• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Third party vs Official

KishinX

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0018-2639-5696
Greeting all and thanks for checking out my thread. I'm relatively new to smashboards so i'm sorry if i posted this in the wrong section.

I'm curious about difference between a Official GC controller, the one that comes in the wii u's bundle and a third party one (Generic Compatible, Madkatz, Nyko)

are there any differences in the overall quality, is there a delay difference or maybe something else i'm not aware of?

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Third party controllers tend to be extremely sensitive, poorly tuned, prone to sticking, and made of cheaper parts put poorly together. I have had several rubber grip pads on the directional stick just slide off, for example.

But I honestly don't know the comparison between GameCube originals and the Smash reprint. If someone could clarify that one for me, it would be great (preferably someone that has played several titles competitively).

1amayzingman

Smash Cadet
NNID
1amayzingman
Original controllers are the way to go if you plan on playing competitively, plain and simple.

As for third party controllers/after market controllers I'd say they work fine for casual play and whatnot, especially since they're pretty inexpensive however they're made with very cheap material. Longest working third party controller I've had was a Madkatz and I've had it for about 8 years or so...it still works, but the buttons feel terrible, the C stick gets stuck easily and the joystick just feels god awful.

In terms of expense, I'd say just raise money to buy an original GC control online or something, you can find them in pretty good condition for about $15-30 bucks...I'd rather raise money for that then spend $5 on a piece of junk that probably won't last a month.

Last edited:

1amayzingman

Smash Cadet
NNID
1amayzingman
Third party controllers tend to be extremely sensitive, poorly tuned, prone to sticking, and made of cheaper parts put poorly together. I have had several rubber grip pads on the directional stick just slide off, for example.

But I honestly don't know the comparison between GameCube originals and the Smash reprint. If someone could clarify that one for me, it would be great (preferably someone that has played several titles competitively).
I have played with both the original and smash reprints. The Smash controllers are fine, however it feels like its made with cheaper material than the original controller. also, im not sure if its just my controller, but my L & R buttons tend to lock sometimes...maybe it just needs breaking in? Who knows.

Top Bottom