• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for first tournament?

PD | Lewd

Smash Apprentice
As the title says, I'm attending my first big tournament tomorrow at Tennessee Tech for Tech the Smash 3. I've been to locals, but not a statewide one on a scale like this. Does anyone have any tips on how to handle it/what to expect? I won't give character info in the OP but if anyone wants to give any character tips I guess you could pm me about it. I'll be playing PM singles and doubles, and I might do melee singles.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

if it's your first tournament, character tips wont be your problem.

Nerves will be the main thing.
And there's not much you can do about it apart from knowing you'll mess up stuff you do easily otherwise.

Prepare yourself for nerves, and that's half the battle.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
you're going to lose. probably a lot. unless you have a lot of good solid experience against a wide berth of other players, you'll have issues with adaptation at first and the dreaded, but inevitable, tourney nerves. just be willing to toss money with very little chance to win it back at first and learn what you can.

nerves are harder to work around, that's really just a time issue. learn relaxation techniques to use quickly between games and rounds, so you can relieve tension and clear your mind out of ruts and traps you might put yourself in. if you get the chance to get on stream, do it. it'll help you learn to deal with the stress faster, since you'll have the feeling that all of the interwebz is watching you.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Bend your nerves to your will.

Or smack them upside the face with Ganondorf...

I mean your opponent, not your nerves btw

Rizner

Smash Ace
If you can, try doing friendlies and a couple money matches before pools with random people. If you lose a mm because of nerves, talk to them a bit after until you calm down again, then ask to do friendlies. Hopefully after that you realize it's all the same and do ok in your pool and can just enjoy the tournament

PD | Lewd

Smash Apprentice
Or smack them upside the face with Ganondorf...
Well, considering I play meta knight this might be challenging.

Also, thanks for all the tips guys it's helped a lot. Me and my friend are leaving here in an hour or so so I guess I'll keep you guys updated on pools. I think I'm gonna do melee just for laughs seeing as I'm not too good, but I'll learn some stuff along the way. Thanks!

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
Well, considering I play meta knight this might be challenging.

Also, thanks for all the tips guys it's helped a lot. Me and my friend are leaving here in an hour or so so I guess I'll keep you guys updated on pools. I think I'm gonna do melee just for laughs seeing as I'm not too good, but I'll learn some stuff along the way. Thanks!
Someone NOT playing Ganondorf or Captain Falcon in Tennessee? Heathen!

PD | Lewd

Smash Apprentice
I am a heathen
Who isn't. In other news I got 2-0d by every one in my pool, it was round robin btw. But on the other hand I did learn some SICK lucario stuff while I was there. Got to talk a bit with Iori and some other guys, overall a really great day and I learned a ton.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
well, you have the right attitude for it! just keep it up and hit up smashfests, as well as the tourneys!

Era)

KZOO SMASH CEO
Lewd, did you find that your nerves were an issue? When I first started going to tourneys, I always tried not to take myself too seriously. If you can master control of your nerves, it can be the tipping point for a match. I'm almost certain everyone here has a lost a match at some point because of nerves. Minimize the issue, and start taking advantage of it with others.

Also, I am a Lucario main as well <3

PD | Lewd

Smash Apprentice
Lewd, did you find that your nerves were an issue? When I first started going to tourneys, I always tried not to take myself too seriously. If you can master control of your nerves, it can be the tipping point for a match. I'm almost certain everyone here has a lost a match at some point because of nerves. Minimize the issue, and start taking advantage of it with others.

Also, I am a Lucario main as well <3
Well, surprisingly nerves weren't really a big issue for me. I knew most of the people there from locals. I wanted to do better, but I think I did alright. The best part was that I learned a ton of stuff for lucario so there's that.

Narpas_sword

I always try and break down my match into mini goals to help migitate nerves, giving yourself something smaller to focus on, instead of stressing about the win.

Like first stock, i always think 'ill try to keep my opponent on more % than me'

as we get near kill %, i focus on being more careful and not making a mistake.
If i get the kill and take the lead, i think to myself "try to get 30% on them before they kill me.
Then if i get that, i stretch it to another 30%.
After that i try and land a charge shot, and all of a sudden i find myself with a 85% lead, and they're off stage.

I just keep the mini-goals coming, to make sure i'm on track, feeling like you achieve something like getting 60% on for a stock lead mitigates the feel of a loss of stock when they do kill you, so you can keep positive.

Maybe that holds more for samus, because if i get a stock lead, bunkering down is a legit strat. As opponents can easily take 50-60% fishing for a kill when they get impatient vs samus.

Top Bottom