• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thunder Meteor Smash

Cedy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cedyism
Hi, i'm here to talk about one thing that changes in Pikachu moveset : His thunder. It's now a meteor Smash.

I saw many people saying it's a buff, since it could easily KO people and make good combos, but somepeople also said that it could be a nerf, because the opponent can counter you, since he will end next to you. You can also ONLY KO people off-stage.
So it has its advantages and its weaknesses, what do you think, is it a buff or a nerf ? Share your opinion !

Soul.

Thunder is probably both a buff and a nerf. It's a buff because it lets Pikachu combo the opponent if it hits at the upper part of the bolt. It could be used as an edge-guard, but I don't think it will be used that way, more like a combo set-up. It's a nerf because Pikachu can't Thunderspike anymore, and the opponent can still dodge the move.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
I take it as a nerf. Mainly because thunder can no longer kill at early percentages. Well as long as your trying to thunder spike your opponent, but yet if you can use an up smash without the opponent dodging you then it really doesn't affect Pikachu that much.

ZackTheGreat

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZackTheGreat
3DS FC
4227-2410-9609
I take it as a nerf, but as Shaymin said, thunder spike into up smash would be fantastic, and even more possible with the inclusion of spikes bouncing people off the ground. (I think.)

That being said I'm somewhat disappointed by this change because I do love me some thunder combos into the top bounding box of the stage.

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
I take it as a nerf, but as Shaymin said, thunder spike into up smash would be fantastic, and even more possible with the inclusion of spikes bouncing people off the ground. (I think.)

That being said I'm somewhat disappointed by this change because I do love me some thunder combos into the top bounding box of the stage.
that is if our chu isn't still cooling down by the time our opponent's hitstun ends and keeps out of up-smash territory. this'll be different than any other smash game for pikachu. it'll be fun experimenting with thunder hits from various height differences i guess.

Soul.

I'm pretty dissatisfied with the overall length of the lightningbold. 4:31 is the hit. it's really cool, because if not meteor canceled the opponent gets ms'd into pikachu's hitbox and gets the usual knockback.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaFeIVfTqBg
The length may not be that good, but it's more than enough for Pikachu to follow up with something like an Up Smash.
Now, you can imagine a Thunder → Down Smash → UAir combo, but I don't see that happening because Down Smash has higher ending lag this time.
We'll have to see which move can be followed up with Thunder. So far, the only move that can is Up Smash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom