• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on upcoming games.

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1165]Thoughts on upcoming games.[/drupal]

So I recently downloaded the demo for Resident Evil 5 onto my PS3. And while I was playing it, I got this weird urge to write and deiced to post something about my thoughts on upcoming games.

First off the list is Resident Evil 5 (or Biohazard 5, which ever your prefer). First thing I want to point out is that it play exactly like RE 4. Fine by me, why mess with an already good game mechanic? Okay, that's not totally true. They did fix one part of RE4 that I didn't like, having to pause the game, and go through a whole bunch of sub menus to use anything or change guns. But at they same time they've messed it up to. You can hit triangle to open a menu with all of the items you've collected in it and select it from there (think Ratchet and Clank). But they made the stupid, stupid mistake of not making it so that the game pauses. I can understand this in online or Co-op but in single player? I would also like to comment on your AI controlled ally. During the second stage that they let you play in the demo she gets on top of a roof and snipes bad guys that try to kill you, and does a really good job at it. But don't think that this means that her AI is good because her I.Q. drops about twenty points when you can see her (performance anxiety?). I'm probably going to wait a bit after it comes and pick one up used for a lower price if I ever get it.

Next I would like to mention an exiting (and completely original) new game that was just announced called Singularity. It's a new FPS being made by Raven Software (who made Soldier of Fortune, which I never played). What sets this game apart from other FPS' is that you'll be able to control time! What an original idea , I want to meet the man who came up with such brilliance!

Okay, now that I'm done riding the sarcasm train I can move onto a game that I actually care about. Actually there are three games in particular that got my interest, first of which being a game called ****ation (which is gong to be read as "asterisk-asterisk-asterisk-asterisk-ation once this is posted). ****ation is described as a "vertical shooter." This apparently means that it's going to be a cross between a third person shooter and a platformer. Kind of like Dirge of Cerberus only with more emphasis on the platforming. They haven't said much on the storyline, from what I know it takes place in a Steampunk version of the US during the 1800s. I could honestly care less whether or not this game's story is worse than Sonic Unleashed's, because it's a freaking shooter. Meaning that it doesn't matter is the story sucks just so long as it's freaking fun. Yeah, you know, fun. That weird thing that people who aren't obsessed with whether or not their game is "popular" or "mainstream" has. And the reason why I say this is because a small company named Blue Omega is making this game. Ever heard of them? No? Good, because this is their first game. And if there's one thing I've learned, it's that the best games are the most obscure or the ones made by companies people have never heard about. I would also like to say that it's about **** time that we see a shooter that isn't about aliens nor involves them. Come on, we've shot aliens as a guy in a green suit, as an army ranger from the 50s, a guy who likes taking chainsaws to his enemy's head, hell, we've even had a freaking survival horror game about aliens. Thank God for my favorite genre, steampunk.

Next I would like to introduce is called Edge of Twilight, being made by Fuzzyeyes, yet another obscure company. Edge of Twilight is a Steampunk fantasy RPG that is set in a post-apocalyptic world that has been separated into two realms of day and night. The main character is a man named Lex (must... avoid.... superman reference) who is the last half-breed (they're not very clear what his halves are) who is an outcast because of this. Somehow, he gets involved in a battle between the realms of day and night. Interesting story, but they're a little fuzzy on the game play. I'm just hoping this turns out to be good, because out of all of the RPGs that have been released for current-gen system the only one I actually like was Folklore. Too bad they're a dieing breed, I personally blame Mircosoft.

The third and final game that I wanted to mention was Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard. Eat Lead is a shooter without a dead-serious plot. Finally, I was getting sick of those overly serious ones. In EL: tRoMH an obscure video game hero from the 80s named Matt Hazard is called back into action to star in a new video game. But it turns out that there's more to this than just being a game, the programmers are out to actually kill him! Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway) this game doesn't take itself seriously, and is therefor instantly awesome. More so than Halo or Gear of War.

rhan

Smash Hero
Regarding Resident Evil 5:

You realise that the Demo still had bugs that still needed to be worked out. Like for example what you said about when you look at the ally. That should be fixed in the final project. The pausing is kinda ridiculous but it's suppose to keep you active and make it more of a challenge. Kinda like how FF7/FFX-2 had their gameplay as. If you wasn't quick minded and quick fingered then you'll fail miserably.

Also You can't always judge a game on a demo. If that was possible then Fear 2 isn't scary. How do I know this just from the demo? I don't. They won't feed you the entire game in just the demo. You can only make judgements on the final projects. A demo is just a appetizer of the final project. Not to be mistaken for the main course.

Top Bottom