• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on a Hazards ON Stagelist? (For Side Events)

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I feel like with the FoD fix, we actually have a decent amount of stages that are competitively, but not logistically viable in the Hazards-Off environment.

Starters:

Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Fountain of Dreams
Smashville

Counterpicks:

Lylat (tilts again)
Duck Hunt

Maybes:

Ps1
Halberd

You could also stuff in FD/TnC, but I feel like they'd defeat the purpose of this side event if players just keep going to those.

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
I feel like with the FoD fix, we actually have a decent amount of stages that are competitively, but not logistically viable in the Hazards-Off environment.

Starters:

Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Fountain of Dreams
Smashville

Counterpicks:

Lylat (tilts again)
Duck Hunt

Maybes:

Ps1
Halberd

You could also stuff in FD/TnC, but I feel like they'd defeat the purpose of this side event if players just keep going to those.
While FoD and Smashville are great with Hazards On, Duck Hunt and Halberd would never be legal if they aren't legal without hazards.

YI:B is uh, an interesting stage. It's fun, but I don't know if it would be viable persay. It has a lot of variables to it including shy guys.

Lylat would absolutely not be good with tilting. Whether or not its viable is one thing, but this is a matter of community hatred towards it tilting. Would never work.

I have mentioned this before though in the stagelist discussion thread. You could have a better Town & City, arguably better Smashville, and an amazing FoD (when it gets fixed), alongside Battlefield and FD for a super diverse stagelist of some of the best stages in smash history.

Sure it's only 5, but it's super balanced and would be a blast to play on.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
While FoD and Smashville are great with Hazards On, Duck Hunt and Halberd would never be legal if they aren't legal without hazards.

YI:B is uh, an interesting stage. It's fun, but I don't know if it would be viable persay. It has a lot of variables to it including shy guys.

Lylat would absolutely not be good with tilting. Whether or not its viable is one thing, but this is a matter of community hatred towards it tilting. Would never work.

I have mentioned this before though in the stagelist discussion thread. You could have a better Town & City, arguably better Smashville, and an amazing FoD (when it gets fixed), alongside Battlefield and FD for a super diverse stagelist of some of the best stages in smash history.

Sure it's only 5, but it's super balanced and would be a blast to play on.
Well, this would be in a side-event environment. Where things can be a little less standardized.

Duck hunt was legal for many years in s4, even with the hazards. I'd say it's on par with the tilting lylat in regards to effecting matches. (Changes auto-cancel heights/shield safety)

I didn't submit this to the official stagelist discussion as they're more tuned to official stagelist discussion where balance, logistics, and cohesion are important variables.

I'd say just the most important variables for this side event would be:

-Being different and interesting enough to warrant doing
-Similar and balanced enough to still be 'fun' and gain a large entry rate

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
Why make it for a side event. Many of the banned stages in Ultimate are competitively viable with hazards off. PS1, YI melee, Halberd, Frigate, SV, Town and City, FD, BF, Dreamland, Delfino, etc. You could make a whole stage list from that alone. People are basing their opinions about stages on things they personally don't like. Others complain about temporary walls, walkoffs, or hazards that pretty much telegraph when they are happen and aren't permanent. Finally, some smashers highlight things that did or didn't work in a previous smash games. That's not the way to do it. These arguments don't work. This is a different smash game. It's still in it's infancy. We need to explore other options for competitive play and not just go off of theories.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Why make it for a side event. Many of the banned stages in Ultimate are competitively viable with hazards off. PS1, YI melee, Halberd, Frigate, SV, Town and City, FD, BF, Dreamland, Delfino, etc. You could make a whole stage list from that alone. People are basing their opinions about stages on things they personally don't like. Others complain about temporary walls, walkoffs, or hazards that pretty much telegraph when they are happen and aren't permanent. Finally, some smashers highlight things that did or didn't work in a previous smash games. That's not the way to do it. These arguments don't work. This is a different smash game. It's still in it's infancy. We need to explore other options for competitive play and not just go off of theories.
Side events make for a good testing ground if nothing else. I don't agree many of these stages are competitively viable in ultimate, but a side event would at least help gather data to help prove or disprove the theory of their validity without the disruption of the current meta.

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Side events make for a good testing ground if nothing else. I don't agree many of these stages are competitively viable in ultimate, but a side event would at least help gather data to help prove or disprove the theory of their validity without the disruption of the current meta.
I've thought about hosting an online tournament myself that uses more experimental stages for the fun of it. I think there is definitely an interest in this kind of thing, but I don't know if we'd get nearly enough people.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Disagree on Delfino Plaza and Halberd. Delfino maintains its transformations in hazards off, so you have walkoffs and water and all the weird interactions brought by a transforming stage. Halberd has walkoffs for a good portion of the opening which also leads to weird interactions, as well as a distracting background. That said, a side event would be an excellent means of testing the multitude of still-pretty-good stages. I'd be all for it!

Top Bottom