• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The theater program in our school is more or less committing suicide

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Link to original post: [drupal=1285]The theater program in our school is more or less committing suicide [/drupal]

Hating the strenuous physical exercise needing being done in sports, I chose to do theater in Highschool, and I have been doing it since Freshman Year. I never really got a lot of parts (though I did play D'Arque in "Beauty and the Beast") but it has always been fun, and our school put on great productions. I personally feel like I've been screwed over in many auditions, part of it being my fault since I stutter when I read lines out loud the first time, but also since I'm never called back for a part I could probably perform. But that's not the issue.

Our theater year begins with one-act productions written by students. This year, me and a senior wrote and directed a comedy about Junk Food being illegal in America (it's better than it sounds) and it was well liked.

Our real problems began in The Fall Season. We were originally planning on doing "Jesus Christ Superstar" or "**** Yankees" but our principal said "no u" because she hated both ways, and our school priest didn't like the first suggestion since it arguably portrays a sympathetic view of Judas. So we did the only play they didn't disagree on: School House Rock Live.

I'm not going to explain what the play is about. If you don't know, look it up. Now those old School House Rock songs are classic, but the entire production was sloppy. and worse: we never had a full house once. People didn't come to see it, and we lost money. Our teacher blamed it on the economy, but the economy wouldn't prohibit our regular crowds from seeing an inexpensive show from a good theater group. It was because of the fact that barely anybody wants to see school house rock over a standard poupular musical.

Our winter play (Get Smart) went well (though I didn't get a part D
but even though it was good, it was poorly advertised, and we never had a full house.

Now we are doing "Oklahoma", which is a classic, but things are going wrong already. The cast looks great, except for one part: Will.
For those of you who have seen Oklahoma, Will is a very big role, though not the lead. He has a character of energeticness and enthusiasm. Five guys were tried for Will (I'm upset they didn't ask me, though they claim my voice is better)and two were given other lead roles. The last three guys were left, two of them being great singers and actors, and the other being lousy at both.

Now judging by the title, guess who got the role?

Bachelor #3 or course.

People are now pissed too no end, myself included. This guy had a weak audition. Everybody else was strong, and other people agree on this. A senior who didn't get the part but who has been involved for years was major pissed (and I've never seen this guy mad before)and he said "I don't mind not getting the part. I'm pissed at who beat me too it." and rightfully so, since he was overall better, had seniority, and had been devoted to the theater in every play, compared to the guy who got the part, who had a track record of delinquence, and had lost parts in the past for not showing up.

The reason he got the part? Because the director said he "moved better." BS. I call BS. Because anybody can learn that, and the other guys were moving just as well as him, if not better. I think he got the part because he's crossed the boundaries of student/actor and assistant director friendship, but that's my theory, and most agree with me, since he is overlyfriendly with our A.D.

Really though, I might sound butt hurt for not getting a part, but that guy didn't deserve it. Am I high and mighty here? Maybe a little. But I wouldn't say he didn't deserve it if he had a better track record/skills. THe fact he got the part over everybody else is just showing the breaking down of our theater. and we don't have any new kids from younger classes coming in. It may die out soon... sad as it is. I'm a junior, having one more year, and i hope they do something to improve instead of choosing lousy plays over good ones and giving neglegent actors high roles over devoted actors with actual skill.

finalark

SNORLAX
Wow.... it sounds like your drama teacher/director/whoever chooses to guy to play parts just kind of threw on a blind fold then spun around a few times, then pointed and that's who got the role. I personally enjoy a good play myself, but the play's already doomed if one part of the cast sucks. This year at my High School, the Drama Club (who does two plays a year) did "Merry Murders at Mont Marie" for their first play. All of the main cast had good actors/actresses playing their roles. But then later on in the play, they introduced another important charter who had a terrible actor playing him. That could have been a really good play, but the crappy guy killed it.

link64e

Smash Apprentice
That sucks. Stuff like this always happens in the Arts Field, and you can almost never do anything about it.
When I was in my school's Orchestra, the first 3 years were great, then all the good people graduated and all that was left were people who didn't care about practicing or sounding good. I got so frustrated with the orchestra that I got suspended a couple of time arguing with the teacher.

If you enjoy the theater then stick to it. Maybe you can find a Theater group outside of school to participate in.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
That sucks. Stuff like this always happens in the Arts Field, and you can almost never do anything about it.
When I was in my school's Orchestra, the first 3 years were great, then all the good people graduated and all that was left were people who didn't care about practicing or sounding good. I got so frustrated with the orchestra that I got suspended a couple of time arguing with the teacher.

If you enjoy the theater then stick to it. Maybe you can find a Theater group outside of school to participate in.
Though our school attempts pro theater, real pro theater is much more time consuming. I'm busy outside of arts, so i can't.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
You mean posting in the User Blogs section?
Ahaha, you're so cute child. If you're gonna try to burn me, be ****ing clever about it next time or you'll just embarrass yourself trying to be hilarious using over done "one size fits all" lines like that.

But yeah, AP classes aren't fun. So Highschool theater is simpler for now

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
and things just got worse. Many people have dropped due to the unsatisfactory role spread. We now only have about 4 non principle men in the chorus, and that isn't enough. Mens voices are needed and mini parts need filling. We convinced two crew members to sing in chorus numbers, but if we can't get anymore men, the play may be dropped.

Top Bottom