• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List from what I have seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redpunter

Smash Cadet
I get we haven't seen enough gameplay yet, but there are some characters that have amazing traits that we can pick up almost immediately. So for the characters I have seen/played with not just For Glory players but with friends where we find out combos/strategies, I will talk about (note, I'm not a professional and I'm not going to be saying this is THE tier list, but I'm going off of what I know and what I've seen, don't like it, that's fine, you have a right to your own opinion) The characters are not in any order in their tiers.
Top Tier: ( S to about A-B tier in case your wondering) Rosalina, Yoshi, Bowser.Jr, Diddy Kong, ZSS
Between Top and Mid tier: Robin, Pac-Man, Toon Link, Samus, Duck Hunt, Greninja
Mid Tier: Sheik, Marth, Cptn Falcon, Shulk

That's about all the characters that I can predict really. So lets go over them
Top Tier

Rosalina: She has great range game with decent follow up potential. Luma can sheild most projectiles for her, and the rest she can Down B. Over all, good combo games, nice follow ups, good ledge guarding with Luma, and the ability to block most projectiles make her a force to be reckoned with, plus, her Smash attacks are amazing.

Yoshi: With the rise of Amsa in Melee, I think most of us gave him a shot the second we got the 3ds version. His dash attack is good, with a decent air game to boot, smash attacks are great for edge guarding, and his landing after being launched can be unpredictable is used right. His eggs are great for juggling and his back and up airs or great for KOs, making him really good this game.

BowserJR: His spacing game is fantastic and can easily rack up damage that way, all of his smash attacks have a good purpose to him, his throws are really good, and his up b is an amazing edge guard.

Diddy Kong: This is the one I know the least about, however, his down b has alot of power to it, as you can do whatever you want to your opponent when their down. His side b is good and his recovery is a tad predicable but if your good, you should have to use it too often, honestly, only reason I'm typing this is because I've seen JTails wreck people with him and I know Diddy is going to be high tier.

ZSS: ....... Do I even need to explain this one? If you played For Glory a couple times, you've seen how good she is, her dash attack is nice, grab game is amazing, and her side b can set her up to do whatever she wants, only fears for her is probably a good Dark/Pit and a Rosalina

In Between Tiers.
Robin: I main Robin, and I'll be honest for a second, he is good, but not amazing. Lets go over his good, while most say his dash attack is terrible, I find it very good, it can be disruptive and not too many people see it coming. Elthunder is also good for the same purpose. Arc Thunder/Fire have to be used with caution as often, people can see it coming, but if used at the right time, you can capitalize on it. His smash attack aren't the best, but aren't the worst either. His Down Smash can be used for edge guarding, but its predicable any other way, side smash is good but you have to use it with consideration. Up smash, is ok. Grab game is good and his up air, oh his up air, if used with levin sword, it is amazing. One of the few draw backs is his durability, but if you can over come that, you have an amazing choice right here.

Pac-Man: He has a long ranged grab, if you have that, your probably going to be high tier. his combo power and smash attacks are great. His specials however, are lack luster, his neutral is the best out of them, and is fantastic, each one of the power ups has a good use to it, and can be very handy in rough situations. His side b however, is predictable, and can be seen a mile away. Literally, you can see where he is going and it sorta is bad in that respect, you can plan out what you can do against him, and they can use that to their advantage. Down B, if I remember correctly, can be a spike, its semi useful but eh I digress. Up B is very good and you can almost make it the whole back to stage with the third jump.

Toon Link: Well, welcome back to the higher tiers buddy. His down air is good, but his range game is where it is at for him. You can space your opponent easily, and wrack up alot of damage, Smash attack are astoundingly good, and its just overall great for him, his recovery is decent but if you can get your opponent to 100% before you do, you'll be in good shape.

Samus: Not really going to repeat here, basically the same as Toon Link, edge guarding is good, smashs are good, and recovery is decent. Her air game is decent too, but its nothing to special to discuss honestly.

Duck Hunt: M2K plays him. Thats some high credentials right there. His spacing is amazing, smash attack are good. His neutral b is amazing as a ledge guard and is one of the best things about this character. Air game is decent and recovery is..... honestly can't think of the right way to put it but, awkward but hard to predict. He is probably one of the best characters to play against Little Mac.

Greninja: His side b is infuriatingly good as long as you dont spam it. His grab game is nice, air game is good, he has nice follow up potential, smashs are good, but almost all his attack can be predicted and countered if you know how to deal with it. Which is, Up-Smash if he down airs you, roll out of the way if he side b's the S-Smash and use multi hit moves if he down b's.

Mid Tier

Sheik has nice spacing game with a surprisingly good ledge guard game to boot. However he (wait, should I call her a she, since she's technically Zelda?) suffers from the problem of being out spaced , and it can honestly be one sided at time. She has a disrupter in her neutral b, but can suffer from better long ranged fighters. Her close quarters game is top notch but you might have trouble getting in to do so.

Marth: One of my other mains, he is powerful but falters due to lack of projectile, which seems to be a main meta thing. His close quarters game is amazing but once again, might have trouble getting in to actually use it.

Captain Falcon: Another character lacking a projectile, he actually has a good approach in his down b and can get into attack. It can be tricky, but you can get it to work. He is has good, if not sometimes predicable KO moves, and his air game is decent. He is overall good, just lacking spacing game.

Shulk: He has good smash attack, and I play him without Monado arts, which I know is bad, but I cant remember what each one does. His Up special can counter edge guarders and has decent recovery vertically with it. His side b is a good approach and can be used to ko opponents. His down smash is amazing for ledge guarding and his side is also good, once again lacks projectiles but if used right, could counter most on this list.

So thats it folks, this is off of what I've seen and done. A little bit of this data is off of course, but I don't main every character people. So tell me what you think. Me personally, think this is a good start to a tier list.

Last edited:

KingCowman

Smash Rookie
This is really limited, you seem to have put a lot of thought into this but it doesn't quite go far enough compared to the huge discussions that normally go into tier lists. Additionally you fail to rank the rest of the cast, are we to assume they are low tier in your eyes? Or that you just don't play them.

Also please space out each character with double spaces. Some extra formatting is always nice.

You also seem to think that moves that are "Good approaches" are good because they have a higher priority/move fast, but captain falcons for instance, never really approach with a falcon kick because it is easily shield punished or spot dodged punished.

Projectile game is a good part to analyze but it feels like the center of your tier list requirements, that someone must have a projectile.

Additionally projectile game is weakened on platform stages but there is no mention of platform play here. I assume you got all your impressions from For Glory?

At best, this is a limited tier list directed at mid to low level play on omega stages only.

Redpunter

Smash Cadet
A couple things, first, I don't know as much about the rest of the cast, so I'm going off the characters I know. For the moment, I see Yoshi's (Island? Story? whatever one is on the 3ds), Arena Ferox, FD, and Battlefield the balanced stages. Projectiles are important for spacing game though, so its important to have a good one. Granted you don't have to have one to be good, but a good projectile will always help. Falcons kick, your right about, but I was running about 15 characters on this list, so some things will be off of course. The characters I didn't mention arent lower tiers, heck I could've missed a few top tiers, but I'm going off of what I know, not just pretending I know how every character works, because I don't. Thanks for the input though

Last edited:

Reader

Smash Apprentice
- It is too early for tier lists
- Tier lists require lots of discussion and cannot be objectively made by a one person
- We do not have competent tournament rankings yet
- The game was just patched and had major engine changes
- IT IS TOO EARLY FOR TIER LISTS

While I appreciate your effort, I don't think that we can make accurate tier lists yet.

Redpunter

Smash Cadet
Of course Space, thats not a problem, it is too early for tier lists, I'm just going off what I've seen/done and making an educated guess about it.

Redpunter

Smash Cadet
And I would just like to say that this is just MY opinion, not saying this is the truth, just my guess. Just wanted that known

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Tier lists will keep changing with these updates that Ninty is sending out. Yeah we can probably develop in alright idea of a tier list in the next year or so, but how much longer will it take us to figure out if Nintendo is constantly changing up characters? Personally, I think we're gonna need a new system of tier lists until we're sure that the game will no longer be updated.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Discuss this in the competitive character discussion sticky. That said, people don't take kindly to tier lists 'round these parts. Just a friendly warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom