• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips against Diddy Kong?

ImmaAsian

Smash Cadet
I'm having trouble with this matchup, my friends Diddy usually gets the upper hand when I slip on a couple bananas, and his moves are very fast and combo me easy while I usually play defensively with more pills. Any tips?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
play on smaller stages W/ platforms
get his bananas and try to ether use them or put them in a place that isnt safe for him to go
do not throw them off stage
stay close so its unsafe for him to pull bananas
pressure him
dont be defensive or he will take over the game
his projectiles can control the pace if u allow it
just general stuff you may already know

Pokerhappy

Smash Cadet
My two cents:
If Diddy's throwing multiple bananas at once, always be looking to use them against him, provided you're not already being comboed. If it's just one, you can try to cape it or grab it via wavedash. Be wary of a banana thrown out of shield or z-dropped. You don't want to do anything crazy if he's got a banana in his hands because you could be easily punished.

I also suggest getting very good at spot dodges. Predict when a dash attack or grab is coming and punish. Crouch cancel dtilts. Don't get fsmashed. Etc.

If monkey flip shenanigans are a problem, learn their frame data by heart. The grab is insanely punishable if they use it poorly.

Risky

Smash Ace
Fireballs will clank with bananas, no? I don't think any character should be able to control Mario in the neutral with projectiles. I wouldn't try to cape them too much as that can be baited out/punished the most easily. If he takes you to a big stage and you can't deal with bananas full jump fireballs make you really hard to hit and approaching tough, just make sure you're always watching where he is so you aren't caught fireballing as he comes in.

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
Fireballs will clank with bananas, no? I don't think any character should be able to control Mario in the neutral with projectiles. I wouldn't try to cape them too much as that can be baited out/punished the most easily. If he takes you to a big stage and you can't deal with bananas full jump fireballs make you really hard to hit and approaching tough, just make sure you're always watching where he is so you aren't caught fireballing as he comes in.
Use your retreating SH Spot dodge and N-air more to grab projectile watch diddy's aerial movement His fair has really long landing lag so he'll probably DI down lead in with F-throw and F-tilt/D-smash to edgegaurding with Blind-U-air or Fireballs this takes practice. You can do B-air as well but you need percise aim and timing not to fall into d-air. Stage spike with Up-B and N-air works aswell as does chasing his smashes after his Up-B.

Top Bottom