• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[THEORY] Wii U Games Supporting 3D

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
While playing Super Mario 3D Land on my 3DS today, I quickly realized something. The Wii U might have 3D capabilities. Now, the PS3 / PS4 and Xbox 360 / One support 3D playback with standard 3D glasses and a 3D capable TV. Nintendo was actually looking into 3D support for the Wii U for a while, but decided against it as there weren't enough 3DTV's in homes at that point. Now would be a great time to jump onto that bandwagon as they seem to have certain things in place to enable it in the future. While it may happen, it might not happen like I think it will. This is just my opinion and if you want to add on something, go ahead! This post is strictly for speaking my thoughts on the matter and what interesting experiences Nintendo can provide in the future. So...

1. Nintendo's Statement (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/06/wii-u-supports-3d-tvs-but-nintendo-wont-be-focusing-on-it/)
Iwata has stated that 3D was going to be part of the experience of the Wii U if hooked up to a 3D television even though that wouldn't be Nintendo's main priority as they were mostly focused on the core gaming experiences at that point. So, we "kind of" have official confirmation.

2. Super Mario 3D World

So what would Super Mario 3D World have anything to do with this theory? Well, the fact that is has too much DNA from 3D Land which was 3D enabled on the 3DS. If you have played 3D land, the game works weird in 2D. You feel like there is barely depth when playing in 2D, but was quickly fixed when playing in 3D. Super Mario 3D World has that same exact feel to it when playing at all. I mean they could have easily fixed that by modifying some code, but they didn't. Another thing to note is that the game hasn't been patched at all. Most of the Wii U games in the game library have been patched to add new features or fix bugs. This game hasn't. So are they going to patch the game in the future to enable 3D support?

Then finally...
3. The New Nintendo 3DS

Nintendo's mid-generation system that extends the 3DS's lifecycle. There is a lot of evidence suggesting potential 3D support and other capabilities with this handheld. To start off, the system has all the face buttons necessary to be a potential replacement for the Wii U Gamepad. Since it added the ZL and ZR buttons as well adding in the analog nub (or C-Stick) matching the amount of buttons on the gamepad. The New 3DS also has the exact video decoder chip in the Wii U gamepad which allows for the streaming of video (http://mynintendonews.com/2015/01/2...to-allow-streaming-of-wii-u-games-to-new-3ds/). The New 3DS actually uses that chip in its Internet Browser. It allows the 3DS to watch HTML5 videos in 2D as well as 3D. What this means is that Nintendo can easily stream the Wii U gamepad's image in 3D to the N3DS easily. This would allow anyone without a 3DTV to view Wii U games in 3D which would open up an entirely new group of people who don't want to pay for an expensive 3DTV. Plus, all of it would be possible with just a firmware update and not any other additional accessories. To support this theory more, the N3DS has NFC capabilities which could substitute as the NFC chip found in the Wii U gamepad. As well, the N3DS still has the old 3DS's IR sensor port which will likely not be used by any accessories. But it could potentially function as the TV remote button the Wii U Gamepad has (not to mention the gamepad has an IR sensor port as well for that function). EDIT: I almost forgot! The 3DS has a gyroscope! So there's more evidence.

So what do you guys think of my theory? Hopefully it could lead into a glimpse of what is to come in the future :grin:. Plus, who wouldn't want a N3DS and Wii U bundle?!?

Last edited:
Top Bottom