• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Timing on the down throw to aerial?

ConfusedSloth

Smash Rookie
So I was wondering if someone could tell me the specific timing for zelda's dThrow to Nair or Uair as opponents would constantly escape/air dodge them. After dThrow I just jump for the aerial which keeps getting dodged so I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. Is it from me jumping to slow or am I missing a whole nother problem. (For reference I usually Nair between 0-25% anything beyond that I use Uair)

ActionShot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Actionshot35
Down throw to nair seems to connect well if you jump and nair immediately at low percents. Afterwards they start to be able to air dodge it, so a good idea is to down throw into nair a few times to get them used to it so they air dodge. Once you've conditioned them to air dodge to avoid being nair'd, after the down throw, jump but don't throw out an aerial yet, wait until after they air dodge and then throw it out so it hits after the dodge. You can get really easy light kicks or up airs by just hesitating and baiting the air dodge once they are used to dodging.

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
As soon as you're able to act out of dthrow, you should be jumping and nairing/uairing at the exact same time so you reach the opponent with active hitboxes out already. That's the most reliable way of stringing the two moves together. It does depend on what character you're facing though as floaty characters like Rosie and Peach will never be caught in this string no matter what percent they are unless they just do nothing, obviously. Characters like that can double jump or airdodge before you can follow up. Proper DI only makes this more difficult on you as Zelda. If they airdodge, like ActionShot said, notice their pattern in airdodging and punish it with a lightning kick. Just to specify, on many characters, this "combo" isn't a combo at all but a string meaning that it is usually pretty reliable but can be broken out of at any point making airdodge reads more important whereas a true combo cannot.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
easy way to do the combo is to buffer a jump and use the attack right as you jump, this should work for you. the combo is difficult on some lighter characters, but the dthrow to uair kill combo can even hit rosalina so its matter of DI

samster

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamHdez
What I typically do is right before the down throw animation is over, I immediately push the jump button, the game registers the inputs and Zelda jumps right away. It nearly always works with characters that aren't floaty and are on low percents. Like Zylach said, DI-ing and floaties escape very easily. You can always follow the down air with an up air which is pretty reliable too, likewise, with her lightning kick - though you'll most likely sourspot it.
Ehh, I know a thing or two about Zelda. I'm trying to improve :D

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
it's also worth mentioning some characters can be hit with nair only when you full hop! no no short hopping against floaties if you want to combo

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
What I typically do is right before the down throw animation is over, I immediately push the jump button, the game registers the inputs and Zelda jumps right away.
I had no idea you could do this, that sounds like a good technique to ensure you jump as early as possible.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Posted in the wrong thread... delete this post. >_>

Last edited:
Top Bottom