• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There will be one more DLC character after Mewtwo

Is this evidence solid?

• Yes

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Give me Ridley, I'm begging you.

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Italian_Boy1Up

Smash Rookie
I've done a bit of toying around with the official character select screen for the final version of Smash Bros for Wii U, as you can see here.

If you add all the unlockables in relatively predictable places judging from their placement in the 3DS version (obviously Little Mac is the only one in a completely different position), and if you move Duck Hunt next to him (only sensible place I could think to put him), that leaves us with two open slots before the screen is full. If we add Mewtwo to where Duck Hunt would presumably go if we were doing it as much like the 3DS version as possible (in other words, after Greninja). That still leaves one open spot as I have depicted below.

This means there is almost a 100% chance that we will be getting another character. While it could really be from any franchise, Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, and Fire Emblem are looking like likely candidates. If I had to make any educated guesses, it would have to be Ridley or potentially a return of Roy? Roy because Mewtwo and Dr. Mario are back (let's be honest, young Link is unnecessary). I know Ridley is a slim chance with how big his boss version is, but what would be a bigger hype reveal going into E3 next June than to reveal a new Metroid and then Ridley as DLC for Smash?...think about it.

In any case, thoughts or opinions? I think this is solid evidence that there will be one more DLC character, and sadly probably no more after that. But hey, Mewtwo is back baby.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
They could always make the character portraits smaller and add more rows, don't see how space would matter.

Italian_Boy1Up

Smash Rookie
Well yes, they could just change the size of the portraits, but we're still keeping "like" characters together and same-size rows presumably. That being said, if that's true, maybe that would mean you could add 4 more slots to the side of the select screen? That would mean 5 more DLC characters total. Somehow I have my doubts, and being a Nintendo fan, I've found myself to be more reserved in my predictions lol.

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
Oh we're getting more characters and definitely more than one. Whether it's just veterans, or we get newcomers, I can see it going either way. Sadly Ridley isn't likely until the next game, but I still would love to see him in this one.

1. The spot is likely for the "CSS arrows" which is how you pick DLC
2. It could possibly the remains of IC
3. The css would not choose DLC like that anyway

Italian_Boy1Up

Smash Rookie
1. The spot is likely for the "CSS arrows" which is how you pick DLC
2. It could possibly the remains of IC
3. The css would not choose DLC like that anyway

Those are good points. I suppose the two spots left open by Mewtwo and this other slot could be the two DLC arrows perhaps? It's hard to say. I suppose it's a valid point that DLC characters may not have an actual spot on the roster screen.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think it's cute how you had the empty slot right next to the two Samuses... :troll:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think it's cute how you had the empty slot right next to the two Samuses... :troll:
Obviously the Ice Climbers. Pit used to be retro like them, and they debuted around the time of Pit and Samus. :awesome:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Obviously the Ice Climbers. Pit used to be retro like them, and they debuted around the time of Pit and Samus. :awesome:
Ice Climber was in 1985... Metroid and Kid Icarus were in 1986... nice try but it's clearly Simon Belmont. :awesome:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!

One more character for that one more match, and that one more character should be Ridley.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
I'm pretty confident we'll get more than just one more DLC character.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
DLC characters will probably get their own section, the current roster shouldn't be an indicator for who we get or how many.

Italian_Boy1Up

Smash Rookie
As much as I'd love to believe we're getting 6 DLC characters, I just don't see it happening guys. I feel like if this were Namco or Capcom, that'd be a perfectly logical expectation. But this is Nintendo, they like to polish their content, and Sakurai said himself that adding new characters takes a long time just for one. Think about all those moves and all that balancing that they have to go through to be added.

Going back to Mario Kart 8, we're getting 6 new drivers. But you have to put that into context. Creating code for a driver that you just need to modify weight and speed balance probably takes infinitely less time then creating a full fledged fighter for Smash Bros with new moves, animations, and balancing it with the rest of the roster.

I really don't see how 2 DLC arrows would fit into the roster, or why we'd need two of them for that matter. Also, while the portraits could shrink and all, you have to keep in mind how many characters per franchise there are. There are more than 3 in the Zelda and Kirby rows. This means you couldn't separate them by bringing them up a row. The roster I depicted, while I too wish had more on it, really makes the most sense.

I'm not saying that DLC character is going to be in that row, because really Duck Hunt could go just about anywhere, meaning that extra slot could go anywhere. The reason I put him on the top row though, is because you can't bring Link up into the first row without breaking up the Zelda row. Same rules apply with the Kirby row.

I think that evidence leads me to believe the 2nd (and final) DLC character must be in the 2nd row. And I really feel like Metroid makes the most sense since Zelda, Fire Emblem, and Kid Icarus all have good representation already.

Also, it should probably be noted, I'm not a Metroid fan, never played any of the games, and could care less if Ridley is in or not (I just think it'd be cool for the thousands of people that want him). I just think a Metroid rep makes the most sense.

something_good

Smash Rookie
There is no way they would release only 1 DLC charater for the entire life of smash 4. There will be more. All with time.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Going back to Mario Kart 8, we're getting 6 new drivers. But you have to put that into context. Creating code for a driver that you just need to modify weight and speed balance probably takes infinitely less time then creating a full fledged fighter for Smash Bros with new moves, animations, and balancing it with the rest of the roster.
It is true that characters in Mario Kart mean very little, in comparison.
The balance in Mario Kart is given in the courses- and we were given a 50 percent increase in such via DLC.
I'm not claiming this is an indication of what DLC we would get for Smash Bros, but SSB is Nintendo's MARKET POINT. It single handedly won them E3, had multiple tournaments out before the game launched, has a daily updating worldwide hype website, and dozens of forums that have thousands of participants.
Not to mention, when Nintendo does DLC, they do it big. Even their first endeavor was Luigi U, and that was abut a 50 percent increase to the game as well. I cannot think of DLC they added only 'minimally.'

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
My money goes towards Wonder Red or Rayman.

Now watch it be a character LITERALLY no one asked for. But that character turns out to be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom