• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for a Melee player going on to P:M

D

Deleted member

I've been playing Melee since 03', (I don't count playing with my friends as tournaments/smashfests) and then I started playing competitive smash last May, and I gotta say, I've adapted pretty well.

My tech skill needs A LOT of work, but for the most part, I'd say I'm pretty okay.

My Melee mains are: Captain Falcon > Link > Luigi, and their P:M counterparts are not much of a difference.

But I wanted to come here to ask for some tips and advice for playing P:M, because right now, I cannot afford a Wii/Brawl/SD Card, and the Wii and Brawl that I used to have are in a storage unit in Utah.

All I've been doing is practicing more Melee and watching P:M Videos and studying the characters, since I cannot play P:M like I mentioned above.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
you're going to ltc, so how close to dallas/etc... are you? you might be able to make it out to some of the prep-fests, which'll help with getting used to the pm characters and small gameplay differences.

D

Deleted member

I live in Lewisville, TX, and 14 mins away from LTC

Wrestlemania

The Steel Chair
So as someone who only gets to play melee at home and PM when I go to my friends house for smashfests, if you are playing a character who is really similar then you should do pretty well the main thing to be prepared for is knowing the match ups that are not in melee and the characters that have been buffed like bowser, which is kinda tough if you don't own the game but...

D

Deleted member

So as someone who only gets to play melee at home and PM when I go to my friends house for smashfests, if you are playing a character who is really similar then you should do pretty well the main thing to be prepared for is knowing the match ups that are not in melee and the characters that have been buffed like bowser, which is kinda tough if you don't own the game but...
Thanks, I never really though of that lol

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
In no particular order:
  • Link and Luigi's a LOT better in this game, learn to counterpick with them often
  • which you ARE going to have to do at some point, since falcon's MUs have gotten less-than-pretty due to characters who can wreck fast fallers
  • general subjective tip from me: learn mario and never deal with counterpicks ever again

D

Deleted member

I already tried Doc in Melee, I think I should practice with him more though.

But thanks for the tips man, I'll definitely try Mario during friendlies at LTC!

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
Practice RAR and/or RAR wavedashing, it's a good alternative to Falcon's moonwalk for grabbing the ledge.

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
If you dont have access to the game, play melee. It's better to be gaming than it is to do nothing. You can only do so much to prepare yourself on material you don't have, so you will benefit from getting back into the process of high speed inputs and exercising those mechanics muscles. As far as meta-**** goes, reading the forums and familiarizing yourself with changes and watching videos will help, basically treat it like anything you practise. The more you can immerse yourself in the game, the better off you'll be once you actually start playing it. However, practise is the only thing that will make you get better and adapt to changes, so figure out a way to play it. You can't get good at something you don't do.

Top Bottom