• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things I Learned at My First Tourney (Palutena related, mostly)

JHamron

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0688-6427-7438
I recently got into a local Smash 4 tournament for the first time. It wasn't that big, but my experience solely from online matches seems to have payed off and I was a few moves a way from winning some money. Most importantly, I learned quite a bit at my first tourney:

1. When you give off the impression you main Mewtwo to other tourney-goers, they get pleasantly surprised when you choose Palutena.
2. Palutena is an excellent counter pick for Olimar. (That Reflect Shield lays on the pressure) :3
3. Palutena isn't a bad pick against Bowser. :3
4. People will laugh when you make dumb jokes.
5. Castle Siege's transitions suck. Seriously, I was in the middle of an Auto-reticle when the floor drops faster than Falcon in Melee and sucks me to the bottom blast line. It cost me the tournament and I got stuck at 4th.
6. Tournaments are fun!

Anyway, what do you think? I had an excellent time and am happy to say this tournament is monthly. Do you have any tips or anything you've learned from tournaments?

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
People at my local friendlies were pleasantly surprised to see someone using such an underused character lol, I never get very far though, round 4 at the highest. We have some pretty good players @_@

JHamron

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0688-6427-7438
I don't think my local Sm4shers are very high profile. Our community is very much PM/Melee oriented (Smash 4 was barely even accepted as competitive here), and there was a big anime convention this weekend so it's hard to say for sure. However, not many people chose the same or popular characters. The people who knocked me down were playing ROB and Bowser.

Top Bottom