• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for a beginner in Project M with Mario ?

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Hello there lads.
I wanted to start playing Project M and maining Mario/Dr.Mario (they are the same, that's nice). But I don't where to start, appart of course for learning wavedashing.
First of all, what can Mario do ? How does he play compared to Smash 4 ? And mostly, is Mario easy to start playing Project M ?
If you have any tips for starting maining the plumber in this version, it would help me a lot.

Thanks again for those who answered my questions and have a nice day/night.

EarthMLG

Smash Cadet
NNID
Earthu
3DS FC
1693-2889-1535
Playing Mario is actually pretty easy for a beginner playing Project M.

If you played Smash 4, I feel that its kinda easy to actually play him in Project M (still there is a big difference) . Mostly you want to practice L canceling. Once you do that then its a lot easier to practice his Air Attacks. (then you can work on wavedashing)

His meteor smash is actually the combined of Mario and Dr. Mario. Dr. Mario you have to land the sweet when his fist is above him. Mario's is when the fist is below him. This gives out a big range for a sweet spots, but beware this move comes out very slow and if you don't know how to L cancel then you are left open to attack.

Camping with fire balls is another good thing, do this you can try gain control of the stage.

His recovery is also pretty good even with the 3.5 update. When off the stage use Side B to use his curtain that slows his fall and you can do this twice before you are to far low. Then doing is Down B will cause the tornado. After using it keep smash B which will cause lift and point your move stick in the direction you want. Then finally use your Up B to grab the ledge.

Another good strat to get back on the stage is to let go of the stage and then Up B to hit your foe. This will only work once because you opponent will be ready again unless you try something different.

His grabs are really good (except the range be careful of that). When you have a grab I usually throw left or right at low %. When he has more percent (30-50) I do a down throw and his meteor smash. Although watch for DI.

Idk anything else but hopefully someone else will help you out more.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Playing Mario is actually pretty easy for a beginner playing Project M.

If you played Smash 4, I feel that its kinda easy to actually play him in Project M (still there is a big difference) . Mostly you want to practice L canceling. Once you do that then its a lot easier to practice his Air Attacks. (then you can work on wavedashing)

His meteor smash is actually the combined of Mario and Dr. Mario. Dr. Mario you have to land the sweet when his fist is above him. Mario's is when the fist is below him. This gives out a big range for a sweet spots, but beware this move comes out very slow and if you don't know how to L cancel then you are left open to attack.

Camping with fire balls is another good thing, do this you can try gain control of the stage.

His recovery is also pretty good even with the 3.5 update. When off the stage use Side B to use his curtain that slows his fall and you can do this twice before you are to far low. Then doing is Down B will cause the tornado. After using it keep smash B which will cause lift and point your move stick in the direction you want. Then finally use your Up B to grab the ledge.

Another good strat to get back on the stage is to let go of the stage and then Up B to hit your foe. This will only work once because you opponent will be ready again unless you try something different.

His grabs are really good (except the range be careful of that). When you have a grab I usually throw left or right at low %. When he has more percent (30-50) I do a down throw and his meteor smash. Although watch for DI.

Idk anything else but hopefully someone else will help you out more.
Thanks, that's very helpful !

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
That's a cape, not a curtain. As a Mario main, that's an important distinction to make.

Depending on the character you're playing against, you probably want to be dthrowing from 0%. You can chain grab many characters at least a couple of times with low % dthrows and then follow up after the chains are broken with either uair, bair, or fair (depending on %). Fast fallers can be chain grabbed with Uthrow and once they reach a decent %, you can chain a few dthrows, though it's probably not worth trying for too long. Bthrow can kill depending on % and positioning, but more often than not dthrow to fair is more reliable at a lower %. Not sure what to say about fthrow, as I don't really use it except to be annoying and get a quick toss off stage.

Just a few thoughts on what you posted, as it was pretty good for starting out.

@ Luggy Luggy Learn to B-Turnaround/B-Reversal/Wavebounce with Fireballs. It comes in handy for changing momentum in a fight at a moment's notice or covering a retreat/advance. Of course, don't get too predictable with it. Mario's jab is pretty handy for quick taps into grabs and works pretty well as a reset for it.

EarthMLG

Smash Cadet
NNID
Earthu
3DS FC
1693-2889-1535
That's a cape, not a curtain. As a Mario main, that's an important distinction to make.
HAHAHA oops Auto correct :p I mean cape

AssTAStic_ACA

Smash Apprentice
learn to combo.
learn to abuse down tilt its so godly.
learn to use jabs. so pressing A once and going into lets say grab or pretty much anything.
learn to wavedash/waveland(but wavedashing first). movement in this game is so important.
everything else was already said. check out the guide made by nameless i believe, he's really knowledgeable.

Last edited:

ISU_SMASH

Smash Rookie
A good place to start with learning Mario is his recovery. In order to use his tornado effectively, you are gonna need to mash B like crazy. To mash, I prefer to switch my hand position so that I mash with my pointer finger. That's just me. Test around with it and see what works.

Tornado is a good recovery tool, but make sure not to use it close to stage or else get rekt. I usually recover with tornado first, then capes, and then a jump or up+b. Always try to save your jump if possible.

Using Mario's recovery to its full potential will allow you to be able to come back from the blast zones, especially on large stages!

Top Bottom