• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things needed to host/stream a tournament?

caneut

Smash Ace
There's a bar in my town that does ssb and mario kart ****, and I haven't been in but soon I want to go in and speak with management or something. I want to try and convince them to run some tourneys, but I don't know all that I need.

Right now the games are run on projectors, which is why I haven't been there yet, but I know I need a crt for tournies, and I have a big one I can donate to them.

Other than that, what would I need to split the games video source from the crt onto the projector as well, for viewers, and also stream? I'm sure my laptop can handle 1 video source from the console, and a webcam easily, however I don't really know how to get good commentary audio in a crowded loud place.

Also, for a small town scene, should tournies be held every Sunday like SSS? Maybe every other sunday sounds reasonable, with a $5 entrance fee, half going to the bar half going to the winner maybe?

Let me know if there's anything I missed that is also required.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
idk much about hosting tourneys or anything but i would just say during the first tourney you have try to gauge peoples interest to see how often people would be down to participate and u can decide how often to run tourneys from there

caneut

Smash Ace
KKKKKKKKKKKKk well i still would want there to be a crt tv and still take use of the projector. what kinda splitter do i need for that?

Edit: for some reason every time I tried to start my sentence with a capital K, it was not showing up. weird.

Last edited:

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
To run a tourney you need

People
Setups(consoles and CRTs)
a way to run the bracket(Tio Pro, Challonge, by hand)

If the CRT has video output, then you can capture the video and re-display it onto the projector. Or use RCA splitters to run the signal to everywhere you need it to.

To run a stream you need a streaming program (Xsplit or OBS), and a capture card, as well as an internet connection that is stable. To record you just need OBS, and possibly AmarecTV depending on your capture device.

Depending on how many people are interested, you should probably start small and run bi-weeklies or just meetups for friendlies. Advertise on facebook/make flyers and post them around.

Source: I run and manage most all smash related tournaments in my city.

Top Bottom