• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory and Application: Optimal Shield Break set-ups.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
I'm sure many who main Roy such as myself already know of Roy's ability to apply shield pressure, but the difficulty of executing a shield break. While I loathe making videos due to my lack of experience and my only tool being the replays from the Wii-U I will share some of my own set-ups.

I would like to see some expansion towards this as this could prove integral to Roy's meta-game. I will try to explain in detail the set-ups that I have so far made myself.

SET-UPS

-Perfect Pivot D-Smash: This set-up on an opponent's shield allows you to get into the opponent's shield with your back facing them in order to land both hits of Down Smash. The instructions to perform it are as follows:

1. Get into your perfect pivot distance. Have your front facing towards them.

2. Perfect Pivot into their shield. A part of Roy's model must be inside their shield. NOTE: Remember your back must be facing them for this to work.

3. Charge your D-Smash slightly and let it go. The first hit will push your opponent towards you slightly allowing the back hit's sweetspot to hit. Assuming you charged it enough, it should break their shield.

4. Profit/OHKO

-Extended Dash-Dance -> Perfect Pivot D-Smash: It follows the same concept of the first set-up but this time you end your Extended Dash Dance with a Perfect Pivot D-Smash.

1. Perform Extended Dash Dancing. Space yourself accordingly for your Perfect Pivot Distance.

2. Repeat the steps of Perfect Pivot D-Smash Set-up.

Hip Check F-tilt -> Pivot D-Smash/D-Smash

1. Learn what a Hip Check is if you don't know it. I will post an example video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7m0NHkmSDc

2. Perform a Hip-Check with F-Tilt on shield. This should put them in front of you while they sit in your shield.

3. Depending on the position of your model, perform a D-Smash. Remember to have your back facing them.

-Ledge Get-Up D-Smash: This one is more read based. Essentially you play mind-games with your opponent near the ledge. It is not exclusive to the ledge get-up however it is much easier to perform due to positioning.

1. Force your opponent into a normal get-up. If they shield use any of the above set-ups or if they perform an attack get-up, Perfect Shield it.

2. If you are in position then D-Smash. If they don't perform a Normal Get-Up then oh well. But due to the constant position in which a character enters after a normal get-up it is extremely easy to get into position even by just standing there. It's also noteworthy to remember that one CAN'T slide off a ledge when they are in their shield, allowing the positioning of Roy's model to be much more lenient as they won't be pushed far away.

-Shield Cross-Up Up-Air or N-Air

1. Cross-up your opponent using U-Air or N-Air. To cross them up you must pass through their shield with U-air.

2. Land behind them with an attempt at correct positioning. If positioned correctly then execute D-Smash.

-Tech Chase Scenarios: This is much more read-based.

1. Read your opponent's choice of movement in a No-Tech or Tech-Chase scenario.

2. Position Roy's model and perform a D-smash. If they do a floor attack, perfect shield it.

3. NOTE: This is especially much more useful if they have less space to move such as being on a platform or near the ledge. It makes the positioning much more lenient and the tech chase much easier to perform.

[More to Come with Research and I also haven't put some of the more read based ones such as Double F-Smash. Also cause typing a lot of info normally just tires me out quickly.]

COUNTERS

-In General: Good OoS options make it very difficult to perform any of these set-ups. However assuming you apply much more safe shield pressure then you can mix them up. You can also punish their OoS options assuming they are of the sort that can be punished easily such as a recovery move.

-D-Smash Set-ups: The unfortunate weakness of D-Smash set-ups is that either due to not charging it long enough or the move being stale, one is able to spot dodge the second incoming hit. However due to the speed of the move and the fact that one can't recognize that the set-up is being performed quickly enough, their shield is more than likely to shatter.

Another issue of that set-up is how much of their shield is left. If their shield is too small, both hits will not register on their shield and you will be punished.

Top Bottom