• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thunder Shield Pressure

O Hobbit

Smash Cadet
Since I never heard someone talking about this, I decided to make a short video about it.

I think that using thunder as a pressure tool is an amazing mix up, since
- the opponents becomes afraid of it;
- usually goes unpunished;
- take 23% damage if they drop the shield;
- can lead into a few mix ups, like tomahawk > grab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=612R8ZVivgw

Megamang

Smash Lord
Is it possible to squeeze in an uair in the first jump, as you begin your descent? That might really push this thing over the edge yo.

O Hobbit

Smash Cadet
Is it possible to squeeze in an uair in the first jump, as you begin your descent? That might really push this thing over the edge yo.
Yes. The up-air shield damage is not enough to lead into the shield break, but if the opponent keeps his shield on from the up-air until the thunder... Well, if he does so he is pretty much dead XD
It's as the video says, you have to condition your opponent the shield.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Wait. If they're holding shield near the edge waiting for your option, could you drop off jump thunder for a shield pressure/break? Seems like it'd hit depending on the edge of the stage.

O Hobbit

Smash Cadet
Wait. If they're holding shield near the edge waiting for your option, could you drop off jump thunder for a shield pressure/break? Seems like it'd hit depending on the edge of the stage.
You can. However, if they're prepared for it, you may get spiked or stage spike or punished for grabbing the ledge again

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
Could down smash add to this since in now locks people in shield? Its slow to start but if they are really intent on shielding maybe it could cause a break.

Megamang

Smash Lord
If they shield all this, dsmash will probably always shield poke, so theres that. It sends them at a pretty good angle, though there are probably a lot higher damage options.

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
I didnt think downsmash really shield poked due to the hitboxes being to large (so they would alway connect with the shield), atleast if they are somewhat centered, though i could be very wrong

AncientCode42

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Surge_Production
This is very interesting I might want to try this out. How often can this be used or is it situational?

Top Bottom