• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on the Dr. Mario Now

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
Just want to know everyone's thoughts on Dr. Mario now whether you Main him or Main him as a secondary or just use him for fun.

For me, I love Dr. Mario and I use him as a secondary, I actually prefer him over Mario and even Luigi and Wario. He's my most used Mario Character, he's really fun to play with and he's not that bad like some people are saying. He's a bit tricky and it takes practice with him, the more I played with Dr. Mario the more I got better with him. Just because he's slow and has bad recovery doesn't make him bad. He just takes practice but overall he's a pretty good character. IMO. So that's just my thoughts on Dr. Mario.

KeeblerGuy

Smash Cadet
Extremely strong combos. Excellent and reliable early kills moves in primarily fsmash (other smashes are great too) and off stage down/up B. Great grab game and spacing options. Good stage pressure with pills, and good shield pressure with Bair (need to master the spacing of it) and roll/spot dodge coverage via Down B. Strong gimps with Side/Down B. Has a hard time getting in on some of the cast (Rosalina). Bad range and bad speed to accompany that. Okay horizontal recovery, but bad vertical (2nd worst).

Overall, I'd say mid tier at best. You can't solo main him because the way he works is that he completely rekks characters or gets rekt by them - then again this is my opinion. I reccomend him as a secondary but he is also a solid main anyways.

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
My rule that I've always followed ever since Melee came out is that Mario cannot kill as efficiently as Doc, so I use the Doc. But if you're talking about the SSB4 version of Dr. Mario, I'd say he requires more thought on how to play, compared to Mario, who can be played aggressively without much fear. While Doc isn't as good as he was in Melee, he gained some new tools that make him more satisfying and fun to play as, namely the use of Dr. Tornado as an edgeguard tool.

While I really don't believe in tiers especially for this game due to it's age and the fact that most of the cast is well-balanced, Doc should rest around the mid tiers. There's really only one matchup that I don't like (Rosalina), but even with that the roster is way too balanced to have incredibly disadvantageous matchups.

One advantage about Doc right now: he's underrepresented at the moment (Though with customs being legal that might change, for good or bad). While everyone will be busy practicing their Diddies or Yoshies, they'll forget about the "lower tiers". :)

Xcelerator

Smash Cadet
I couldnt agree with DJDave more. Dr Mario is one of the most fun and rewarding characters in this game. And somewhat slow dashspeed and bad recovery does NOT make a character instantly low tier as DJDave stated before.

LuCypha X

Smash Rookie
I think he will be mid tier. His recovery is bad, but he've great killpower. PLUS you can play him aggressive and defensively - so you can modify your playstyle anytime.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
The customs craze will raise Doc on the popularity charts. And even without customs I never found him as terrible as they claim.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I will main Doc if customs become a legitimate thing and not something questionable. We'll see after EVO.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
I'm a Doc main. I love Doc for every reason, he hits MUCH harder than mario, and kills much easier and quicker than reg mario. And the Doc Tornado move immediately makes me prefer him over regular mario. The Doc Tornado move is great in so many situations. If your opponent roles, you're edge guarding, or recovering. And this move can seriously surprise your opponent at any given moment, it's such a nice tool to throw out there whenever you want to. Plus Doc's up-B out of shield is amazing. As a kill move or out of shield. His up b when sweet spotted just destroys.

And honestly, Doc's recovery isn't great, but I can't seem to understand what's so "AWFULLL" about it. If you know how to control Doc Tornado properly Doc's recovery is actually pretty good and opponents are scared to go near you while you recover because there's a chance they'll get caught in the tornado and spiked off the side of the stage, or Up-B'd similarly.

Last edited:

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
I secondary Doc and mainly use him just for fun. I probably won't showcase him in a tournament anytime soon as I'm not too confident with my ability with him compared to Yoshi. I just had to play the character since I mained Doc in melee. With customs, I'm definitely more inclined to play him.

