• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for Beating a Level 9?

Mightmaster99

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, anyone have tips for beating a level 9 CPU? Cuz I'm having a huge difficulty against them. I can take down anything easily, but I can't beat level 9's, unless they're: Olimar, Ness, Lucas. I also heard Ike is the "strongest character in brawl". What do you guys think makes him so special to people?

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Playing CPUs isn't really a great idea. They don't adapt like real people do, so it won't help you improve very much. If you aren't looking to improve and you're just messing around, I'm not really sure I can help you. I guess you just have to be good enough to beat them.

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
Hey guys, anyone have tips for beating a level 9 CPU? Cuz I'm having a huge difficulty against them. I can take down anything easily, but I can't beat level 9's, unless they're: Olimar, Ness, Lucas. I also heard Ike is the "strongest character in brawl". What do you guys think makes him so special to people?
Playing CPUs isn't really a great idea. They don't adapt like real people do, so it won't help you improve very much. If you aren't looking to improve and you're just messing around, I'm not really sure I can help you. I guess you just have to be good enough to beat them.
This is true. However, I feel that I am the perfect person to answer your question, as I have no friends to play with, no wi-fi, and got "better" at the game by playing CPUs...
Basically, focus on building up their damage until you can hit them with a solid kill move.
Speaking of kill moves: Ike has lots of moves that can kill as early as 50%. He isn't the best character, per se, but he is a powerful one. Hope I answered your question!

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Ok...

Like people said, lvl 9s wont help you get better... but thats not what you're saying. If you just want to beat them I have a strategy.

It basically comes down to
1. Being safe, spacing your moves and what not
2. Not rushing in too hastily, they powershield everything
3. Wait to attack cuz they always airdodge after you hit them with an attack
4. Since they never adapt, you can do the same things over and over. And they wont read you so you can be predictable as heck.

Thor

Smash Champion
I dunno who you play, but some characters do hilariously predictable things. For example, a level 9 MK knocked off the stage will almost always go for the ledge. Thanks to good timing, I killed one as Ike three times in a row with down tilt (it's a meteor smash) after throwing him offstage.

Basically, go test things, and try all kinds of stuff - if you get creative, you can find holes in AI, even advanced ones (the Project M AI, while "upgraded", has some especially hilarious problems).

As to the second half, Ike has incredibly powerful attacks, but he's not the best character - I'd say in terms of raw damage output, Snake has the lead, but in terms of damage per second, you're either looking at Ice Climbers or MK, since ICs can infinite people and quickly raise damage percents to well over 100% in less than 20 seconds, and Meta Knight is the character most conducive to stringing attacks at lower percents (for example, utilt -> utilt -> SH uair -> uair -> uair -> ... -> uair -> nair or Mach Tornado or even Shuttle Loop).

All that said, newer/inexperienced players tend to not use many defensive options at appropriate times, so Ike's smash attacks can seem difficult to avoid, and they are some of the earliest KOing smash attacks in the game (while he's not the strongest in any category, his usmash has a wide area and his fsmash is top 3). Since all his normal attacks (tilts [except dtilt], aerials, smashes, and jab) can KO around 150% when fresh (jab needs to be on the ledge), he can seem very strong at first glance. But as I stated above, when people improve at spacing, dodging, and reading Ike, he begins to seem as many view him now - having a few good attacks, but mainly being very laggy for his most powerful moves and rather gimpable, so he must be played very patiently and attempt to KO either with a hard read or with one of a few tricks that are basically all escapable.

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
If you keep on practising, you will get better. That's what I found. I don't have any tips, I just keep on getting better at I am fighting Level 9 CPUs regularly.
My strategies would be to try to avoid getting trapped in one of their annoying juggles, where they constantly hit you with Up Tilts and Up Smashes. You can Air Dodge with any character to not get hit upwards, and if you have enough range and good timing, some Down Airs will help you.
Also Down Specials like Falcon Kick and Pound The Ground.
If this isn't your problem then I don't have anything else... just keep playing.

Top Bottom