• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips and Critique

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys -

I don't want to post in the video thread as I feel my exploits as Diddy aren't good enough to be lumped together with JTails' tournie videos - but I was hoping you guys could help me out a bit here.

I've been a Diddy main since Brawl, and picked him up first thing in SSB4 - only to get bodied in my first 200 games in "For Glory". I had about a 40% winrate as Diddy, and was disgusted enough with myself that I learned Rosalina because I found her mindgamey playstyle so appealing.

In any case, about 2 weeks ago I was watching some JTails and Leffen - and I decided to try Diddy again. Something clicked. I started winning again with him, and I am now sitting at 450 games and a 60% overall winrate. I'm pretty happy. I'm wondering if any of you could offer some advice and critique to improve my playstyle? I try to play a fairly patient Diddy, and watch for openings. My controls have yet to be perfect so I still make mistakes (lots of times).

Here's a video from yesterday of me against a decent Ness that took a couple games off of me. I ended up 2 for 2. Ness' playstyle puzzles me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmuuMQFyFK8

After watching another JTails video I decided to work on these things over the next few days:
  • Dash to Shield
  • Spot Dodging after whiffs
  • Pivot Grabs/Dash Grabs
  • Mind-games/Mix-ups
  • Banana into Grab
Tonight I had what I consider a good game against a Ganondorf, during which I was trying to keep these things in mind. I usually play especially cautiously and careful around the heavies, only waiting for precise openings. Does anyone see any growth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQuGtElPBss

So much thanks for any feedback! It's a big help!

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Does anybody see any glaring errors that I'm making, or things that could improve? I'm already aware of the fact that I'm likely making UAir stale too early, and lately have been making a conscious effort to utilize more BAirs and FAirs. If wants to contribute - that's fine. I just wanted to interact with the Diddy community in a more active way.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
Scribbled notes from the first video:

-Falling in to the ground with FAir, try to limit this.
-Rolling behind predictably, try not to be afraid of being pressured to the ledge (This is huge when improving competitively, it was one of my habit breaking milestones of my tournament career)
-Full hop bait is very punishable, shouldn't do this unless you're throwing/Z-Dropping a banana.
-Not pulling out a banana when juggling
-Not keeping mobile when juggling
-Sitting around waiting to get hit in the face. Abuse Diddy's M&M Shield™.
-Never short hop falling FAir unless you see a spot dodge.
-Follow up at low percents more with FAir/UAir/bait
-Really need to be more mobile if you're going to let the opponent recover, at least to make them feel threatened and to give you leeway for unexpected opportunities. A mobile player is unpredictable and often leads to baited airdodges from the opponent!

Less scribbly notes from the second video:

-Solid improvements, still full hop baiting instead of pulling out a banana.
-Banana to grab is better than banana to dash attack in almost all matchups and I see you and many Diddy's at the moment doing this far too often. If the banana whiffs or is shielded, you're likely to get the grab unless they roll/spotdodge, leaving them to have to punish with something fast but likely not powerful. It's almost like an option select. Dash attack doesn't get you much followup potential compared to grab nor is it safe if the banana whiffs. Grab lets you set up for tons more damage

Example:
Smashed Far Banana (5%) -> Grab -> DThrow (7%) -> UAir (8%) = 20%
Smashed Far Banana (5%) -> Grab -> Pummel x1 (2%) -> DThrow (7%) -> UAir (8%) = 22%
Smashed Close Banana (7%) -> Grab -> Pummel x1 (2%) -> DThrow (7%) -> UAir (8%) = 24%
Smashed Close Banana (7%) -> Grab -> Pummel x1 (2%) -> DThrow (7%) -> FAir (12%) = 28%

...Compared to:
Smashed Far Banana (5%) -> Dash Attack (5%) -> UAir (8%) = 18%
Smashed Far Banana (5%) -> Dash Attack (5%) -> FAir (12%) = 22%
(You likely won't be able to get the close range +2% because of the initial dash frames hindering the dash attack, and FAir can be difficult to land at low percents because of the Dash Attack endlag)

Not only is it far more unsafe, it does a lot less damage and doesn't open up many opportunities as opposed to throws.
-Some of the same complaints as before exist, but far less pronounced. You'll get there eventually as you cement in your head what keeps burning you when you touch it.

Overall; I'd say there is definitely an improvement between the two videos. You mobilized quite a bit more and there were some solid mixups. I worry that some of it may be placebo because of the matchup, it's very easy to feel more empowered against slow characters, especially when they're not showing much of a threat.

"Diddy's M&M Shield" is a Registered Trademark of ADHD

Top Bottom