• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This guy on Friend Finders did an odd technigue

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman
I played several matches against a guy on SWF Friend Finder, I don't know who it was. One match we were on Smashville, I had Lucario and he had Ice Climbers. A few times he would grab me, do a throw where I ended up on the ground in front of him (it looked like a Down Throw to me, but I don't use Ice Climbers so IDK) and use the ice block attack before I could stand up. It would stun my character, and before I could stand up, he would use it again, and so on. Each hit would move me slightly backward and he only stopped when I fell off the edge and he couldn't hit me anymore. I took a LOT of damage, I think 100+ each time. I couldn't stand attack or shield or DI out of it. I would've been annoyed but it looked kind of funny:laugh:

What is this called and is there a way to get out of it?

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
I think that is their chain grab... I don't know anything about them, so I wouldn't know. But it sounds like it would be.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Ah. Thanks. Now does it build up damage slower or quicker than chain grabbing?
Slower, but it can be used as part of an inescapable chain, afaik. Also I think it's escapable if they mess up the timing of the ice shots, right? I never ironed out this trick myself...

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's the ice block lock and it's totally inescapable
This is incorrect.

You can escape this by DI'ing the fair towards the IC's. You will land behind them.

Even if you do get into the IBL, you can DI each Ice Block inwards and escape fairly quickly. Or if you are near the edge, di them outwards so that you reach the edge faster.

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman
This is incorrect.

You can escape this by DI'ing the fair towards the IC's. You will land behind them.

Even if you do get into the IBL, you can DI each Ice Block inwards and escape fairly quickly. Or if you are near the edge, di them outwards so that you reach the edge faster.
Okay thanks, I'll try that if it happens again.

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes though, when you DI toward the IC's, you get hit in the back, pushing you toward the ICs. hence the unreliable reverse Ice Block lock.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
This is incorrect.

Exactly.

I've done some testing and it only takes 2 Di'd ice blocks(away from your opponent) to escape it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
If you smash-DI the blocks it's even faster and can even mess up their rhythm.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
This is incorrect.

or just tech the fair...

Top Bottom