• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things Zamus mains should pay attention to

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
These are just a couple of ideas I've been having, and which I think people playing as Zamus should consider. They may or may not end up being useful, but they're certainly worth trying.

Shield pressure
Try a low-lag aerial like nair, or if your opponent is at high percent, bair. Follow up with ftilt. Why ftilt? Easy, it doesn't natural combo, so you can follow it up with anything. Furthermore, if you space this right, you can be out of range of most shield grabs, and if your opponent tries to shield grab, dtilt will probably sweetspot at Zamus's toe, leaving your opponent open for combos.

B-Reversal and you
B-Reversals are amazing. I'm just going to say this now. If you've been paying attention, you know you can do turnaround specials like in Melee, but you can also turn your B-moves around instantaneously by pressing in the opposite direction in the first few frames of the attack. This is called a B-reversal.

We've already seen one use of B-Reversals in Flip Jump. If you are facing away from the stage when you start the move, but tap towards the stage in the first few frames, you'll jump towards the stage.

However, there's another great use to this. We all know that if Plasma Wire is used below the stage within range of the edge, it will auto-sweetspot, which makes Zamus' UpB spike seem less useful. However, with B-reversals, UpB will not sweetspot, but will come out normally. Run off the stage with this for surprise spikes.

Zamus' game also sees amazing new options with turnaround specials into B-Reversals. If you have any momentum when doing a turnaround special into a B-reversal, and your Special has no momentum changing qualities, this will cause you to wavebounce (no, you don't neet to B-stick to get this effect).

Your spacing game will never be the same. Try this against a training mode dummy to see the effect. Jump towards the dummy from the distance at which Plasma Whip will hit, and perform Plasma Whip away from it, but then do a B-Reversal. You will land right back where you started in perfect spacing for the Whip to land. Now, do the same thing when jumping away from your opponent. This creates mindgame opportunities, as well as helps with spacing against, for instance, Lucas' PK Fire.

You can also do this by doing a turnaround paralizer into a B-reversal., and you can mindgame Plasma Wire attacks by wavebouncing them.

Of course, there's a bit of an issue in how much precision it takes to do this, but I think people who take the time to learn how to use it will benefit greatly. Tschüss

Garde

Smash Ace
I'm a bit confused about B-Reversals. When I turn around with air momentum while using the stun gun, I go back in the direction I came from (considering the only time you'd turn around in the middle of a stun gun is when you're moving away from you're opponent, heading back toward them with a laggy move like the stun gun isn't a great idea). That doesn't seem useful to me, so maybe I'm doing it wrong with that move.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
So jump towards them and then bounce backwards with a paralyzer. Draw in an attack, then bounce back with a ranged counter. Of course, the risk is that you don't have perfect wavebounces, which can hamper your ability to use this. This is why I tend to use it for the whip.

Vro

Smash Lord
So you're saying.. space your specials with b reversals, or just space them period. Can't argue with that.. just thought it was practical.

Garde

Smash Ace
You're misunderstanding my problem, ph00tbag. When I turn around, I go in the new direction I'm facing, I don't continue in the old direction. Meaning if I'm trying to get away from an opponent, the B-reversal turns me toward them and makes me go towards the enemy. If I'm trying to approach, I turn around and go away from them. I don't see how this is useful with the Paralyzer unless I'm doing something wrong, but it's definitetly a B-Reversal because it switches my momentum drastically, just not in a good way.

The only way I successfully use a Paralyzer when running away is by RARing it (so I'm facing the way I want to be when I leave the ground and it doesn't reverse my momentum), not through B-Reversal.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You're misunderstanding my problem, ph00tbag. When I turn around, I go in the new direction I'm facing, I don't continue in the old direction. Meaning if I'm trying to get away from an opponent, the B-reversal turns me toward them and makes me go towards the enemy. If I'm trying to approach, I turn around and go away from them. I don't see how this is useful with the Paralyzer unless I'm doing something wrong, but it's definitetly a B-Reversal because it switches my momentum drastically, just not in a good way.

The only way I successfully use a Paralyzer when running away is by RARing it (so I'm facing the way I want to be when I leave the ground and it doesn't reverse my momentum), not through B-Reversal.
Don't use a B-reversal to turn your Paralyzer unless you actually plan on tricking your opponent into doing something stupid. If you simply want to do a retreating Paralyzer, then use RAR or turnaround Paralyzer. They're two different tools for two different situations. Wavebouncing Paralyzer is if you want to play tricks on your opponent.

For example, let's say you're facing Link, and the first time you try to jump over his boomerang, he just throws out a usmash. Next time, you jump over the boomerang, he goes for the usmash again, but you've already bounced back and shot him with a Paralyzer. Then you can go in for a dash attack or grab.

It's nothing broken, but it's something to keep in mind.

Top Bottom