.
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to remember this. c:

Top Bottom