• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips and tricks for a beginner Luigi

TheFuzzyAussie

Smash Rookie
So after a couple of years of playing casual Smash 64 and occasionally Melee I started to watch and try to get involved in more competitive melee. I bought myself a gamecube (second hand but been in storage since it was bought so basically new for $100 AUD with 2 new controllers, an absolute steal :D) But anyway...

I've done a lot of watching of competitive stuff and from all the characters and players I've seen so far I simply can't get over Abate's Luigi. The way Luigi slides and moves and combo's just seems to be exactly how I imagine playing Melee.

My question to you wonderful people is how should I get started?

I've watched some basic stuff on basic skills (teching, WD, CC etc) but I was wondering whether there was anything I should really be focussing on to get started properly?

I was also wondering how many wonderful Australian's there are out there playing this awesome game? Would love to find some Aussie's to practice with!

Thanks in advance for the help :)

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Wavedashing consistently. If you can't, you will really struggle to play Weegee. Everything else is of equal priority (edgeguarding, comboing, neutral, mindgames, etc.)

TheFuzzyAussie

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the link, will definitely watch this quite a few times...

Wavedashing consistently. If you can't, you will really struggle to play Weegee. Everything else is of equal priority (edgeguarding, comboing, neutral, mindgames, etc.)
From what I've played he is so wonderfully slippery when he WD's. Is there any particular practice methods you us or just practice practice practice? The more the better?

Will be spending a lot of time on this one too. Thanks :)

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
I try practicing all variations of wavedashing I can. So Wavelanding, Long wave dashes, wave dash dancing (just doing it back and forth), ledge dashes, jumping up to a platform and wavedashing off. You should try to get as comfortable with his movements as possible.

sskylann

Smash Rookie
Your welcome! And practicing movement is super important, id recommend really getting down the platform movement as well since its important in a lot of match ups. Don't forget the basics as well! Things like shffl's, double aerials, jump cancelled grabs/upsmash/up b, etc.

One more thing i'd like to add is to start working on luigi's recovery. Luigi's tornado (down b) is extremely important and takes a long time to start getting decent height.

TheFuzzyAussie

Smash Rookie
Yeh I've done a bit of work on the movement side of things. Still trying to get a handle on the actual length and feel of the wavedash. It's crazy when comparing to other characters ...

Your welcome! And practicing movement is super important, id recommend really getting down the platform movement as well since its important in a lot of match ups. Don't forget the basics as well! Things like shffl's, double aerials, jump cancelled grabs/upsmash/up b, etc.

One more thing i'd like to add is to start working on luigi's recovery. Luigi's tornado (down b) is extremely important and takes a long time to start getting decent height.
I knew it was going to be a long road butthese basics can definitely be overwhelming sometimes.
Also, with the SHFFL's, how much importance should I place on that? Luigi seems to have so much of a stronger approach from WD, should that be my main focus for approach to begin?

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
SHFFL's are good mix ups. Also since Luigi has little end lag you can wavedash back after it's finished with forward and down air. With approaching you want to really analyze what would work better, but the main component in basically all of your approaches will be wavedashing. So it will be like wave dash>something, and something can be: downsmash, SHFFL's, jab, grab, jab>something else, etc. You have a lot of options to pick from.

sskylann

Smash Rookie
SHFFL's can be also very deceptive with Luigi, so a lot of the times throwing out a SHFFL'd fair at close to max range can really throw off your opponent., due to how good the hitbox is and how quick it comes out. Also as Murphy said, its a good approach mix up. SHFFL neutral air can also be used to extend combos. Be creative!

TheFuzzyAussie

Smash Rookie
Awesome :) My memory card died so any practice has been brutal these past few weeks, new one came yesterday so looks like its back into practice my WD and SHFFL's. Desperate to nail a Vududash as well ha.

Thanks so much for all your help guys :)

Top Bottom