• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on who's better?

EatLivers

Smash Rookie
The changes as far as I know between Roy and Chrom are the following:

1. Damage distribution
2. Recovery

As for the title, I feel like Roy's the better character. He can go further out for edge guards because of his varying recovery. (Diagonal & verticle.) And I believe has a higher damage output if you hit the sweet spot on his sword. The only flaw I see with him is his damage distribution. And I don't know if I'd even consider it a weakness as it's situational. He's a tipper and Chrom isn't. (Hopefully I'm using the correct term. New to the competitive scene.) Does Chrom have any advantages/differences over Roy that I don't know about? And what are your thoughts?

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302

1. Damage distribution
2. Recovery

As for the title, I feel like Roy's the better character. He can go further out for edge guards because of his varying recovery. (Diagonal & verticle.) And I believe has a higher damage output if you hit the sweet spot on his sword. The only flaw I see with him is his damage distribution. And I don't know if I'd even consider it a weakness as it's situational. He's a tipper and Chrom isn't. (Hopefully I'm using the correct term. New to the competitive scene.) Does Chrom have any advantages/differences over Roy that I don't know about? And what are your thoughts?
Personally I think over all it's Roy but in certain matchups where you can't get in the choice is Chrom

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I would say Chrom is better overall, but Roy is more consistent and thus the more desirable option a lot of the time. You’re allowed very little room for error with Chrom because of how exploitable his recovery is, but in return you’re granted all of the great things about Roy’s moveset without the main weakness.

I guess it’s most accurate to say that they’re equally viable because there are matchups that Roy does better in than Chrom and vice-versa.

EatLivers

Smash Rookie
I just tried out Chrom. He's really fun to use as well. I think he's a good counter pick to Wolf than using Roy. I'm going to use Chrom as my secondary. I haven't tested it yet but does Chrom have more range?

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
I just tried out Chrom. He's really fun to use as well. I think he's a good counter pick to Wolf than using Roy. I'm going to use Chrom as my secondary. I haven't tested it yet but does Chrom have more range?
I don't think so but he's much better against opponents that you can't get in with

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
All of his moves have the same range as Roy’s except for forward tilt, which has more because Chrom takes a step forward.

EatLivers

Smash Rookie
I would say Chrom is better overall, but Roy is more consistent and thus the more desirable option a lot of the time. You’re allowed very little room for error with Chrom because of how exploitable his recovery is, but in return you’re granted all of the great things about Roy’s moveset without the main weakness.

I guess it’s most accurate to say that they’re equally viable because there are matchups that Roy does better in than Chrom and vice-versa.
I've been practicing Chrom for a bit and he seems overall better than Roy. I think Chrom is better against shorter characters because he isn't a tipper unlike Roy. I've been fooling around with Chrom in training mode and discovered that there are many different ways to recover with him. His directional air dodges can sometimes make him recover when his recovery falls short. Plus he's really fun to use lol.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
I've been practicing Chrom for a bit and he seems overall better than Roy. I think Chrom is better against shorter characters because he isn't a tipper unlike Roy. I've been fooling around with Chrom in training mode and discovered that there are many different ways to recover with him. His directional air dodges can sometimes make him recover when his recovery falls short. Plus he's really fun to use lol.
Yeah I have to start using Chrom more but definitely pick Chrom in matchups where you can't really get in and Roy for people that can edgeguard or that you can get close to

EatLivers

Smash Rookie
Yeah I have to start using Chrom more but definitely pick Chrom in matchups where you can't really get in and Roy for people that can edgeguard or that you can get close to
I also think Roy is better against heavier characters because his reflect multiplies the damage instead of just reflecting it back 1x damage. His reflect is like 1.5x. Chrom can get edge guarded really easily by Joker and other characters with projectiles because his recovery is so linear.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I used to think that Roy was just always the better choice but after viewing in depth both after the game came out I personally now think it's a matter of preference, like consistency? Play Chrom, feel like high risk/high reward is worth it? Play Roy.

The_Marth_Madness

Smash Journeyman
Chrom is going to be easier to use but Roy is gonna have better payoff. Roy sour spot is good for combos and follow ups at higher percentages whereas Chrom's hit's won't be able to follow up outside of jab. Roy has better recovery but Chrom's up b can punish bad edgeguards.

I'd say they're pretty close and both very usable, but I feel Roy is going to have more potential overall.

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
Chrom is going to be easier to use but Roy is gonna have better payoff. Roy sour spot is good for combos and follow ups at higher percentages whereas Chrom's hit's won't be able to follow up outside of jab. Roy has better recovery but Chrom's up b can punish bad edgeguards.

I'd say they're pretty close and both very usable, but I feel Roy is going to have more potential overall.
What combos? I can rarely get Roy to combo with anything in Ultimate. His sourspots don't have enough hitstun, and his sweetspots have too much initial knockback. Between these two problems, Roy doesn't have enough time to chase closely enough for his follow-up to to yield anything but a disappointing sourspot.

At almost any percent, especially with throws, Chrom's combos are more reliable and more rewarding. His slightly lower knockback is more than compensated for in his greatly improved damage output.

The gap between Roy and Chrom isn't nearly as vast as Marth and Lucina, but as a former Roy main I find him far less satisfying now.

Ackzomp

Smash Rookie
To me, Roy and Chrom are a bit like Marth and Lucina. One is more consistent but does less damage and the other has hitboxes that deal different amounts of percent, and because of this are less consistent. However, I feel like Chrom is better as his consistency and properties of his moves seem to outweigh the benefits of having different hitboxes (I feel like Lucina has an advantage over Marth as well, but my opinion may change eventually). Also, Chrom's up-B is very exploitable but is also a great out-of-shield option and can spike, while Roy's has less applications but works as a recovery better than Chrom's up-B. Overall, I feel like Roy and Chrom are close together enough for you to be able to just play the one that fits you best (that's Chrom for me).

Ceru

Smash Rookie
Roy has more results and I think Jab > Bair makes him better overall. Mr. R has been making top 16s with Chrom though and as always he's smooth af.

CbM_

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1723-7582-5511
roy is the better imo
jab bair, ftilt is way stronger with sweetspots, and upair bair and stuff does more damege overall...
but it also depends on the matchups i think

Batzanova McMackin

Smash Rookie
What combos? I can rarely get Roy to combo with anything in Ultimate. His sourspots don't have enough hitstun, and his sweetspots have too much initial knockback. Between these two problems, Roy doesn't have enough time to chase closely enough for his follow-up to to yield anything but a disappointing sourspot.

At almost any percent, especially with throws, Chrom's combos are more reliable and more rewarding. His slightly lower knockback is more than compensated for in his greatly improved damage output.

The gap between Roy and Chrom isn't nearly as vast as Marth and Lucina, but as a former Roy main I find him far less satisfying now.
You can very easily set up DED with a SH Fair, even chain multiple SH Fairs together. I've been in the corner of Final Desto, come with a SH Fair OOS, gotten a clean hit, chained it into 2 or 3 more, which pushed my opponent all the way to the opposite corner in DS, then went into F Tilted DED, finished with a run off Fair to edge guard and close out the stock. That's technically a string, not a true combo, since Roy lacks many True Combos. But strings can be just as devastating, and possibly even more so than combos, since they don't have a routine set up that you just have to avoid at certain percentages. Strings are essentially freestyle, and as a result, one wrong move can absolutely be fatal against a skilled player, and that's across the board with all characters. Smash rewards creativity in a way other fighters don't tend to, and that's never a bad thing imo.

Last edited:

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
Chrom is better. His moves bring weaker mean they have slightly larger combo windows which makes all the difference as Chroy combo windows aren’t always the most generous (their moves are simultaneously combo and kill moves so in order to transition to the latter they have to have done knock back growth). He’s a true sword character which means he can space out the opponent unlike Roy giving him a better neutral. His forward tilt is 10x better than Roy’s. His recovery is not that much worse than Roy’s, and in certain matchups it’s just as good or may even be slightly better due to the vertical height. His up b oos id much much better due to if having massive horizontal range, whereas Roy’s has bad hit detection (The hitbox disappears halfway through) and short horizontal angle. Chrom is overall a better character than Roy, does better in every matchup bad Joker which he only does marginally worse in.

Lord Marshadow

Smash Rookie

1. Damage distribution
2. Recovery

Chrom is better with ground recovery there is almost escaping it once he hits you

Top Bottom