• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Throw options?

Johnohue

Smash Cadet
So, as most of you probably know, throws are really good in smash. They are a good way to rack up damage, they give you a ton of control over your opponents position, and often lead in to follow ups. That being said, I've found little use for Luigi's. F-throw has no follow ups and is only for position. U-throw can combo spacies and fastfallers, but doesn't work at all if they DI behind you. B-throw doesn't kill until an unholy percentage, especially if they DI properly (pretty easy to do given the entire throw animation telegraphs it). D-throw is the only feasible one as it can sometimes lead into follow ups. D-throw, however, has no follow ups on any of the cast if they simply DI directly behind you. There's one exception and that's shiek (probably more), but only at 0%. You can D-throw her at 0 and get a turn around D-smash or F-tilt follow up. But that's all. If they keep DI-ing the same direction they'll get too far away even after the D-smash. One seemingly promising option is to wavedash back (when they DI behind you) and get a jab reset, but that's only if they don't tech. Pretty much, they can get behind you and tech before you can hit them again with anything. I've even tried to D-throw and fire off a misfire in their direction, but that only works with a tech away.

I've found this out because the people I've played with have all discovered this and now I really don't get anything off of throws. Most of the time I just pummel for the most damage or F-throw them off stage. What have you guys found as good follow ups on throws that are, more or less, unavoidable? Or even, what do you guys use Luigi's throws for that aren't necessarily follow ups?

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
See my Luigi Chain Grab Thread. As far as followups go (Downthrow(, if the sheet says they'll go too high for grab, SH or Longhop (whatever is appropriate for the matchup/attack you wanna do) and do the attack that puts the opponent in the least favorable position. Example, if the opponent is towards the ledge, I'll Dthrow->Bair is I'm facing away or FThrow->WD->Aerial followup if facing towards. Be careful with Zelda though, she's next to impossible to do throw followups on unless she's at super low percent where she can be DThrow->Longhop->Dair.

In general, you almost always can follow up with a Bair off the DThrow.

Johnohue

Smash Cadet
Well what I've found with my group of friends, who all have figured out how to D I perfectly behind me, it's not possible let to get any follow ups. And with luigis slow throw speed, it's pretty easy to react to. Basically what happens is 1. They're too low percentage and they hit the ground before I can follow up with anything, at which point they tech, or 2. They're too high a percentage and they can jump out of tumble faster than I can get to them. This us with the aid of wavedashes too and I haven't found anything. I'll lab with my friend later to make sure but with proper DI, I haven't found anything that works. And I've looked hard

Top Bottom