Pagan

Smash Rookie
NNID
timetrapped
3DS FC
4914-5720-7420
I never played Melee competitively and mained Lucas in Brawl and Project M. I've been using Ness since the release of Smash 4 but recently switched to using Dr. Mario. Why? I'm not sure. It's really strange because I absolutely hate playing Mario. I'm not an expert on Smash and haven't been playing competitively too long but I will say that initially when I was a Ness main I felt Dr. Mario was too slow and his recovery was so bad that he would never be worth it. I tried really hard but never was able to win with him so I reverted back to Ness.

Recently however I decided to give it another shot and for some strange reason everything just started to make sense. His play style, mechanics, everything just connected and I started to dominate with him online. It was an amazing experience and extremely fun to start winning with Dr. Mario. I've realized that it takes a lot more patience and time when learning how to use Dr. Mario and you have to stay focused because he does have a lot of drawbacks that can leave him exposed and shorthanded during competitively play. Though if you were to truly master him and were able to stay focused 100% of the time then I truly believe that Dr. Mario could be a tournament winning character. He has a lot of potential and my favorite thing about him is that it makes the game harder. Playing him is like boxing with weights on your ankles - in a good way. A lot of times after six or seven matches of using Dr. Mario when I try using Ness I feel like the weight is lifted and I completely dominate the match.

It's kind of weird. Not trying to say I see Dr. Mario only as a tool to help practice with to get better for another character but to help you learn more about the game and get generally better as a player overall. He's definitely a tricky character with possibly the best forward smash in the game. An extremely underrated character with a lot of hidden potential. I just think he's one the hardest characters to master.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
I would say Dr.M is my 3rd most used, I normally choose Doc when opponents go Mario

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm leveling up my Doc because I legitimately believe the character is underrated in several matchups. Small chance I may consider him as a secondary in tournament.

Plus, 3 frame Shoryuken is quite possibly the most satisfying defensive option in the game. Absolutely everyone has to respect it.

Personally, I'm on @TTTTTsd line of thought that Doc is extremely different from Mario and has different good and bad matchups. The majority of Doc's strengths are defensive, with his lower short hop leading to better B-air oos punishes (for 14%, no less), 3 frame Shoryuken being godlike, and both D-air and Tornado commanding respect in their ability to stuff various aggressive moves from your opponent. Furthermore even though Doc has more trouble chasing people, his Up-B and Tornado let him actually kill people once he puts himself in a favorable position. So basically winning neutral with Doc leads to a lot more opportunities overall.

MustDash <NeDave>

Smash Cadet
NNID
NeDavid
3DS FC
1289-8218-1036
I have been using Mario since the beginning, but there is no doubt there are also some awesome techniques and perks to use with the Doc.

I was rather discouraged by his uair that had very little knock-back and I couldn't really keep opponents in the air like with Mario, but I was pleased to see recently that I can go for a grab on fast falling characters with it or just fast fall and go for a string or combo on the ground. Of course there is the matter of my opponents pulling out a jump to get away if they can, I still have to play more with Doc and do some more follow ups.

I'll be happily using both Mario and the Doc and looking forward in learning more techniques with the good Dr.

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
I've been playing the Doc for awhile now and he's one of the most fun characters to play in my opinion, especially with customs.
Screw the tier lists, Doctor Mario is fun and that's what matters.
Do I think a Doctor Mario main can win EVO?
Eh, maybe not right now, but I do think Doctor Mario has potential to do well in brackets

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
I think doc has better and long going combos but I still prefer melee overall but he's still a solid character.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Thoughts ?

Doc is decent. He has less combos than Mario but he can kill earlier. His recovery is pretty bad but that's not enough for me too see him as a bad character in my eyes.

Doctor_Mario

Smash Apprentice
Thinking about it now, I think Doctor Mario is a definition of a well balanced character. In melee, we can argue, but in Smash 4, he has a fast neutral aerial (So he can break out of combos), very good combo startup (His sliding kick), very powerful, but he has speed drawbacks, and he has projectiles and can reflect them, making him very balanced in my opinion.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Balanced CQC fighter with a well-rounded kit to combat any situation is what I like about him.
Plus, he's underrated. You can't have Mario's frame data and be bottom tier.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
You know a board lacks new threads when people start to revive old threads lol

Top Bottom