• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Three "new" Bomb Techniques

SnazzyPierre

Smash Rookie
Forgive me if these are already known, as I already watched all of the OP's videos in the TL General discussion thread, and none of them had these three things in them:

We already SORT of know about this first one (seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwoOEgVN9hE&t=1m21s -- time code in the URL), but if you do a full hop/fall from a height higher than a short hop, and right near the peak of your jump, Z drop the bomb (as if you were going to place it on a platform) and then Clawshot it (don't fast fall--it won't work if you FF off of a full hop), you'll send the bomb forward in a slightly mentally-deficient angle, which can most definitely work as a mix up for your Bomb-throwing game. Retreating full hops into this are also a thing, but I don't think it works on a full retreat, only on a partial retreat. This is also good if you can, say, full hop + DJ (you want a lot of height to make sure it disappears) and AGT the Bomb so that it disappears off the screen, and when they least expect it, Clawshot the Bomb at them.

Secondly, and somewhat related, is the platform-bound Bomb aerial Clawshot. Z drop the Bomb onto a floating platform and at whatever time you please, you can Clawshot it to easily launch it.

Thirdly, Z drop Bomb [Bubble]Shielding. This is a bit confusing as far as timing goes, but if you Z drop a bomb after the rise of a jump (do it during the rise and it will land before you, which is also useful, but not what's being discussed) and fall straight down (or backward, or forward, but this specifically applies to straight down), you can time it so that the Bomb hits the ground and blows up on your bubble shield. This, while it may not have endless applications and is certainly situational, is a good way to interrupt a foe's approach if you can do it fast enough, leaving you entirely protected (can't grab through a Bomb unless you've got a tether, and even if you have a tether, the Bomb might hit TL out of it, but I have not tested that) if you predicted their approach appropriately.

I thought up a fourth (even if it is fairly obvious), and it's using Z dropped bombs like a close-range C4. Z drop a bomb on the floor and you can blow it up by attacking it, of course. This can be useful with D-tilt and F-tilt (go with D-tilt), and possibly dash attack, jab, F-Smash, U-Smash (some platforms might be low enough for it to work), U-air (remember that you can SH and falling U-air bombs on above platforms, thought it may be difficult), D-air, aerial Clawshot, and a retreating F-air or B-air. You might even be able to do this with aerials while the bomb is still airborne and level/below you (I figure it's pretty obvious you can when it's above you with U-air)

Final notes:
If someone could test the following, that would be great:
1) the moves that can blow up Bombs without getting damaged (keep in mind that sometimes taking damage and blowing it up might be the best option)
2) test if TL can get grabbed if he gets hit by a Bomb explosion on the way to the grabber
3) what platforms TL can U-smash or U-tilt from below

We should come up with a name for whacking the bombs without exploding them, by the way. I'm thinking something like "soft whack."

Again, sorry if this all previously known information; I'm just trying to help the community.
inb4wedon'tneedyourhelp

Last edited:
Top Bottom