• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Toon Link "I was wrong!" Thread!

Ultimately, did you feel Toon Link would return?

• I knew he was going to return!

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • I thought it was pretty likely!

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I had no clue, really....

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • I was pretty sure he was gone.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • I thought he had no chance!

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've seen this idea spread across newcomer threads.

But I think certain veterans could benefit from having this in their sections.

Toon Link was seen as one of the most likely characters to be cut.

If you agreed with that sentiment, why did you feel that way?

:toonlink:

Last edited:
I always had my doubts, but I also had faith that he would return. I just hope he's good now.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I had an inkling that Toon Link would return.

I never really believed in the whole Spirit Train stage debacle indicating that Toon Link was "definitely" a goner, especially after hearing Sakurai's thoughts in terms of cuts and how majorly different Conductor Link looked from Toon Link in terms of graphics and design. So it was more or less 50/50 in regards to Toon Link's chances of returning as it could have indicated that he was either gone or hinting on him actually returning. Then there was of course the fact that they kept Link's Twilight Princess design instead of changing him into the Skyward Sword model indicating that they probably aren't planning to redesign any of the Zelda characters so chances would have been more in Toon Link's favor of returning rather then him getting replaced with Young Link or ALBW Link.

So to cut a long story short. I thought he had a good chance of returning.

andimidna

Smash Master
I thought he was going to be cut because that's all the little clone deserves.
Thanks for reducing the chances of my favorite series getting a single newcomer by (20%?), Link # ****ing 3!

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Thanks for reducing the chances of my favorite series getting a single newcomer by (20%?), Link # ****ing 3!
Let's not get hostile here.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I never gave up hope for him. And his reveal was appropriately rewarding.

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
I can't really explain it or put it into words exactly, but I had a gut feeling that he would come back from Brawl and not get cut. He was one of my mains from that game, so I'm just glad he's in.

Pékaßlu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0147-0376-7641
I knew he would be back but I wanted him to be cut :c

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I knew he would come back because of Wind Waker Hd.
And as you can tell from my avatar, I'm a huge Wind Waker and Toon Link fan.
Even if WWHD never existed he still had decent chances, he's like the most used art style in Zelda furthermore he's a clone (easier to make) and if Sakurai saw a reason for his inclusion before, after having Spirit Tracks, Wind Waker HD and knowing how A Link Between Worlds was nearly going to have him as the protagonist Link and Sakurai's attempt of adding Toon Zelda too the reasons for his inclusion in this smash were more than likely. Therefore it's just that people have that unreasonable hate for clones what set him as 'unlikely'.
Just wanted to clear it up.

Also, watching what Aonuma has been trying the last couple of years hopefully we'll see a new tooned styled game. I'm a wind waker fan too.

jigglover

Smash Lord
lol honestly I would rather Link be cut that Toon Link, since without another Link it really has an unvaried style of representation, which for a franchise like The Legend of Zelda would just seem wrong. Having just Link in Smash 64 was fair enough, but after the colossal 4 representatives introduced to the LoZ franchise in Melee, only having one Link would just seem wrong.

Did I think it would be Toon Link? Yeah, of course. I was expecting Link to have his Skyward Sword look, but I'm also incredibly happy he kept his design from Twilight Princess. Skyward Sword Link wasn't worth representation by itself, and the Wind Waker is one of the greatest games ever, and certainly an incredibly popular LoZ game. However, you also have Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass, both of which got representation this smash in the form of the Spirit Train stage and Zelda's Down Special attack being Phantom Slash, and all 3 are represented by Toon Link. I thought it was very likely that he would return, to the point where I would get annoyed every time someone provided awful reasoning for him nor coming back.

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
lol honestly I would rather Link be cut that Toon Link, since without another Link it really has an unvaried style of representation, which for a franchise like The Legend of Zelda would just seem wrong. Having just Link in Smash 64 was fair enough, but after the colossal 4 representatives introduced to the LoZ franchise in Melee, only having one Link would just seem wrong.

Did I think it would be Toon Link? Yeah, of course. I was expecting Link to have his Skyward Sword look, but I'm also incredibly happy he kept his design from Twilight Princess. Skyward Sword Link wasn't worth representation by itself, and the Wind Waker is one of the greatest games ever, and certainly an incredibly popular LoZ game. However, you also have Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass, both of which got representation this smash in the form of the Spirit Train stage and Zelda's Down Special attack being Phantom Slash, and all 3 are represented by Toon Link. I thought it was very likely that he would return, to the point where I would get annoyed every time someone provided awful reasoning for him nor coming back.
Yeah agreed with this! Plus toon link was a great fighter in brawl... I hate to admit it but when i get to play a meta knight that is impossible to win with my link, the only option that i got is toon link. He makes up for all the bad things link have. :(

JohannFKNFaust

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SamaelDevonJudd
Switch FC
SW 5644 9593 9010
So I wasn't wrong on :4tlink: return... although I wasn't right, either. Honestly, I had no idea if he was coming back before his confirmation, he isn't one of the character's I think of, and although I do enjoy playing as him, I do not do so competitively. What I was wrong about was something to do after his confirmation :ohwell:... I thought he'd be an exact clone of :4link:. I'm a little upset about this because, :4link: is one of my mains :scared: and this means, while watching his new moves, I didn't put in my mind, "hmm... :4tlink: will probably retain all of his moves from Brawl (most likely)." and this means I didn't do much thinking of my very original main... I'm so mad at myself...! :facepalm:

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I was pretty confident that he would return. Glad to see him back! I recently played WindWaker (HD) for the first time and it's by far my favorite Legend of Zelda, and I personally prefer Toon Link over regular Link because of his cartoon-y look and him being generally more expressive than regular Link.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Was thinking somethinig like 30% chance he'd make it back. Toon Link never really felt like a character people were all that hyped about to begin with. This was exacerbated by TL having a clone move set, so much potential wasted.

TheWerdna

Smash Lord
I thought for sure he was gone. I was like "damn, now I actually got to learn how to play new characters", and was super happy when I discovered I was completely wrong. Though I still plan to learn how to actually play people who aren't Toon Link too.

Top Bottom