• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Gen 8 Starters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I was expecting more overall. I think most were expecting dual typings which would've been ideal seeing as we've had several mono-types so far. Design wise Rillaboom is the only final evo that seemed pretty interesting. In my opinion the are two are too anthropamorphic. Not subtle at all. Though I still like aspects of Intelleon's design even if I'm not a fan of the direction taken. Battle/Adventure wise it seems Cinderace and Intelleon are quite good with their learn-sets. Rillaboom could really use some help from teachable moves though. Competitively my initial impression is that we'll have another greninja-esque situation with Cinderace. Particularly with what is essentially the same hidden ability, for whatever reason.

Overall, not terrible but kinda disappointing if you ask me.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
At first, I was kind of unsure what starter I would choose, but after seeing the leaked final evos, I'm really glad with how Scorbunny turned out.

IMO, the Scorbunny line's designs are pretty solid overall.

The Sobble line's designs kind of peaks with Sobble, drops immensely with Drizzile, and rises a bit back up with Inteleon.

I've never been a huge fan of Grookey to begin with, and it drops a bit with Thwackey, but it peaks with Rillaboom.

Cinderace is definitely my favorite. Pyro Ball has such a nice animation and it's so strong too. I wish Scorbunny learned High Jump Kick via level up rather than through breeding though.

I was kind of expecting dual typings too, with Cinderace being Fire/Fighting which I would've been actually fine with. Inteleon probably should've been Water/Dark, and Rillaboom could've been Grass/Fighting, but all of those types have been done already, and it wouldn't really be balanced like the Kalos starters were.

All in all though, I'm fine with how the starters turned out, the Scorbunny line especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom