• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tipper! halp me :(

tysquirt

Smash Rookie
Sup guys, long time smasher and prrtty proficient player. However, as ive gone into the meta of dashdancing, wavedashing, l cancelling my ariel attacks near perfectly, i have one problem. I cant seem to beat my marth playing brother who only ever walks and uses marths f-smash and grab. Literally nothing else, except the occasional parry. How do i stop this from happening, and how do i counter the marth tipper? I usually play falcon and cant shield grab because the f-smash pushes me away. Halp me

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Okay, this matchup basically comes down to who effs up first. What you want to do is stay out of his range via dash dancing, wait for him to throw a move, then punish accordingly. If he's FSmashing your shield with tipper, he's probably doing it right. Otherwise, you have enough time I believe to punish with an aerial OOS. For grabs...well, keep in mind Falcon has a rather short grab range, so...yeah. That's just my two cents. Someone who ACTUALLY plays Falcon can probably tell you better advise, lol.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Try baiting his F-smashes out and then punishing its long endlag. Good Dash Dancing and doing empty jumps into wavelands back (to fake a SHFFL and retreat) are both good ways of doing this. But if you do eff up and only have enough time to shield, Buffer Rolling behind him or Shield-DI'ing towards him will prob give you a grab opportunity, or an aerial OOS in the latter case.

Just...when facing any Marth that throws out lots of F-smashes in general, regardless of which character you play, you should take advantage of how long the endlag of the move is (the period of time after he throws out an attack, and can't do anything for a short time until the animation ends). Punish them hard for it until they don't want to use it as much and try resorting to other things.

Fortress

Smash Master
Sup guys, long time smasher and prrtty proficient player. However, as ive gone into the meta of dashdancing, wavedashing, l cancelling my ariel attacks near perfectly, i have one problem. I cant seem to beat my marth playing brother who only ever walks and uses marths f-smash and grab. Literally nothing else, except the occasional parry. How do i stop this from happening, and how do i counter the marth tipper? I usually play falcon and cant shield grab because the f-smash pushes me away. Halp me
Wavedash OoS, or experiment with side-B OoS to disrupt his positioning after F-smash connects with your block. Not sure if you can get away with the second one, but WD OoS > Boost Grab/Falcon Kick are solid options.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Wavedash OoS, or experiment with side-B OoS to disrupt his positioning after F-smash connects with your block. Not sure if you can get away with the second one, but WD OoS > Boost Grab/Falcon Kick are solid options.
He could probably do those straight OOS without WD'ing; they both go fairly far and the WD would just cost him precious time aha. WD OOS isn't a very solid option for Falcon, since it's super short; his grounded options (disregarding the specials we just mentioned) are shorter ranged too; the Marth would be safe so long as he spaced the F-smash correctly.

tysquirt

Smash Rookie
Thats basically my struggle, i appreciate all the replies. Actually, i like falcons WD because i love dash dancing and using it to do strange pivots, because you always dash after a wavedash. I'll try your advice, many thanks guys!

Top Bottom